Loosing weight in your 50s

Options
I have tried many diets but since hitting my 50s just can’t lose the weight any one else have the same problem x

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    The good news is it can be done.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Lots of successful peeps over 50 here.

It does feel harder to me because I have a more sedentary lifestyle now than I did in my 20s, but that's really the main difference.

My 81 year old mom struggles to stay above Underweight because she is so active and has to remind herself to eat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There may be other factors at play for you but age alone is no barrier to weight loss.

If you have your health and mobility then the simple "eat less, move more" works at any age. (Don't confuse simple with easy.)
    If you don't have health and mobility then "eat less" alone is possible for everyone.

Personally I found it far easier to lose weight in my 50's due to food labelling and tools that help accuracy such as MyFitnessPal.
    The other big bonus for me was that as the children were older and my career was more settled I got far more "me time" to use for my exercise hobbies.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    I’ll be 57 in a couple of months, and have lost 59 since September. It’s doable, if you’re willing to commit to logging. I do probably excercise a lot more than the average bear, since I’m retired and working on me is my new full time “job”. There’s several threads in various places devoted to people over 50.

Read here on the community religiously for excellent advice, support, and inspiration.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm a month shy of 55. I just started this journey a week ago, so I don't know how hard it's going to be yet. I don't have a scale to weigh myself, so I'm going to have to use other measures until I get a scale.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Losing weight at any age is difficult. There are always things that come along to throw you off track.

I am 66 and sedentary and this past month I have lost over 2lbs a week. I just increased my calories to slow the rate of loss down.

My son is in his early 30's and wants to lose a few pounds. Because of his work life(office lunches and dinners) plus dating and going out with friends he struggles more than I do. It is easier for him to be more active but I have more time on my hands.

• snowprincess502
    snowprincess502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about calories in versus calories out. Try getting a fitness tracker. This will track your steps and tell you how many calories you’re burning. From the amount of calories you’re burning subtract 500 calories and you will lose weight.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Touché @sijomial

My girls keep talking about a raisin ranch.
  • springlering62
    Options
    @texasredreb I got a very nice Bluetooth scale from amazon for under $30. It’s called a Renpho. It syncs with both my phone and MFP, and charts all kinds of crazy stuff besides weight and BMI, probably not accurately according to others here, but some of it just fascinating to mull over and look at the charts.

It’s an attractive digital and glass scale and seems accurate.

BTW, Apple’s Health app tells me I am 5’ 6.93” tall. How the heck does it know that?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Waving! I'm 56 and weigh less now than I did in elementary school.

I lost the bulk of my weight a few years back and after futzing around for a few years, have buckled down and am chipping away at some vanity pounds to go for an aesthetic goal I have.

I found that logging accurately and reading these forums really helped. Read the forum stickies for information on how to log accurately, learn about the ins and outs of weight loss, and all sorts of other helpful things.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Started at 50 and lost 75# by my 52nd birthday, it’s possible. It’s all about patience and consistency. That is all.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I’m 57 and lost 80 pounds this past year. This weekend I rode a 48 mile charity ride on Saturday and then ran 10 miles today. Yes - you can lose the weight and regain fitness. It just takes work and committment.
  • Mugs203
    Mugs203 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Are you guys using MFP to determine calories per day to lose weight?
  • marycgehman
    marycgehman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 60, began when I was 57. I lost nearly 100 pounds in about 18 months, and have kept it off for 2 years.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Mugs203 wrote: »

@Mugs203
    I used the goal set up to create my initial calorie target, after a period of weeks I adjusted based on actual results (my food logging wasn't particularly accurate but it was consistent).
    The majority of my exercise calorie estimates don't come from the exercise database here.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Mugs203 wrote: »

Yes. Why wouldn't one?

Btw, 67 here. Lost 40 lbs in my 60s. It's not any harder over 50 than under.