Calories in V Calories Out

Options
Sami1601
Sami1601 Posts: 50 Member
I am new here and really need some help. I am a 34 year old 5"4 female who weighs 150 pounds who eventually has about 20 pounds to lose.
I am not sure how to create a deficit through eating/burning calories. I've read that I should not be eating below my BMR which on my fitness pal calculator states 1365.
Does this mean that I need to burn so many calories a day and just make sure I consume less than this in food but also making sure it's not below my BMR? Obviously I want to lose weight but I don't want to make myself poorly by not having enough calories for my body to function physically and mentally.
Sorry im advance but I am brand new to all this. I have a Fitbit to track my calories burned.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Put your stats and goal into MFP. That should give you a calorie goal for weight loss.

Don't worry about eating below your BMR. A reasonable weight loss goal (say .5 pounds a week) will ensure you're eating enough.

This.

And I'm not sure if this is part of your confusion, but your body burns calories all day, just by living. You don't need to work to burn that 1365 per day, in fact you don't even have to think about that number. I have no idea what my BMR is.

Considering your stats, set your goal to lose no more than 1 lb per week. Eat the calories MFP gives you, plus log any exercise and eat back some of those calories. Log accurately and consistently, and be patient.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum, and Welcome!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Sami1601 wrote: »
    I am new here and really need some help. I am a 34 year old 5"4 female who weighs 150 pounds who eventually has about 20 pounds to lose.
    I am not sure how to create a deficit through eating/burning calories. I've read that I should not be eating below my BMR which on my fitness pal calculator states 1365.
    Does this mean that I need to burn so many calories a day and just make sure I consume less than this in food but also making sure it's not below my BMR? Obviously I want to lose weight but I don't want to make myself poorly by not having enough calories for my body to function physically and mentally.
    Sorry im advance but I am brand new to all this. I have a Fitbit to track my calories burned.

The "don't eat below your BMR" really isn't always true. The BMR is just a number. It doesn't have any special significance. It works sometimes as general advice because for some people, eating below their BMR can mean having too big a calorie deficit, especially if they are active. But in and of itself, it doesn't need to be a goal. See what MFP gives you for 1 pound loss, and eat back your exercise calories.
  • Sami1601
    Options
    It’s giving me 1,210 calories per day for a 1lb a week weight loss. What’s confusing me is the fact that I read your body needs certain calories to function physically mentally etc and that if you go below your BMR it can make you feel poorly which I obviously don’t want. So for example today Fitbit is saying I’ve burnt 2,086 and I’ve eaten about 1,500 calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It’s giving me 1,210 calories per day for a 1lb a week weight loss. What’s confusing me is the fact that I read your body needs certain calories to function physically mentally etc and that if you go below your BMR it can make you feel poorly which I obviously don’t want. So for example today Fitbit is saying I’ve burnt 2,086 and I’ve eaten about 1,500 calories.

MFP is assuming 1710 calories burned daily based on your selection of activity level, and no exercise.

If Fitbit is reporting you burned 2086, then you did more than MFP figured you'd do - so it corrects itself.

And keeps your 500 cal deficit to lose 1 lb weekly.

So your eating goal would now be 1586 - so you were right on.

MFP trying to teach life lesson regarding weight maintenance.
    You do more, you eat more.
    You do less, you eat less.

Tad less in either case to lose hopefully just fat weight.

And the 1210 eating goal will ONLY be on days you exactly match the likely Sedentary level you selected.

ETA - you can see you'll likely be active enough your eating goal won't be under your BMR anyway.
  • kimny72
    Options

That 1210 is without exercise. You should be enabling the calorie adjustment from your Fitbit so you can eat back your exercise calories.

It is not set in stone that you shouldn't eat below your BMR, but you may find it to be a struggle to eat at that low a calorie level. If so, you'll need to lose a little slower. That's why I lost my 20 lbs set at 0.5lbs per week, I just couldn't eat under 1400 cals every day without being miserable.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Try something like:
    Still have 20+lbs to lose: Aim for 1lb/week (-500cals/day)
    Have between 15-20lbs: Aim for 0.75lb/week (-375/day)
    Have between 10-15lbs: Aim for 0.5lb/week (-250/day)
    Have between 5-10lbs: Aim for 0.25lb/week (-125/day)
    Have between 0-5lbs: Aim for maintenance

Adjust your calorie intake every time you hit a new level.

By doing this, what you are doing is training yourself to eat in a manner that will keep your weight where you want it. You won't lose it as fast, but you also are less likely to yo yo right back up.

Also, figure for an average... So if your target is 1800cals per day, and on Monday you eat 2000, then cut back on the other days, so only eat 1700 Tue, 1750 Wed, 1750 Thur... hey, look at that... you are back at an average of 1800/day.
  • Sami1601
    Options
    Do I still only eat 1,210 calories even if I’m burning over 2,000? I’ve read you shouldn’t eat your exercise calories back
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    On this site, you're supposed to. The calorie level you're given is before exercise. If you don't eat those back, you're running too aggressive a deficit and you aren't netting enough.
  • jls1leather9497
    jls1leather9497 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll bite. What are you doing that burns 2000 calories? 😳
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll bite. What are you doing that burns 2000 calories? 😳

The 2086 calories burned is her TDEE, not 2086 burned from exercise in addition to her BMR.
  • Sami1601
    Options
    The 2086 calories is what it’s saying on my Fitbit that I’ve burnt today. I have been to the gym but I am very new to all this so I’ve just started the couch to 5K
  • Sami1601
    Options
    So if my Fitbit says I’ve burnt 2086 today in total including my BMR TDEE and exercise and my calorie intake is 1500 does that mean I have a 500 deficit?
  • kimny72
    Options
    So if my Fitbit says I’ve burnt 2086 today in total including my BMR TDEE and exercise and my calorie intake is 1500 does that mean I have a 500 deficit?

Yes, 586 give or take :smile:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

Yes, 586 calorie deficit, if your device estimates personal calorie output accurately for you. The devices are pretty accurate for the majority of people, but it still is just an estimate. Try to log your eating as accurately as you can, take that sensible deficit off your Fitbit calories daily, stick to it for 4-6 weeks, then see if you lost weight consistent with your Fitbit & intake numbers. If not, you can adjust your intake as needed.

(The devices mis-estimate, could be high or low, for a few people; and can be pretty far off for the fairly rare one. It makes the most sense to assume that it will be pretty accurate for you, because that's the most common case. I'm just making this point so you know it's still an estimate, not a 100% certainty.)