3 months on crutches. All my work down the drain?

Options
I started cycling 6ish months ago and have gained a bit of the shizzle that goes with that, however I am going to have some surgery on my left foot to correct some damage from an asccident many years ago. They tell me I will be on crutches for 3 MONTHS. How do I keep up my fitness and not lose my leg strength for 3 MONTHS. It's a long time. I'm scared I'ma get fat again.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    There are bench and band excercises you can do while seated. Sorry, I’m new to weight training, so I don’t know the names, but I think it’s something like curls, flyaways, and other moves, things you can do seated on the end of a bench, or laying on your back on one. We do similar moves in Pilates, seated on a yoga block that is placed on one of those rubber therapy bands. Some health facilities offer chair yoga. A gym with machines will have a lot with upper body workouts. Could you do a recumbent stationary bike?

And please don’t laugh at this, but years ago, I was ill with something that gave me severely swollen joints, but had small kids who still had to be cared for. Umpteen times a day, I had to crawl up stairs on hand and knees, and slide down them on my butt. It looked ridiculous but in retrospect, it was a workout, and I’d do that if push came to shove.

I’ve been giving all this a bit of thought myself because I thought I’d fractured my ankle, but doctors visit yesterday showed it to be a stupid collapsed arch. Sheesh...no idea flat feet could be that painful. Like you, I wanted a backup plan. I’m easing off yoga and long walks til it heals up, but I’m still planning to do the weight training and Pilates, since neither is that foot intensive for me.
  • jls1leather9497
    jls1leather9497 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    GOOD NEWS
    There really is a 'muscle memory' ... it comes back easier than it took to build from scratch.

Keep the calories in a sane range, and continue with upper body training, even if you.need to do it seated. Your circulation and respiration will still benefit, as will your metabolism.

A true story - years ago my buddy had his leg pretty much crushed.in an accident. Several surgeries and he was on a cane for over a year. He showed up at the gym about 3 days a week, and by the time he was off the cane he had the most impressive chest.in the place!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You won't get fat if you eat according to your activity level.

Walking with crutches is REAL exercise, so don't entirely discount that. I found that 160 lb me would burn about 381 calories an hour walking with crutches versus 251 walking at a 3 mph pace on flat ground.

Found a decent article for broad tips: https://www.livestrong.com/article/188670-how-to-lose-weight-while-on-crutches/
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Crutches is a lot of work on your upper body... yeah it sucks that you can’t do much for lower body until cleared but you can stay fit and healthy! Just focus on what you can do vs can’t!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    You will lose bike fitness (including leg strength) and it will come back. I've done 12 weeks non-weight bearing four times (two per leg). You'll likely end up with some amount of atrophy, but with a good quality physical therapy you will likely get back to 100% depending on why you needed surgery (your surgeon and physical therapist would be much better at predicting that than I would).

Weight is really a matter of what you're eating. But yes, fitness is a thing you will lose (even though walking on crutches is a lot of work - you're still going to lose fitness).

Once I was cleared to get on the bike inside (months before being allowed to ride outside), I built my bike fitness back via riding around on Zwift and doing TrainerRoad workouts. That and pretty intensive physical therapy.

TL;DR: Talk to your surgeon about physical therapy, ask when you'll be allowed to get back on the bike (which might be longer than 3 months), and actually do your physical therapy exercises at home.
  • aokoye
    Options
    GOOD NEWS
    There really is a 'muscle memory' ... it comes back easier than it took to build from scratch.
    Muscle memory is (kind of?) a thing - but atrophy is very much a thing. Building back muscle after 3 months on crutches is no joke and will likely take longer than the six months he's been cycling. I get that this isn't a rosey positive post, but neither is muscle atrophy.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Continue to train what you can. I've trained and have trained people who can't walk and missing limbs/hands etc...

Find a way that your surgeon/doctors wouldn't be opposed to and would be on board for with you.

Also keep in mind that there was a study that showed some evidence that just by stimulating one limb the person's other limb that was temporarily untrained still experienced hypertrophy.

So one could do leg press with one leg and depending thr applied dose of stimulus within programming for the individual, one could still experience benefits.
  • aokoye
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Continue to train what you can. I've trained and have trained people who can't walk and missing limbs/hands etc...

Find a way that your surgeon/doctors wouldn't be opposed to and would be on board for with you.

Also keep in mind that there was a study that showed some evidence that just by stimulating one limb the person's other limb that was temporarily untrained still experienced hypertrophy.

So one could do leg press with one leg and depending thr applied dose of stimulus within programming for the individual, one could still experience benefits.

Out of self interest, do you know what the title of this article was and/or who the authors were?
  • aokoye
    edited March 2019
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    GOOD NEWS
    Muscle memory is (kind of?) a thing - but atrophy is very much a thing. Building back muscle after 3 months on crutches is no joke and will likely take longer than the six months he's been cycling. I get that this isn't a rosey positive post, but neither is muscle atrophy.

