PCOS please help?

Options
The doctors think that I have Endometriosis or PCOS. How were you diagnosed with PCOS, because from the research that I have done that is what I believe that I have. I am not a doctor, nor do I claim to be....but I want to now what's wrong with me. I have been told that I have Endometriosis...then PCOS...then I was told that the doctors weren't sure. I feel like I am being strung along with these Military doctors...any advice or anything really could help. I just want to know what is wrong with me, that's it.

Replies

• Priscillawants74gone
    Options
    Laparoscopy may be the only way to get a definitive answer.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    What are your symptoms? PCOS, for me, doesn't hurt, I just grew some cysts and have always been heavy, hairy and only had a period for about 10 years.

Endo, on the other hand, I understand to be quite painful with heavy bleeding.
  • MsCandyLynn
    Options
    The doctors think that I have Endometriosis or PCOS. How were you diagnosed with PCOS, because from the research that I have done that is what I believe that I have. I am not a doctor, nor do I claim to be....but I want to now what's wrong with me. I have been told that I have Endometriosis...then PCOS...then I was told that the doctors weren't sure. I feel like I am being strung along with these Military doctors...any advice or anything really could help. I just want to know what is wrong with me, that's it.

My final dx came with a vag ultrasound to count the cyst on my ovaries and some blood test to test my male hormone..both came back high )= and i seen a miltitary dr before i got a final dx..and i hate mil drs..i always go to and RE (reproductive endocrinologist) for all my problems, even if im not trying ot concieve at that time.but my RE is my prescribing dr.. good luck and just know that if it is PCOS your not alone and you can beat it!!
  • twolilbeans
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago, and by the symptoms I've experienced it wasn't hard for the doctor to come to that conclusion. Recently I relocated to a new state and have different insurance and a new doctor. This new doctor says the only way to diagnose PCOS is through ultrasound, they have to see cysts...but everything I've researched said this is wrong. I used to get painful cysts on a monthly basis, but I don't get them anymore. But despite the fact that I no longer have the cysts, I still have PCOS.

Don't just go by the doctors opinions, next time you're there tell them you want an ultrasound done and blood tests to rule out anything else.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed by my symptoms and an ultrasound showing cyct on my ovaries. There are lots of symptoms that come with pcos, including.. hard to lose weight. If you dont like a doctors opinion move on to another dr if you can. I've learned you have to take care of you! You have to be your own advocate. The first dr I saw just insisted on birth control pills and nothing else. The second dr wanted me on Metphormin and something else(?) I could not get the answers I wanted so Im doing it on my own with diet and exercise. I feel pretty good these days. Good luck
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    Sorry if I'm intruding. My ex-wife has PCOS (we're still good friends). It's a tough thing to deal with. She's had a lot of blood tests and ultrasounds. From what she's told me recently, birth control really helps to regulate and deal with the symptoms. I hope they get everything figured for your soon. Best of luck.
  • muddymomm
    muddymomm Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Generally for endo they do a biospy of the unterine lining to test it. For PCOS, the most common way to start looking is doing a background of symptoms and an ultrasound of the ovaries.

What are your symptoms? I've had PCOS for going on 16 yrs now. I found out what I had on my own because I was surrounded by stupid dr's also. It was when we wanted to have another child and nothing was happening that I went to a dr, told them what I had, and made them check for me, even told them what they needed to check. But the symptoms do speak volumes.
    PCOS can also be painful, but not like endo. It's usually just pain in one ovary, sometimes both, right around the time you would normally ovulate, because that's when they are the largest. And endo pain is the whole uterine, lower abdomninal area. My sister sufferes from that, and her pain is totally different than mine.

Good news is, with proper diet and exercise you can make 90% of PCOS symptoms go away in most cases. I lost 101 lbs and my cycles returned to normal, the cysts quit forming, hair growth slowed down and my skin tags quit appearing. So, it can help a bunch. And if you eat a well balanced diet with only healthy whole wheats, proteins, fruits and veg, the weight comes off a little better than trying to diet by any other means with PCOS.

Heather
  • julsdenn
    Options

Good news is, with proper diet and exercise you can make 90% of PCOS symptoms go away in most cases. I lost 101 lbs and my cycles returned to normal, the cysts quit forming, hair growth slowed down and my skin tags quit appearing. So, it can help a bunch. And if you eat a well balanced diet with only healthy whole wheats, proteins, fruits and veg, the weight comes off a little better than trying to diet by any other means with PCOS.

Heather

Wow great to hear this! I have PCOS and I, too, have a really hard time losing weight.

I found out when a lady at work was telling me about it. I had just started to gain a lot of weight (in my mid-section) and everyone at work was gossiping that i was pregnant. The lady told me that she didn't believe i was pregnant, but that i had PCOS. I then researched it and my symptoms were that my periods were rare and very paintful, i have a lot of hair growth and my weight is all carried in my middle section. in the last 3 years i've gained 60 pounds. I went to the doctor and told him what i thought and they did an ultra sound and took blood. I had cysts and i had that male testosterone. That's how they knew that i had it. Hope that helps!
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with PCOS and endo for a LONG time. The more weight I put on, the worse is got. It's important (or at least it was in my case) to not use it as a crutch. You CAN loose weight, it just requires more effort. Once you get some weight off, things should get better. Mine got so incredibly severe and cancer runs is prevalent in my family so I was forced to have a hysterectomy. Before that though, nothing really helped me besides loosing weight and eating right.

The most important part is having a doctor you can trust and who takes you seriously.

Feel free to add me if you need support!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Have you went through ultrasound testing? My case, I have been to those many times because I never have any regular periods my whole life since I have puberty at 11years old and only have it 3x a year the most. Then 2009, I suddenly gained a lot of weight and my waistline ballooned then later on that year, I was diagnosed with PCOS and also don't have a female hormone progesterone which is why I took a progesterone pill for 3 months along with my metformin and my gyne told me that my body supposed to make its own progesterone agter 3 months. so for 3 months i had regular monthly periods but all went back to normal after i stopped the pill. It seems mine is incurable and worse part is that PCOS caused me to become a full-blown diabetic. And my chances of getting pregnant is less than .01%.

Its really tough to deal with it but I didn't let it interfere with my life.