protein powder

Options
is anyone using protein powder or shakes? are you using it as a meal replacement, snack or because you are doing a work out and should be taken only doing a work out before or after...

Are they ok to use and worth to invest in? are they high on calories? any info on them would be appreciated

sorry for all the questions I am just curious...went to health store to buy vitamins and there is so much of them (protein powder) that I wonder about them sometimes.

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I use Synth-6 as a snack on days like today, 2+ workouts and Oats & Whey as a meal replacement in the mornings.
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    I just started taking Muscle Milk. I think it'll really help my progress in gaining muscle mass.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    they are good as a supplement after lifting weights generally. I also add fruits and peanut butter to mine in the morning for breakfast when I need breakfast on the go
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Natural Whey protein powder. I typically use it as a supplement, especially after working out. One scoop is 130 calories and usually mix it with either lite soy milk or Hood's Calorie Countdown 2% chocolate milk. The vanilla protein powder with the chocolate milk makes for a yummy drink. :)

This Optimum Nutrition is all natural and comes recommended by someone that I trust. I order it from Amazon ... they have about the best price around.
  • fitfud
    fitfud Posts: 9
    Options
    i swear by protein shakes. i have them after every wrokout. THe brand i lurve is Hydroxy, RIPPED, vital strength , chocolate flavour!! too yummy!
  • FitForties
    Options
    I also use Optimum whey, good taste and mixes easily too. I also use GNC Total Lean Berry Fusion, it only has 50 calories (the other flavors have twice that) and I mix it with one cup of unsweetened almond milk and flaxseed, that's my breakfast most days on my way to work. Another one I really like is CarbThin egg protein shakes, 88 calories and 0 carbs, and really good fast, I just mix it with water.
  • nsyl2350
    nsyl2350 Posts: 11
    Options
    is anyone using protein powder or shakes? are you using it as a meal replacement, snack or because you are doing a work out and should be taken only doing a work out before or after...

Are they ok to use and worth to invest in? are they high on calories? any info on them would be appreciated

sorry for all the questions I am just curious...went to health store to buy vitamins and there is so much of them (protein powder) that I wonder about them sometimes.

I use protein powders intermittedly depending on what I'm doing. I will have a smoothie, sometimes, after a hard work to help replenish what I've lost or need to help rebuild from my workout. I will use them as a snack, if it is just one shot of powder mixed with water, or make a meal out of it with milk and different types of fruit.

Protein powders come in a lot of different types, flavors and calories can vary depending on brand and quality. I love the taste of Muscle Milk, but a single scoop is 300 calories. Nitro Core 24 is an awesome one to use for a snack, since it is a combination of different types of proteins for fast and slow consumption. They usually roll in around 200 calories a scoop and they taste pretty good with just water. The other one I use for shakes is called Gold Standard. They mix easily, but after tasting Muscle Milk and Nitro Core I can't go back to it for a snack just mixed with water. I use it mostly for smoothies and since it is only 120 calories per scoop I'll mix two in there with a banana, blueberries or strawberries and a half cup of skim milk.

This is just an intro and there are tons on the market to choose from. Usually you have to test different ones to find consistency and taste that suit you.

For more info check out this site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/protein.htm

It is a treasure trove of information for protein powders, types of protein, and how your body will react to the different types. As well as all things workout related.

Hope this was helpful and good luck.

Ja-Rod

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/protein.htm
  • NWLARealtor57
    NWLARealtor57 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use EAS 100 percent Whey protein. It comes in 2 flavors chocolate and vanilla and is really good. I have it usually just for breakfast with frozen fruit to make a smoothie.
  • MandyRae20
    MandyRae20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love my protein drinks! I go between 3 kinds... Syntrax Nectars, Syntrax Matrix and Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion. I drink mine as a meal replacement in the mornings and mix with milk so it taste better. (I have yet to find a really good protein that you can mix with water) the Syntrax Nectars are sooo yummy, they have all these different flavors and really fill you up! the Syntrax Matrix is also as good but not as many flavors but the Matrix is a long acting protein so it sticks with you longer. The Myofusion has a banana flavor that taste like banana pudding... enough said.. lol.

I get all three of these at Vitamin Shoppe and they are very good at returns! I did buy one before that I was not a fan of and they returned it no questions asked.. and I even lost my receipt!
  • BryanBootka
    BryanBootka Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sylnalise,

I use EAS Myoplex Vanilla or EAS ProScience Finish Powder and the RTD (Ready to Drink). Finish has beta-alanine to reduce muscle soreness caused by lactic acid build up. I use it after jogging or after weight training. After you train, whether cardio or with weights it is good to feed your muscles some quality protein.

