Help...please

Options
I do not normally post....but here goes.

I'm trying really hard because I really want to get healthy and get off of the prescription medication.

Are there any days that are harder than others and you want to give up?

Please give me some suggestions to help me over the hump. I've been eating healthy and working out for the last 3 weeks. Not much change. How do you keep going?

Thank you in advance for the support all.

Replies

• luaP852350
    luaP852350 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Don't count each day, make each day count 👍
  • eeanneli
    eeanneli Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes time. Some folk track weight and measurements. I like to periodically try on clothes that don't fit yet to see how much closer i am gettingbtil them fitting.

Also try not to look at eating regime as a punishment as will make the full thing more arduous. Reframe as an act of self love as you want to do what is best for your body.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Once you realise it's a long term investment and not a quick win it will become easier.
    3 weeks is not a long time and not seeing major changes yet is perfectly normal, you just need to give it time, if it helps focus on small goals that are achievable rather than the final result.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is pretty vague. Are you counting calories? Using a food scale?

If you haven’t done it yet, calculate a modest calorie deficit, start a food diary and try to hit your calorie number. There is a fairly long calorie counting learning curve. Give yourself plenty of time to learn how weight loss actually works.

Exercise is a great thing, but it’s overrated as a weight loss strategy. You will lose weight when you are in a calorie deficit. The problem most people have is finding the place where they are in a deficit and they can live with it long term. Losing any significant amount takes persistence.

Be prepared for your brain to try to wreck you at every opportunity. Our brains seem to hate weight loss. You’ve just started and that voice in your head is already trying to get you to quit. Push back, don’t quit.

Don’t be distressed because it’s confusing at first. There’s a lot of diet and weight loss noise out there. Calorie counting works. Try to keep an attitude of experimentation. If your plan isn’t working now, or at any point in the future, keep tinkering and adjusting until you fix it. Never quit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Is the medication for weight loss or something else? I found it helpful to set SMART goals and review them weekly. The goals would be behavioural not weight goals like, “log food daily” or “walk twenty minutes daily five days this week”.

The scale fluctuates but I have total control over my behaviour.

https://www.fractuslearning.com/smart-goals-template/
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    All of the above, but I particularly like what @jackie2003 said. Well put!!!! It IS an investment in yourself, and like any investment (money, planting a garden, raising children) it’s going to take a while to pay off, and it may pay off in unexpected ways.

Your rewards will be better health and you may find the benefits of mindfulness outweighs the actual weight loss. (For me, they were a ton more energy, GERD gone (Hallelujah!!!!), dumped the CPAP, all of which I appreciate even more than the loss.)

Read as much as you can here, read the blog posts they email you (some are utter carp, some provoked me to research on my own, and some are actually useful or give me “oh so that’s why” moments). I find nuggets of useful information (peanut butter powder being one!) or outright wisdom on unexpected threads.

Log every morsel, and if you wake up at 2 am and realize your forgot to add that half tbsp of oil, do it first thing in the morning. Weigh assiduously. Not being honest with your diary hurts no one but yourself. Keep your settings private if you don’t want others figuratively peering over your shoulder.

Give yourself grace if you fall off once in a while and get back on.

Find an excercise you like. I read a post from someone one time who simply did “laps” up and down their home’s stairs. Start a walking group with neighbors.

Invest your time, your money, your attitude in yourself, and you will reap rewards for yourself and your loved ones. But only you can make the decision to stick with it.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Many yoga instructors will suggest you set an “intention”, which can be almost like a silent prayer or particular inner strength to focus on during class.

I always set my intention to send good will to family members I had to let go from my life, because I felt sorry for their situation.

One day I realized they would never know or feel these intentions, and their anger and blame
    for me was such that even if they did, it would only make them angrier.

Many instructors remind you to set an intention to love yourself, but I wouldn’t do it because it felt selfish. I started doing it for myself, and it made a world of difference and helped bring me a lot of peace.

Even if you don’t do yoga, take a moment every day to close your eyes, breath in and out deeply, and remind yourself that you are worthy of love, peace, happiness, and satisfaction.

Anyway, I diverged all over the place there, but give yourself some love, to help yourself along the way. No one beats us up worse than ourselves, right?
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    slow and steady is how you achieve sustained weight loss. You have to eat healthy, watch you don't exceed your caloric goals and maintain regular exercise...the best would be resistance/weight training to improve muscle tone and or mass. Muscle burns more calories.

There will be days where you falter. That's perfectly normal. Just keep going. Maintaining a healthy weight and improving overall health doesn't happen overnight. It is the result of complete lifestyle changes.

If your main goal is removing meds, then focus on healthy eating first and slowly incorporate more exercise. Healthy diet is vastly overlooked when trying to get healthier. Make sure you include a wide variety of fruits and vegetables and ensure you are getting plenty of fluids (64 ounces a day minimum). Additionally consider a high quality multi vitamin to help with any gaps in the diet. Cut out sugar in all it's forms (learn the secret names it is disguised as) and stay away from artificial sweeteners.