Pregnant with GD

Options
Hey. I'm pregnant with GD. I'm having a hard time staying in my calorie range. Of course I'm hungry. 3 snack and 30 meals a day. I'm only allowed 60 carbs per meal. I'm on a lifting restriction so light walking is pretty much my option. Please any advice??

Replies

• BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Does your doctor or medical group have a registered dietitian you could visit, or a GD intro class? I found that helpful. My medical group had mandatory check ins with the RD, which I resented at the time but were actually helpful.

Walking is great for GD, if you’ve been cleared by your doctor. My best blood glucose numbers were always when I was walking regularly. Your mileage may vary, but for me even just a 10 minute stroll after each meal kept the next day’s numbers in check.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Dang, low carb would have been hard for me during pregnancy since carbs were the only thing I could tolerate without extreme nausea! I think seeing a RD is a fantastic idea; they will likely be able to provide some ideas of meals that fit your dietary needs.
    Also walking is wonderful exercise and doesn’t get the respect it deserves. I walked my whole pregnancy ~5x days a week (sometimes just a mile and other days 3-4 miles depending on how I felt) and it kept my pregnancy weight gain easily within check. If you are bored though, look into pregnancy yoga or swimming.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I had GD with both of my pregnancies, and was insulin dependent. You have to push the protein, which is hard, because when you are nauseous, you want mac & cheese not chicken! It does get easier once you get your sugars under control, you will feel so much better. If you want to ask me any questions, I am happy to help.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I had GD with my last pregnancy. I used MFP to track my carbs and was able to successfully control it with diet alone. I saw a dietitian, but I pretty much had it handled by the time I got to my appointment.

I was given 30-45 carbs for breakfast, eaten as soon as possible after waking.
    15-30 snack
    45-60 Lunch
    15-30 snack
    45-60 Dinner
    15-30 before bed snack, eaten as close to bed as possible

My diary is open, if you want to go back and look it would be like May- July 2017 (is it still in there?). Here is an example day from May: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary?date=2017-05-17

The biggest key for me was taking in protein and fat every time I ate carbs. Never go more than 3 hours without eating (but don't eat for 2 hours post meal to take blood sugar), not to go over 10 hours at night.

I didn't look at it as a restriction. I chose to look at it that my body had trouble processing large amounts of carbs, so it was my job to feed my body (and my baby) a steady, controlled amount of carbs at regular intervals, always combined with fat and protein.
  • FlySuperWhoLock
    FlySuperWhoLock Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I have seen my dietician through MFM.
    I have 26 units insulin AM, 18 breakfast, 20 dinner, and 30 bed time
    I can have 30-60 carbs breakfast, lunch and dinner. And 15-30 carb snacks 3 times a day.
    My biggest issue is weight gain.
    MFP is set 1900.
    Dietitian said 2500. But I'm eating more than that. I'm 21 weeks and gained 7 lbs. They don't want me gaining a lot. I am way over weight already. But I'm always hungry.
    How can I control the weight? ffdbjjxsvmlz.png

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, that may be a question for your dietitian.

I had gained 13lbs by my diagnosis. I didn't gain another pound the rest of my pregnancy on the GD diet. It was like a magic, no weight gain diet for me. I was not on insulin though. I was overweight but not obese before my pregnancy.