Take care,
    Bryan
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I buy J Robb Whey protein, which is low carb - 1g, and low cal - 110 cals and I mix with unsweetened almond milk. It's pretty tasty!
  • tgbjr1973
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition whey is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. They can be used as a meal replacement, or as a snack. They can help build muscle and increase the calorie burn and are especially helpful in combination with a good workout plan. I also recommend Casein protein in the evening. It is a slower acting protein than whey, so it continues to provide benefits through the night as you sleep. Start the day off right with some faster-acting whey with breakfast. Good luck.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm using Soya Protein Shake or Proto Plus Bars after working out.

The shake works out at about 116 calories for the powder, you can do it with milk or water, use water if you're concerned with the calories but with milk tastes better.
    Proto Plus bars pack a whopping 32g of protein but are quite high on calories (294 if I'm not wrong) for a 78g bar. I mainly use these as meal replacement or complement. For instance tonight we only had soup and the protein bar after working out.

Protein is essential for a healthy lifestyle and although it is associated with body builders eating large amounts of protein doesn't by itself increase muscle mass. Everyone needs protein.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Well let me tell you one NOT to get, and though I love her DVD's, Jillian Michaels protein is gross!!!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I like whey protein, but both I and my Dr think ,my latest kidney stone attack was a result of whey protein.
    If you might be prone that way, then you might want to stay away.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    One vote for Myofusion. Milk chocolate is my favorite. I use it for meal replacement for breakfast. I'm never hungry in the morning but I want to get some nutrition in me so I do 2 servings of Myofusion with 12 ounces of water. Comes out to roughly 300 calories and a whopping 50g of protein. Plus it has ~25% of your RDA for a lot of vitamins and minerals per serving.

I'll also do single servings randomly for snacks. They are VERY filling and stacked with protein but quite low on carbs, fat, sodium etc.. Perfect.

Three things to watch out for:

1) Some have tons of sugar. Avoid.
    2) Some taste really bad. Try to get small samples and see what you like. I think Myofusion tastes the best personally. I hear Optimum is good too.
    3) They are a PITA to mix. Use a blender of some kind (I use the "magic bullet" which is a small personal blender, very handy)
    4) They ain't cheap. A 2lb tub of Myofusion can be an easy $25 which is 25 servings. $1 per serving. I go through a 2lb tub in maybe 10 days. You can save a lot by doing subscribe-and-save on Amazon and buying 5lb tubs, but you need to know what flavors you like first so you're not stuck with ~$40-45 tubs of powder that you hate.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I use it once or twice a weekend after my long (13+ mile / 4+ hour) walks. Usually Muscle Milk or Pure Protein.
  • sylnalise
    Options
    Well let me tell you one NOT to get, and though I love her DVD's, Jillian Michaels protein is gross!!!

good to know!!!
  • sylnalise
    Options
    thanks all, it seems the Optimum one is the most popular, I will have to check if it is sold in Ontario Canada! I think that I am mostly concerns that whey protein came from lactose I believe and although not intolerant my belly is sometimes not happy with it.

Thanks again, what I get is that protein is great for after a work out, great for snack and especially for breakfast.

I will look into that slow release protein for the night, it might be good for me as a night snack....since I am not nearly eater and bike to work in a empty stomach...
  • sylnalise
    Options
    One vote for Myofusion. Milk chocolate is my favorite. I use it for meal replacement for breakfast. I'm never hungry in the morning but I want to get some nutrition in me so I do 2 servings of Myofusion with 12 ounces of water. Comes out to roughly 300 calories and a whopping 50g of protein. Plus it has ~25% of your RDA for a lot of vitamins and minerals per serving.

I'll also do single servings randomly for snacks. They are VERY filling and stacked with protein but quite low on carbs, fat, sodium etc.. Perfect.

Three things to watch out for:

1) Some have tons of sugar. Avoid.
    2) Some taste really bad. Try to get small samples and see what you like. I think Myofusion tastes the best personally. I hear Optimum is good too.
    3) They are a PITA to mix. Use a blender of some kind (I use the "magic bullet" which is a small personal blender, very handy)
    4) They ain't cheap. A 2lb tub of Myofusion can be an easy $25 which is 25 servings. $1 per serving. I go through a 2lb tub in maybe 10 days. You can save a lot by doing subscribe-and-save on Amazon and buying 5lb tubs, but you need to know what flavors you like first so you're not stuck with ~$40-45 tubs of powder that you hate.

WOW!!! I had no clue they were that expensive!!! and the sample you get them from the stores? I am glad you brought this up because I was wondering what you do if you dont like the flavour and the containers are so big!!!!