Does it matter how you hold the barbell when doing shrugs?

So I was doing shrugs today, and upped the weight to a point where I just wasn't having the grip strength in my fingers to hold onto the bar, even though I definitely could do the shrug. When I put one hand facing forward and one facing back, I was actually able to hold on and complete the set, however.

Is this a big problem? Like is there a solid reason I shouldn't do this? I did alternate hands between 4 sets to keep the workout even too.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I'm honestly not sure, but you could also just buy weight lifting gloves and that would solve the grip issue.
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I'm honestly not sure, but you could also just buy weight lifting gloves and that would solve the grip issue.

I think MikePTY might mean 'weightlifting straps'. (I have to take it that OP means grip strength failing not grip slipping). I've started to fail on BB Shrugs too due to grip and the gloves don't help.

OP - you can use that hand placement for Deadlifts so there may be no reason to stop. Others more knowledgable than me may be able to provide a reason not to use it though - if there is one.

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6sYjDFuq9I&t=323s
    Good timing with the recent Nippard video...give it a watch. Sumo grip is typically done with the deadlift - switch prone hand and supine hand each set generally.

I Personally feel traps more with a wider grip using straps for grip (very long limbed); generally have trouble with traps myself...mainly getting in some lateral movement (fanshaped muscle; straight up and down movements are not enough to feel the traps efficiently). I like trying to feel pulling through the elbows for trap and shoulder exercises as lifting cues
  • NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    So I was doing shrugs today, and upped the weight to a point where I just wasn't having the grip strength in my fingers to hold onto the bar, even though I definitely could do the shrug. When I put one hand facing forward and one facing back, I was actually able to hold on and complete the set, however.

Is this a big problem? Like is there a solid reason I shouldn't do this? I did alternate hands between 4 sets to keep the workout even too.

The switch grip puts the shoulder in a tough spot, which then puts strain on the long head of the bicep. Real heavy weight like a 4-6 rep range I don’t believe would be worth the risk. Try the double overhand as where it’s just much safer, and use straps. Also try some dumbbell variations or use the smith machine. Just mix it up, barbell would be best where as you could load up the weight, but just make sure if you use the switch grip, your arms stay straight the entire range of motion.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Makes no difference what grip you utilize for training.

Lifting straps are commonly used for lifts as such.

If you use switch just keep arms straight or triceps contracted while unpacking and performing the shrug and there is virtually next to zero risk involved.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6sYjDFuq9I&t=323s
    Good timing with the recent Nippard video...give it a watch. Sumo grip is typically done with the deadlift - switch prone hand and supine hand each set generally.

I Personally feel traps more with a wider grip using straps for grip (very long limbed); generally have trouble with traps myself...mainly getting in some lateral movement (fanshaped muscle; straight up and down movements are not enough to feel the traps efficiently). I like trying to feel pulling through the elbows for trap and shoulder exercises as lifting cues

This is a useful video. The cable looks interesting, plus I'm definitely not shrugging far enough then.
  • Spadesheart
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Makes no difference what grip you utilize for training.

Lifting straps are commonly used for lifts as such.

If you use switch just keep arms straight or triceps contracted while unpacking and performing the shrug and there is virtually next to zero risk involved.

This is good to know. Now I just need to figure out how to up my grip strength.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    Whatever grip strength for a lift you are trying to improve, do more of.

Example farmer's carry grip strength is not specific enough to improve your conventional deaflift grip strength compared to more deadlifts which would be optimal. They are two different movements. Lifting with specificity is key to improving a specific movement.

If you feel you need to improve your grip strength while shrugs, do more shrugs.

Static holds on your final top set is a reasonable way to improve as well.

*edit to add*
    Honestly if you aren't competing, grip strength isn't something I would focus on. I'd just use lifting straps if grip strength was governing me.

I compete, and still use lifting straps because of a progressive joint disease and the straps save my hands for optimal progress.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Lower the weight to what your grip can handle. Add more reps.
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    I changed the way I do shrugs after following how Sean Nalewanyj does them as demonstrated on his channel...........https://youtu.be/IV0XGIf8y6k

Yeah I know it's not a BB but you use DBells at a lower weight but you really feel it!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I wouldnt use mixed grip for that. get some versa grips. I use versa grips for just about every single pulling movement. My hands/fingers can't hold the weights that I can pull.
    Because i'm not training for strongwoman or anything, it doesn't matter that my grip sucks.

Versa Grips (or any other brand, but that type) I find really good becuase you don't need to wrap straps around any bars, you just loop the thing easily and hey presto.

https://versagripps.com/

there are cheaper ones out there in different brands. Mine aren't Versa but work exactly the same.
  • Spadesheart
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I wouldnt use mixed grip for that. get some versa grips. I use versa grips for just about every single pulling movement. My hands/fingers can't hold the weights that I can pull.
    Because i'm not training for strongwoman or anything, it doesn't matter that my grip sucks.

Versa Grips (or any other brand, but that type) I find really good becuase you don't need to wrap straps around any bars, you just loop the thing easily and hey presto.

https://versagripps.com/

there are cheaper ones out there in different brands. Mine aren't Versa but work exactly the same.

I bet there's like a Chinese knock off for like $4 on eBay, if you're willing to wait for like 2 months of shipping. I'm down for that.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2019
    Eh, Versa grips are not the be-all end-all vs. conventional straps. I do really like mine & they've held up just fine the past 6-7 years or so now...mainly like cutting down time wasted wrapping straps. Worth the investment in my opinion if you prefer supersetting things quickly until you pass out, lmao

Not sure how well they would hold up for your typical powerlifter though/frequent MAX lifters
  • Spadesheart
    Eh, Versa grips are not the be-all end-all vs. conventional straps. I do really like mine & they've held up just fine the past 6-7 years or so now...mainly like cutting down time wasted wrapping straps. Worth the investment in my opinion if you prefer supersetting things quickly until you pass out, lmao

Not sure how well they would hold up for your typical powerlifter though/frequent MAX lifters

(I just bought a cheap pair of straps off of eBay, they were like 0.80 cents each. Just gotta wait like 1.5 months for them to get here)