Couch to 5k or running in general while very heavy

Options
Hello all,

I've recently started jogging, C25k specifically, but I'm wondering whether it's a good idea. I was wondering if anyone with more than 100 lbs to lose is doing the program and has started jogging. I've heard there is a such thing as being 'too heavy to run' and was wondering if that's true. I've been having some pain in the knees but nothing unmanageable (this is before I started running, even). Should I be worried? I'm only 20 years old, I think my joints should still be able to recover.

Replies

• Choirgirl37
    Options
    The program works well if you do a brisk walk when it is time to run. For example you could power walk at 4.2 and walk at 3.5. That's what I did the first time I completed the program. The next time you do the program, you will have dropped pounds by then, and you can speed it up a little.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I was close to 100 pounds overweight when I started. I won't lie, my knees were in agony. But I wrapped them, iced them, got proper footwear, and met with a running coach. And now I'm more than 30 pounds down, and running at least 25 miles a week.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i dont think there is. i watch extreme makeover weight loss edition and they run. maybe not continuously but they sure do running intervals and they weigh around 400 lbs. i weigh 242 and i recently started C25K and i have arthritis in my knees and i'm fine. if you get out of breath, slow down. stretch afterwards but not before. dont rush it and you'll be fine.
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think u have to start from somewhere walking is good start slow till u make it to run a lot ppm say it's better to enhance endurance than speed
    Do good warm up n cool down
    Do good stretching or yoga moves
    Search on web for knee friendly yoga moves for ur rest days
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    No reason not to do it! Go slow. Repeat weeks as you need to. I will be repeating week 1 if it ever stops raining!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I don't have as much to lose, but here's my 2 cents:
    1) In general, if bones or joints start hurting, take it down a notch.
    2) Warm-up for 5-10 minutes beforehand and stretch afterwards.
    3) Do at least mild strength training to strengthen your tendons for the rigor of bearing the extra weight.
    4) You're my hero. I have less to lose, but always come up with excuses not to run. I'm so out of it -_-
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Please check out this site: http://500lbs2marathon.com/Home_Page.html

He's one of my friend's here and he has been such and inspiration.
  • Sourpusscandy
    Options
    C25K is most definitely something I want to do in the future, I'm friends with an "elite athlete" mountain/snowshoe/staircase racer, he totally inspires me. I still want to lose 30# or so before starting. (I'm just under 200 right now, lost 67 since last Nov.)

no sense in hurting your body with the jogging/running. brisk walking is great exercise, so I do that now. I should warm up & stretch first... I know!

http://runningraw.com/blog/
  • MrsMonologues
    Options
    I am on week three of it and their is a great podcast that talks to you and motivates you the whole time. It is called NHS couch to 5k. It plays music and tells you when to run and walk. Awesome. Take it slow. Don't move on to the next week until you feel comfortable.
  • rjacobson16
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

To everyone who has suggested walking: I have been walking for a while, but I actually enjoy the jogging as well. I've only been doing week one, but I've been able to do all the jogging it asks for so far. My only concern has been whether my knees are worse off for it.

But I think I will stick with it!
  • rjacobson16
    Options
    Please check out this site: http://500lbs2marathon.com/Home_Page.html

He's one of my friend's here and he has been such and inspiration.

This is really something. I definitely want to do something like this.
  • nascardrea8
    Options
    my thoughts are....if you feel like you can do it, than do it! you'll get there. I just started C25K myself and I need to loose about 70 lbs. i have a friend that has lost 100 and still has 100 to go and he is running races as often as he can. Just take of yourself when you hurt, get rest when it's time to rest, and keep on truckin!....and if you like hip hop....go to kissmyblackass.org and download Suz's podcasts...they're awesome! especially the 2011 tracks for week 1,2 & 3. good luck
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 currently. I currently weigh 236. I delayed starting it until I had lost over 50 pounds because I was worried about the same things you are. I am so glad I finally started because I am really liking it. Each week I stress about the additional running, but I am always plesantly surprised by my ability to do it. I give myself permisison each week to redo the previous week if this week is too hard, and that psychological trick helps push me through.

My knees hurt a little at first. I got better shoes, but the thing that made the biggest difference for me is that I switched to running on a gravel/dirt trail near my house instead fo the concrete. I noticed a huge difference in my pain. I think running on a track would have a similar cushioning effect if a trail isn't an option. I also do a warm-up before I start the walking warm-up and do a good stretching routine when I am done.

Good luck and keep running!