Genetics vs determination?

Options
so I have a beer belly, and it was well earned. I love beer and wine.

Anyway

All the men in my family have one as well, but I noticed something curious years ago.

My three uncles, all baptist ministers, who don't drink at all, also have the pot bellies.

Am I destined to always have this One Pack?

Replies

• ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    one pack. gaaahhhhhh.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    one pack. gaaahhhhhh.

It's like a pony keg, but very lovable
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the genetics - my friend says all the other guys only have six packs, but because he has worked so hard at it he got a keg :-)
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I don't drink. My huge belleh is from carbs carbs and more carbs, with sugar on top and fat gravy. I suspect your uncles have congregations full of Paula Deen types who love to cook for them plus sedentary lifestyles :bigsmile:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Genetics plays a part, but I'm willing to keep on fighting it.
  • Banks01
    Options
    I don't drink. My huge belleh is from carbs carbs and more carbs, with sugar on top and fat gravy. I suspect your uncles have congregations full of Paula Deen types who love to cook for them plus sedentary lifestyles :bigsmile:

Not far off

Man, I miss that cornbread!

I'd say 2 of those guys would definitely apply. But the other, has always been healthy. Pot belly pot belly
  • vinlop
    vinlop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think more than genetics, this type of situation is caused by family culture. Through generations, families have a way of eating and living where all the men can look the same. That is how it is in my family. I had a keg too, but now, after several months of working hard and eating much better, that keg is slowly turning into a six pack. You can change the cycle.
  • Banks01
    Options
    I think more than genetics, this type of situation is caused by family culture. Through generations, families have a way of eating and living where all the men can look the same. That is how it is in my family. I had a keg too, but now, after several months of working hard and eating much better, that keg is slowly turning into a six pack. You can change the cycle.

Thats what I need to hear.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    You can change the cycle.
    God I hope so! If I'm busting my *kitten* for an hour a day or more and no hope of getting rid of my gut...well, that would just suck. A lot.
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised how much scientists say our body fat is controlled by genetics. Some estimate upwards of 80%. If you're interested in a research article, try Friedman's (2009) article in Nature. Obesity: Causes and Control.
  • Jayfitness27
    Options
    I think that it is more deteminiation than genetics in my personal opinion... I have a very "large" or "velupucious" family as you will and though I have a family who is, this doesnt mean that I control my "fat gene" and put a grasp on the reality that yes although I can avoid genetics I can do my best to alter it.. I know it sounds morbid but Cancer can be cured if followed with positive aditutde it doesnt have to be apart of your genenome if you dont want it.. Humanity forgets that they can alter their future with thoughts and because we are wrapped in the concept of berating others and causing others misery to be better ourselves... we tend to believe what we are told than what we believe inside ourselves... I think when it comes to life.. any kink in it can cause our moods and adittudes to be less than desirable .. Instead of writing a novel on the topic.. All i can say there is no way to say that genetics truly rule our lives... If you cant motivate yourself what can you really do about genetics and how can change really happen.
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    Genetics does play a part, but I honestly believe that positive thinking and hard work can over come anything.
  • Banks01
    Options
    Genetics does play a part, but I honestly believe that positive thinking and hard work can over come anything.

Good. I need to overcome one of those heniken mini kegs under my shirt :)
  • carolrayes
    carolrayes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I absoutely believe determination will win every time if you're focused and you really really want it!!
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    Like diabetes, obesity run in families .... but it is not just the genes (with low metabolism, increased fat storage). But its not only the 'genetic aspect' of things which causes individuals from a certain family to be fat...its also life style. The fat families usually tend to eat fatty foods and practice same unhealthy life style.

But I know MANY people who are fighting genetics day after day and maintain great bodies. Off course they need more effort to get a six pack compared to someone who is naturally muscular or those that find it hard gaining weight the skinny types... I believe there are 4 types of bodies people have (I don't recall the actual names):

1) Fat kind- easy for them to gain fat, hard to gain muscle, hard to lose fat
    2) Muscular kind- for them it is SUPER easy to put on muscle (along with it comes losing fat)
    3) Skinny kind- for them it is super hard to put on muscle.... (their fat is usually around their belly, when they do gain weight)
    4) Combination
  • Banks01
    Options
    Like diabetes, obesity run in families .... but it is not just the genes (with low metabolism, increased fat storage). But its not only the 'genetic aspect' of things which causes individuals from a certain family to be fat...its also life style. The fat families usually tend to eat fatty foods and practice same unhealthy life style.

But I know MANY people who are fighting genetics day after day and maintain great bodies. Off course they need more effort to get a six pack compared to someone who is naturally muscular or those that find it hard gaining weight the skinny types... I believe there are 4 types of bodies people have (I don't recall the actual names):

1) Fat kind- easy for them to gain fat, hard to gain muscle, hard to lose fat
    2) Muscular kind- for them it is SUPER easy to put on muscle (along with it comes losing fat)
    3) Skinny kind- for them it is super hard to put on muscle.... (their fat is usually around their belly, when they do gain weight)
    4) Combination

Must be combo. Seems like the men in my family hit 40 and POP goes the belly.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Both sides of my family have pear-shaped women with bubble butts. I refuse to believe that I am destined to have a bubble butt, even if I'm destined to be a pear. Did that makes sense? I am totally capable of being a toned pear. :bigsmile:
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    Both sides of my family have pear-shaped women with bubble butts. I refuse to believe that I am destined to have a bubble butt, even if I'm destined to be a pear. Did that makes sense? I am totally capable of being a toned pear. :bigsmile:

isn't having a bubble butt a GOOD thing??? :P
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

I guess it depends on the shape of the bubble! :laugh:
  • cmsiemsen
    cmsiemsen Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I guess it depends on the shape of the bubble! :laugh:

The women in MY family have NO butt... when we gain weight it's all belly, thighs, and hips... and boobs I guess, we have big boobs. NO BUTTS. I've been trying exercises... but to no avail. Pancake-butt. Oh Well. I would appreciate a bubble-butt :laugh: