Logging other liquids as water or no?

Options
I'm early in my journey, but I'm struggling to get in enough water. I'm logging anywhere from 5 to 8 cups daily. This is just plain, filtered water.

I'm drinking coffee everyday (2 cups) along with protein drinks on most days (1-2) and wine (6oz) a couple of times a week. That's a lot of extra liquid in my daily intake that I'm not logging as water. Should I?

Replies

• whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Some of that can be considered water, though it's going to depend on who you ask. I think the important thing is that you feel hydrated. If your pee is super light, you should be hydrated enough. But to answer your question, I do track the ounces of coffee I drink in my daily water, but not usually other drinks.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    You can count the coffee as liquids, the protein drink to about 70-80% (as it has a higher density then a usual liquid).

I wouldn't count alcoholic beverages as these tend to dehydrate.

All in all, the amount you need to drink will depend on the color of your urine. If it's a pale yellow straw color, then you're good. If it's darker, you should probably consider drinking more.
  • DianeMichaelis1
    DianeMichaelis1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    According to my Dr., I should log anything that turns to fluid and anything I drink. Soup, ice, icecream, jello, and things as such is counted as liquid. I have to do the opposite and have only 1500 ml of fluids per day. If you retain fluid, it might be a good idea to think of limiting. Just offering hints of what my Dr. helped me with.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered this. I drink decaf coffee but I've never logged it. I drink a good 2 l of water a day more if its an active day
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I'm early in my journey, but I'm struggling to get in enough water. I'm logging anywhere from 5 to 8 cups daily. This is just plain, filtered water.

I'm drinking coffee everyday (2 cups) along with protein drinks on most days (1-2) and wine (6oz) a couple of times a week. That's a lot of extra liquid in my daily intake that I'm not logging as water. Should I?

Not sure what you mean by "enough water". You're doing 5 to 8 cups (assuming you mean 8oz glasses) per day, and the recommendation used to be 8. Some modern variations on that theme now of course.

I only log water in the Water Consumption section of my MFP Diary page. All other liquids have calories and other nutrients, so I log them in the main Food Diary section to account for their Calories, Carbs, Fat, Protein, Sodium, and Sugar.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Unless you have problems with being dehydrated why do you feel you need to bother logging your fluid intake at all?

Log drinks with calories of course but why do you think a certain number or formula for fluid intake has any relevance to you?

People counting their glasses or ounces of water, hardly seems any different to people counting steps. But we get caught up in these things as we read all the published opinions and research that keeps on changing and contradicting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just stay hydrated...there is no universal magical amount of water to drink. All fluids hydrate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Assuming you're not toiling in the hot sun all day, seems like you get plenty of fluid on a regular basis with all the beverages you consume.

I used to log liquids but stopped when I realized that between water and tea I was getting plenty every day.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    According to my Dr., I should log anything that turns to fluid and anything I drink. Soup, ice, icecream, jello, and things as such is counted as liquid. I have to do the opposite and have only 1500 ml of fluids per day. If you retain fluid, it might be a good idea to think of limiting. Just offering hints of what my Dr. helped me with.

This will be individual specific and medical condition specific. Obviously with your medical history limiting fluid intake is appropriate (as per your doctor). For many people (without medical conditions) water retention can actually be helped by increasing fluids. All that being said, OP didn't mention having trouble with water retention.

OP, I wouldn't count the wine, but the others, yes. As has been said by others in the thread, the exact numbers are less significant that monitoring your hydration status. Urine color is one way to monitor.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I’ve started logging water because if I’m not paying attention, I can go half a day or more without drinking, or by bedtime realize all I’ve had is a few Dixie cups. I do five or six hot yoga or Pilates classes a week, plus I’m a “sweater” , right down to night sweats, so it’s a wonder I haven’t dried up like a sponge.
    So logging makes me more mindful. It’s a PITA to keep up with. Not the app, but just remembering it at all.
    I’ve also found that drinking a lot of water (trying to stay well over 100+ oz) makes me less inclined to snack, less likely to indulge in “when’s the next meal” thoughts, helped almost immediately with painful constipation, seems to help with fresher looking skin, and I think (though it might be all woo in my own head) it has helped any weight loss related wrinkly bits.
    On the flip side, since I started being mindful, I bet half my steps come from trips to potties or trips to find one!

Btw, I love to eat ice but I find getting room temperature tap water goes down faster and easier than ice cold. So I usually have a cup of ice going and a big jug of water, too.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I used to drink half my weight in ounces of water, because that was the thing to do on the diet forum I belonged to. Somewhere along the line, I quit; then I quit drinking water at all. I'm trying to get back into the habit of drinking water-hence the query. My urine looks fine--very pale and I feel fine. I've read on here that some people drink a liter of water with every meal--not sure why, but I was concerned I wasn't getting enough because I'm well under that. I'm trying to drink 16oz per meal and sometimes that is a struggle.

I drink all my water at tap or room temp. I do not like cold beverages at all.