Eating Out

Options
How often do you eat out/get take out? Have you reduced the amount of times since starting on your weight loss? Was there a noticeable difference to your rate of loss once you lowered the amount of times you ate out? This has been the only part of my journey that I have yet to be able to change, I just LOVE eating out and do so frequently. I usually avoid locations that do not have nutrition information posted but I fully realize that there are human variables when preparing food so even posted calorie counts can be off but it's better than nothing right? I would probably lose on a more consistent basis if I could cut down or eliminate eating out.

I do weigh all my food otherwise. Part of the reason I do eat out so often is due to laziness and not wanting to cook meals myself, haha! I should probably work on that....but I've managed to lose 57 lbs so far and only have 18 left to go. I think its finally started to effect me because I have been stalled the past 2 weeks and this is the only reason I can think of that could be causing it. Especially now that I have to be more strict with my calories since my deficit is not as high as it once was...

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I eat out rarely, but I do it as much because of cost as I do for nutrition. I think if you're still having success, and your estimations aren't taking you off track, keep doing you. You want to build the habits that will work for you the rest of your life, and if eating out is a part of that, then it's a good time to learn how to keep weight off while still eating out.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I used to eat pretty much every meal out. I've reduced that in part for weight loss and in part for financial reasons. Not only was eating every meal out bad for my waistline but it was bad for my wallet as well. That being said, I still dine out a decent amount.

I get my lunch delivered every work day from a food delivery company that prepares healthy lunches. And I'll usually order delivery for a dinner a couple of times a week. Calorie counts aren't really a thing for restaurants in my country (we don't have any rules requiring or regulating them), so this stuff never has calorie information unless I am ordering from an international chain restaurant that has US calorie counts that I can use as a comparable. For lunch, it's usually fairly simple ingredients without much in the way of extra sauce/oils, etc, so I can usually estimate from the ingredients in the lunch. For other places, sometimes it takes a bit more work, but I do my best. But I'll usually focus on ordering things that have easier to measure ingredients (salads or poke bowls, for example), where I am not having to estimate how much sauce and oils they've used. I've probably cut my rotation down to about 5 or so restaurants for most of my dining out needs.

As far as "cooking" for myself for my other meals, I don't have that much time or energy for cooking either, except on the weekend, so I try to keep it simple. I make myself sandwiches sometimes for dinner, a protein bar and fruit for breakfast. I'll buy some chicken and bulk cook it on Sunday and have it for the week, etc. Makes it easier to eat in a more controlled environment without having to do a ton of work.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    How often do you eat out/get take out? Have you reduced the amount of times since starting on your weight loss? Was there a noticeable difference to your rate of loss once you lowered the amount of times you ate out? This has been the only part of my journey that I have yet to be able to change, I just LOVE eating out and do so frequently. I usually avoid locations that do not have nutrition information posted but I fully realize that there are human variables when preparing food so even posted calorie counts can be off but it's better than nothing right? I would probably lose on a more consistent basis if I could cut down or eliminate eating out.

I do weigh all my food otherwise. Part of the reason I do eat out so often is due to laziness and not wanting to cook meals myself, haha! I should probably work on that....but I've managed to lose 57 lbs so far and only have 18 left to go. I think its finally started to effect me because I have been stalled the past 2 weeks and this is the only reason I can think of that could be causing it. Especially now that I have to be more strict with my calories since my deficit is not as high as it once was...

takeaway, maybe once a month, if that. eating at restaurant, once a week, maybe once a fortnight.

the frequency hasn't changed since i started losing weight, and by looking at my weekly goal, there isn't much i cant fit into my weekly cals. i just cant often have 3 courses!

and i know not to weigh myself for a few days afterwards due to the excessive sodium!
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Definitely less. No fast food at all (don't miss it). No eating out because I didn't plan ahead. Now when I eat out it is intentional and I make good choices
  • bronaghCPM
    bronaghCPM Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I dine out at least once a week, I love it and would never give it up! I usually try to choose the lowest calorie stuff on the menu and make it work in my calorie allocation, but if it's something like pizza or fried food, I try to get a workout in to counterbalance.

It sounds like your arrangement is working for you since your weightloss so far has been great (congrats!), but if your frustrated by the slowing down of your progress you could try cutting back for a week or two I guess.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I didn't "eat out" very often but I was all about "ordering in" as I didn't like daily cooking. Now that I'm meal prepping breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 5-6 days a week, I am ordering in waaay less. I am also super lazy and if food isn't prepared everyday, I make poor choices!

If I do think I'm going to be out, I'll look at a menu first to make good choices and have a plan BEFORE I leave the house. Or if I think I'm going somewhere where food is optional (at a bar or whatever), I'll eat before I leave.

If I do eat out, I tend to have a sodium jump no matter what and then that takes a day or two to go back to normal. It's a normal thing but annoying and keeps me from eating outside my house
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out often. When I do, I go for food items that are in the MFP databases. Since it's only chain restaurants that need to list calories, and no kosher restaurant in Toronto has more than 2 locations, I can't know THEIR calories. But I feel safe in taking the calories from a large slice of cheese pizza from Pizza Pizza and assuming that I got roughly that much from a large slice of cheese pizza from Tov Li or Slice N Bites (2 kosher pizza places near me). Shakshuka (poached eggs in tomato sauce) is something you really have to "work" at to make high calorie; it's basically poached eggs in a chunky tomato sauce of varying levels of spicy. Felafel's high-calorie, but again, it's listed and I can make up my mind whether it's worth it.

