Trouble hitting protien goals

Options
Hey everyone, so both my wife and I have trouble hitting our protein goals each day. Especially her. We're trying to do some body recomp (lose fat, build muscle). I'm usually 30-60 grams short every day and she's probably 50-75 short. We eat plenty of chicken, pork, turkey, etc for dinner. We're not big fans of fish. I have a protein shake every morning (24 g). Greek yogurt for a snack later on.

Need some tips on good foods we can add to beef up our protein. We dont' eat much red meat or fish so those are mostly out. Good snacks for protein? Dont' want to add a ton of calories cause we're trying to cut fat too.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Try prelogging your day to hit your protein goal?

What is your goal, is it set by MFP or have you changed it manually?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    What kind of goal numbers are hard to hit? Hitting protein shouldn't be a difficult task, I'm close every day and I don't go out of my way to eat a "lot" of protein.

Your wife likely doesn't need a ton of protein.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Preplan.
  • Jeepfreak81
    Jeepfreak81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Because we're trying to build muscle, we're looking for about 1g per pound of lean body weight. For her that's around 120g and for me 180g
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Because we're trying to build muscle, we're looking for about 1g per pound of lean body weight. For her that's around 120g and for me 180g

Eating at maintenance those numbers shouldn't really be a problem for meat eaters? Maybe open your diary for some help?
  • Jeepfreak81
    Jeepfreak81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Eating at maintenance those numbers shouldn't really be a problem for meat eaters? Maybe open your diary for some help?

I would except I'm just getting back into logging, so it won't be much help yet.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    So have a protein source with every meal - eggs, dairy, lean protein like chicken and turkey. As long as you aren't eating in a deficit those numbers should work. Are you adding in exercise calories so you can eat a bit more?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    So have a protein source with every meal - eggs, dairy, lean protein like chicken and turkey. As long as you aren't eating in a deficit those numbers should work. Are you adding in exercise calories so you can eat a bit more?

This -- usually if people who eat meat/eggs/dairy have issues it's because they have lots of cals from meals and snacks that are protein-poor or are at a steep deficit, which you will not be. If you don't focus mostly on one meal but add protein to all (and to snacks if you get calories that way), it's easier. You mention dinner for both of you and breakfast and snacks for yourself, but not lunch -- could you add more protein there (and cut carbs and fat some to make room?). Sometimes it's just about changing portion sizes (more chicken, less rice).

How are you getting the calculations of 180 and 120 g lean mass?
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,379 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on breakfasts, but I usually have a protein bar on my bus route. I will grab a ONE protein bar. Around 200-230 cals, 7-9 fats, only 1 sugar and 20g protein and they are good.
  • lomaxmax
    lomaxmax Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Double your protein shake, I take double everyday. Makes it taste better in water too.
  • NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    An extra scoop or two of protein powder a day, egg whites, some more non fat Greek yogurt. Throw some egg whites and yogurt in your shakes, if you don’t have time to be cooking. Protein powder in oats is really good, could throw some yogurt in there too; with some peanut butter...
  • chambersrossl998
    chambersrossl998 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lomaxmax wrote: »
    Double your protein shake, I take double everyday. Makes it taste better in water too.

This is the easy way, that extra scoop alone should be around 25 grams.
  • trshfnly
    trshfnly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Also I'm too lazy to cook or pack my lunch. I've started buying protein bars in bulk from Costco. It's not the best solution, but it's working for me.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and still hit 130g most days
    I don't eat brekkie, have a double protein shake as my lunch, 2 eggs and 2 babybels as a snack, what ever vegetarian based protein for dinner and supper tends to be a protein mug cake with skyr yogurt

Oh and I'm eating at a deficit.

Just work out what proteins your having for meals and snacks and then fill the rest of your calories with other stuff (carbs, veggies, fruits, fats)
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am around 120lbs and I shoot for around 100g-120g as a woman. Some days I hit it, some days I don't. I lift heavy weight 3x a week.

My advice is to log regularly, and divide how often you eat by how much protein you need. At 120g, I need ~30g at 3 meals per day and ~15g at two snacks. If I eat less than that at some meals, or only have one snack, I need to make up at others or use a protein supplement, like a protein shake or bar. I don't often hit my goal on breakfast, but often go over at dinner. This is just a kind of guide I go by in my head to help me meet my goals.

When my husband is logging with me and training with me (he isn't as regular with it as I am, and he's been sick a lot) he shoots for 150-180g. I believe he needs ~40g per meal and ~25g at 2 snacks.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I really like greek yogurt, I make my own because it gets expensive buying it all the time, and milk is cheap. I make mine in my Ninja Foodi, but there are tons of ways to do it. Anyway, point being, yogurt is a good protein source :smiley: