Fit3D Scan Poor "Body Shape Rating" - is this something I can fix?

Options
I recently joined a gym which as a 3D body scan and decided to give it a try. The scan confirmed what I already knew... that I have an "apple" shape and that my trunk is wide compared to the rest of my body. I've always been shaped this way even when I weighed less. Then scan gave me a 34 out of 100 for my body shape, with 0 being the worst. Clearly, that isn't good. Now I am full of questions and am a bit concerned. Any help or reassurance that people can offer is appreciated!

The scan also told me I have 22.4% body fat, which is in the healthy range. Given how bad my waist to hip ratio is I actually thought my body fat would be higher. I also have no idea how accurate these scanners are.

Anyway, I've attached the scan image here and am wondering if the "body shape" score is actually something I'll be able to significantly improve with work, or if it's just how I'm shaped. I do have some extra fat to lose around my middle, and I'm hoping that going to the gym regularly will improve this. I'll be alternating weight lifting/ spinning for my workouts.

How worried should I be about my body shape if I keep my body fat% in the healthy range? I know fat around the middle is the most dangerous to your health, and I have a family history of heart disease. How low should I be aiming to get my body fat% to avoid these negative health impacts? Thanks!

rqylfsls8vyp.jpg

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    before you had the scan, what were your thoughts on your bodyshape?

unless you were really sucking your stomach in, i am not sure how your waist/hip ratio can be bad, based on the pictures? and your BF% is completely normal, if not towards the low end of normal so not sure why that number is an issue for you?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That H:W ratio is becoming like BMI - it is a population statistic formula really - and may be useful if you need to pay attention or get something checked out.

But now it takes the non-lazy Dr to say yes your ratio is in a zone level to perhaps be concerned, but your body shape means you are an outlier and your tests say you are just fine.

Of course that H:W doesn't take a scan to get it.

I'm betting that machine is also intended to go on the whole theory of body shapes to mean differences in eating or exercise styles - so those that buy it can have a jumping point to sell something more.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just read how they make up your "body rating" and it's not as nefarious as it sounds...but it is still based on a bunch of statistical norms. If you put on a corset before this scan your score would go up immensely even if you weighed the same. That's how "valuable" this information is.

For your perusal.

https://support.fit3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004621494-Body-Shape-Rating-BSR-
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Your body shape doesn't determine your health or health risk. You are at a healthy BF% and that's what is important. That machine is a bunch of hooey.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    There was an episode of Scrubs many years ago where one of the plot lines of the episode was the hospital getting a fancy new "full body scanner", where you could go and get a scan where it would tell you any little thing that may be a potential health issue. Their was a big debate over it between the "caring doctor" character and the greedy CEO character because the doctor thought it was going to convince hypochondriacs that they had things wrong with them and they were going to pay for expensive, medically necessary care. That's why the greedy CEO character liked it, because it was going to make the hospital more money.

That's how I feel about a machine like this. It's there to try to convince otherwise healthy people that there is something they need to improve about themselves, so "solutions" can be sold to them to fix these so called issues.

Great now I need to go binge Scrubs again.
  • rebeccamorgan58152
    rebeccamorgan58152 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You look great, in proportion, and I’d say most people would classify you as having an attractive figure. That machine is drunk and should go home. Ignore the stupid thing and keep doing what you’re doing because it’s working very well.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You don’t look like an Apple and 22% is great.