I try to avoid obvious calorie bombs, unless it's a special occasion and I decide to go for it. The pasta in sauce that comes in a salad bowl for a single serving? The salads that have extras like toasted seeds, candied nuts, diced up avocado, and dried fruit, all tossed together so I can't eyeball and guesstimate amounts? Ordering it with dressing on the side won't save me. Burekas, saabich (a full-to-bursting wrap containing a whole assortment of Middle-Eastern salads, many on the oily side if not fried)... kind of not happening. But grilled veggies in a pita with either hummus or feta is workable.

I've messaged restaurants on their facebook pages asking them if they have a ballpark for the calories or what their lower-cal options are. So far, I haven't gotten a positive answer on the first question but I generally get tips for the second. And suggestions like, "Our shakshuka comes with a bread bowl, but you can request it in a pan instead. The grilled eggplant has tehina sauce drizzled over it, but you can get it on the side if you ask." I prefer asking in advance, since I get an answer from someone who isn't bustling around between 4-5 tables taking orders and trying to catch the chef at a non-hectic moment in the middle of a rush who's tempted to just say something, true or not, so I'll order already.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I have it whenever I fancy it. I make it fit into my calorie/macro goals.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out as often as I'd like, but that is largely because it is a waste of money when it is so easy to cook quick easy meals myself. I also have the problem that I always end up eating too many calories when I eat out. I see no point in having chicken breast and brocolli at a restaurant when I can make it myself a lot cheaper. Bread and beer add a lot to even a healthy meal. If I'm seriously training, I don't care, but when I'm running less, it adds up quickly and isn't really worth it. When we are travelling, and I eat out more, I always gain weight.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I eat out 2 to 3 meals a week at locally owned restaurants so there's no nutritional information. Some of my go-to choices:

- A bowl of non cream-based soup and a veggie side
    - salads, sub salsa, lemon juice or vinegar for dressing if there aren't lower calorie options
    - sandwich, sub salad or veggies for fries or chips.
    - steak, chicken or seafood with double veggie and probably a piece of bread
    - double veggie + protein stir fry with white rice (I throw half away)
    - fajitas (no tortillas, but I eat the rice & probably some beans)
    - I'll order some celery (most places have it prepped for wings) to go with a shared appetizer dip or with wing sauce for dipping.

I've found the local places will accommodate special requests better than the chains. Can you grill that without oil? Yes, I know it may be dry. Can you toast the sandwich bread (dry) instead of buttering and grilling? Can I have double spinach and no cheese? Can I have some tomato slices instead of XXX? Remember, tip generously for the extra effort!
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    During my active weight loss phase I ate out usually 2-4 times a week. It didn't hinder my weight loss at all.

Now, 6 years into maintenance, we usually eat out once every weekend (usually pizza). Sometimes it might be twice a week, just depends on our schedules.
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I eat out often sometimes 3-4 days a week other weeks not at all. I make good food choices and always bring half or more home with me. I lost 200 pounds and kept it off for a year and a half. I rarely eat fast food or pizza places any more. When I know I'm going out I have a lite breakfast and lunch. Work so far.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    every friday because screw cooking on the last day of the work week!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    We eat out a lot, usually at least once and sometimes 3-4 times per week. Both at fast food and at dine in places. I've lost ~ 80 pounds and been in maintenance for over a year. As long as you don't go over your calories you can eat out and lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I ate out pretty rarely. I continue that in maintenance. We order in pizza once or twice per month and eat out maybe 3-4 times per month at the most.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    We usually eat out twice a week... usually one lunch and one dinner; barely ever fast food (maybe 2-3 times a year). I typically only eat 1/2 of what is served and then push it away from me or offer it to others. Sometimes I try to order the healthiest thing on the menu but other times I just get what I really want and watch my portion size. I didn’t grow up eating out very much at all and so when I married my Husband, who comes from a family who eats out nearly every meal, I was in heaven. However the novelty wore off, especially once our wallets thinned and our waistlines thickened, and we’ve since gotten into the habit of only going out on the weekends. We may order takeout/DoorDash 1x a month too, on a night where we’re super worn out and too tired to cook, but even then I try to have easy dinners like soup and sandwiches or breakfast for dinner on hand too, in case what I had planned sounds too complicated when the time to cook rolls around.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    We have a family pizza night weekly, where I usually eat a slice and make myself a salad too. Easily fits in my calories. Other than that we might eat out once a month. I don’t order low calorie when we go out. If I’m going to spend the money, I want something that really tastes good and that I wouldn’t make at home. But I’ll usually only eat half of it (husband gladly takes the leftovers!). If we ate out more I might need a different plan, but I’m pretty cheap.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 60 pounds and maintained that loss for about 3 years now. I eat out at minimum, 3-5 times a week. I do meal prep for breakfast and lunches, but take any opportunity that comes up to meet friends for dinners. I don’t care for cooking or for eating alone, so if I find myself home in the evenings, I usually just have a shake or some cereal. Those nights go a good ways toward making caloric room for the nights I get to eat with friends.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I used to eat out twice a week; now I go once a week.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Takeaway/fast food isn't necessarily the enemy or as evil as some would have you believe.

I like takeaway food AND I hate cooking, so I'm going to make takeaway food work. I think a much better strategy is to develop approaches and strategies to enable you to enjoy the things you like than forbid them, deprive yourself and miss out on things that make you happy.

I eat out as much if not more often now than I did previously only now I am more informed and restrained. I order and consume takeaway like a responsible adult instead of a 7 year old hopped up on pixie-sticks.