About how much weight do you have to lose to go down a size?

Options
I know it depends more on the inches lost, but i was wondering how it varied for different people?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest 30 lb. At my lightest 15 lb
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I thought I dropped a size with every 5% of original bodyweight lost.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I heard supposedly it’s a size for every 10 pounds but it’s probably different for everyone.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    For me, I went from a size 8 to a size 4 from a 25lb loss. So basically, between 10-12lbs.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I didn't go down a size until I lost about 20-25 lbs, but I'm also still nearly 100 lbs overweight (original goal was to lose 125). I have mostly an hourglass shape, and I went down in shirts a little before pants, but not by much.
  • laurie51872
    laurie51872 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    At lower weights it varies between 10-12 lbs and at heavier weights it can be in excess of 15-25 pounds. When I lost 108 lbs, I went from a 28 down to an 18.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    About every 10-15lbs. for me, but I'm only 5'1'' so each pound is a little bit more significant on my frame. Someone much taller may need to lose a little more to drop a size.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Kind of like others have said...it's less the smaller you are. Losing my first 45 lb, I went from size 24 to 20/22. Now just 5-7 lb can make the difference between fitting comfortably in my 10s and needing a 12.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    It's taken me 30 pounds and I'm just starting to fit into the next size.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 35lbs and have gone down one size. For a moment it looked as if I’d go down another - even got so far as having to roll my waist band at the end of the day - but my body seems to be doing some restructuring because now those same pants fit comfortably... 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    10 lbs
  • shetland
    shetland Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5'5 and for me it is 20 lb
  • Leezy55
    Leezy55 Posts: 339 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I have lost 37 lbs with 35 more to go. can't speak about dresses because I no longer work so I just go around with pants. I still have not gone down a size. Every so often I'll try a pair of pants that I'm holding on to and they just don't fit!
    Like Crystal said my body seems to be just restructuring. I never had a gut until I gained a tremendous amount of weight. I thought it would be the first place I would lose since it was the last place it arrived. Not so in fact my gut now looks like I'm 10 months pregnant. I'm losing very slowly even at a high weight and it's probably going to take me 10 more pounds before that gut goes down but sadly unfortunately it's probably going to take me a year.
    My husband says I didn't look like I lost weight until I lost 35 lbs. and no one else noticed or said anything until I lost 35 lbs. Don't get it.
    66 yrs, 5'3" 155 lbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    More pounds to go from women's jeans 18-20ish size to 16-18ish than from 10 to 6 to 4, for sure. It's been a long time, now, but I want to say it was in the realm of 20-25 pounds per size at first (with me hanging onto the too-big clothes until they started falling off, because I hate to shop). 6 to 4 was probably more like 10 pounds, 15 at most. Even with the "hate to shop/wait til falling off" thing, it seemed like I had to get new jeans around once a month, right at the end, even though I'd slowed weight loss down pretty much.

I'm betting body shape makes a difference, too. I have narrow pelvic width (built more like a 14-year-old-boy than a 64-year-old woman, I swear!), but do tend to hold fat in hips/thighs/waist.
  • Leezy55
    Options
    Hi Ann,
    These are size 10p the largest I have worn. Husband says probably should have been wearing a larger size! Haha!
    37 lbs later still a 10p! Everyone says I'm proportional, I think a little bottom heavy.
    Just don't understand what gives!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Leezy55 wrote: »
    Hi Ann,
    These are size 10p the largest I have worn. Husband says probably should have been wearing a larger size! Haha!
    37 lbs later still a 10p! Everyone says I'm proportional, I think a little bottom heavy.
    Just don't understand what gives!

Hugs!

Like I said, different body types. We also individually lose in different order from different body zone - so unique.

For one, unlike you, I have zero breasts, so nothing to lose there. (Literally: Post bilateral mastectomy, flat, maybe even concave.) For two (maybe different), I start losing hips pretty fast. My upper body goes to full-deplete first (visible ribs, while I still have *substantial* central fat), but hips start shrinking pretty early. waist/belly and inner thighs (WTFlip?) last. I started out around 48" hips, maube more, and lowest (with only around 60 lbs lost) was more like 34". I've never been pregnant, so no pelvic-width increase from that, either.

I won't get into what size any of us "should be wearing", but I'm almost 65, and have been all about comfort for a couple of decades. Back in my teens/20s, I was willing to lie flat on my back and use pliers (not kidding) to zip my jeans, but for decades now, I'm not going anywhere near that. Comfy is my jam. So, my top tolerable size is non-girdle-like, and my lowest tolerable size is whatever doesn't look like sloppy diapers when worn with a belt. Too much.😬

Every one of us is unique. I'd like it if that could be a matter of universal celebration, but for most of us the blessings are more mixed, in practice, I think. 😉

I think you look great in your photo, no shame in that game: Celebrate that 10P!
  • Leezy55
    Options
    You are so funny about the pliers!
    Well I'll just keep pluging away.
    Take care
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 29lbs and gone from size 20/22 to 18 (UK), very much hoping it will be less than 30lb between sizes as I get small though 😂 currently wearing my old clothes and looking like a bag lady but I’d rather wear baggy than spend on new clothes that will hopefully be too big in a month.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I’m only 5’0”. Every 10 lbs is about one dress size for me. But losing 10 lbs for me takes several months.
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Walkingwithdogs Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" tall and have lost 17 1/2 lb so far.....no difference in how my clothes fit as far as I've noticed yet 🙄.....I don't even feel any different so I reckon it's going take quite a few lbs until I notice or see the difference 🙄