And quoting myself - note I was able to do a century 7 months after my last knee surgery. I was, by no means, 100% though and at that point I still wasn't allowed to start running (I wasn't 100% then either, but both sides were more or less even).

That was with me essentially being the model physical therapy patient (their words, not mine), having more physical therapy than most insurance companies allow, and having physical therapists who were a. very experienced in working with athletes (many of whom are elite, some of whom are professional), b. very seriously took into account my sports specific goals (my three goals were all related to sports), and c. used some technology that is fairly new.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Will you temporarily lose strength? Yes. Gain weight? Not necessarily. I had back surgery last year, bed rest for four weeks. Light movement after that. Not even allowed to go to a desk job. In 4.5 weeks, I lost almost 15 lbs. Basically, even laying around all day, I lost weight, because, there was no stress eating, and I controlled what I ate, being at home. (Sure there was some muscle loss in there too, but...) Lack of exercise does not mean definite weight gain. Weight gain is up to you and your choices.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Out of self interest, do you know what the title of this article was and/or who the authors were?

First I spoke "hypertrophy" but I meant to say strength gains. Don't speech text and drive folks.

There were a few meta analysis but off the top of my head here is one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17043329/
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery that required me to be on crutches for almost three months.
    Crutches are really tough. If you try to get around like you used to, your underarms will constantly be chaffed and sore. As will your hands from all the weight. I eventually bought gloves to help support my hands.
    They once did a study where they had people go around a track walking, and then on crutches, where they measured these people's oxygen uptake. They found that crutches required something like four times more energy.
    I think you cannot worry about the atrophy. It is going to happen.
    There are two things you can do, however.
    Watch your portion sizes to be sure you are not overeating for your activity level.
    I tended to eat big lunches and dinners before my surgery, because I was so active.
    I hobbled around the gym doing what I could. Arm curls. Chest machines. Lat pulldowns. Those things are not the same, but it keeps you from losing all conditioning.
    Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Not down the drain. I've had to be off the bike for 3+ months before and that fitness returns much quicker than starting off from scratch. I've been cycling regularly for about 6 years and unfortunately, with fitness and physical activity comes injuries...just something you have to deal with and work around.
  • aokoye
    Options

First I spoke "hypertrophy" but I meant to say strength gains. Don't speech text and drive folks.

There were a few meta analysis but off the top of my head here is one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17043329/

Thanks - and yes, do not text (speech or not) and drive!
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to get booked in for early May so my three months will be over winter (Southern Hemisphere here). There is a 160km event I would like to do at the end of November so if I get the surgery when I want it I will have three months to train for 160km event.

One idea I had was to take the left pedal off my bike and put it on the turbo trainer and just ride one legged a few times a week indoors, at least then my right leg will still be in shape.
  • needlerknits
    needlerknits Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had foot surgery in January and I'm now getting back into my walking routine. I'm still using a rolling walker and a post-op shoe / sandal some of the time, alternating those with hiking poles and a regular shoe that fits my swollen foot. Recovery has been slow, complicated by inflammatory arthritis and pre-existing problems in the opposite hip.

Before surgery, my PT encouraged me to keep up my leg lifts with weights, and any of the other seated or recumbent exercises I could continue with both legs. I guess foot surgery makes it a little easier in that respect than leg or knee surgery! I resumed going back to PT at 4 weeks as I started adding in more exercises. I can tell that I've lost a little ground in muscle strength. I've never been fit, but I sure gained some muscle in shoulders and chest because I started out using a platform walker so that I could lean on my elbows instead of my hands! That thing is hard especially in the first week when I was holding that foot completely off the floor. Most people are just on crutches or a regular walker after this surgery. I moved to the rolling walker (with a fold-down seat for when I need it) as soon as I was completely weight-bearing on the foot.

I'd unfortunately gained 8 pounds so my goal this week is to walk a little bit every day. What brought me back to mfp after a couple years away this week is the start of an elimination diet to find the cause of my eczema. Logging it here makes it easier.

I don't know if you'll be in a post-op shoe or a boot. But I found that even my post-op shoe gives me just enough of a height discrepancy with the shoe on the other foot that it creates a problem with the opposite hip. That gets better as I spend more time in my regular shoe.

This was my experience. I hope some of this is helpful to you. My surgery was on my forefoot. The picture could be different if your surgery is on the back part of the foot or closer to the ankle. Good luck!

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I started cycling 6ish months ago and have gained a bit of the shizzle that goes with that, however I am going to have some surgery on my left foot to correct some damage from an asccident many years ago. They tell me I will be on crutches for 3 MONTHS. How do I keep up my fitness and not lose my leg strength for 3 MONTHS. It's a long time. I'm scared I'ma get fat again.

You might gain a but of weight. That's ok, you can lose it pretty easily. What's different now is you know how this all works and you know you're capable. The strength and fitness come back quickly, you're not starting from ground zero.