Losing 5lbs in 3 weeks too slow?

Options
I started my weight loss on 2/25/19 at ~235/232lbs. Since then I have lost 5-8lbs in 3 weeks. I feel like I am losing weight too slowly. I stopped eating out and "snacking binges". I have tried to stay near 1200 cal/day - but I could go up to 1500 some days. I have been diligently counting calories, measuring everything out, and making healthier alternatives to the usual foods that I would ear. I have not been doing any exercises (which I believe is where the problem is) - partly because I've been lazy about it. I feel like for my weight I should have easily dropped 5lbs in a week. I had several previous dieting fails before where after several weeks I gave up due to lack of progress. I am trying REALLY REALLY hard to chill out and be patient. Is this normal, has anyone experienced this, does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    How much is it 5or 8 lbs? Either way that is a good. 1-2lbs is the recommended rate of loss. Be patient, this is key to weight loss. You will not lose the same amount every week anyway. Weight loss fluctuates from day to day week to week.

Stick to the calorie allowance MFP has given you. Weigh everything with a food scale, check the database entries you use are accurate and give it time.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Some weeks not losing will happen as well, and it doesn't mean too slow. The body weight scale is a poor measure of progress in such a short period. Jot it down and keep doing the process. Focus on the food scale not the body weight scale. The food scale trumps the body weight scale any day and for life!
  • kmcadam78
    kmcadam78 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think that's a very respectable weight loss. You have a journey ahead of you and patience is going to be vital.
    If you are worried about your weight loss ask yourself , are you truthfully weighing all your food and logging it correctly, r u logging everything is. Milk, butter.
    I would also say that the tone of your post makes it sound as though you are depriving yourself of enjoyment. It's really important to enjoy your meals and have a little something tasty everyday so as you don't feel deprived if you want long term success.
    I have lost 83lbs so far in 8 months and am going to send you a friend request. If you want I can help, motivate and keep you accountable 👍
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think you need to moderate your expectations. 1-2 lbs per week is a healthy fat loss rate. I would recalculate your calories and continue being diligent about weighing/measuring your food. The next step would be to incorporate some exercise into your routine. Good habits expressed over a long period of time is what is required for a lasting weight loss and change to your health.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You’re doing it! Yay! Stay the course

I lost 1lb this month! :)
    (Granted, I’m down to trying to lose the last 10lbs)

I’m eating the highest possible amount of calories I can and still lose weight, and I’m not feeling deprived because of it.
    I don’t want to get caught up in some starve/binge cycle. I also want to keep my metabolism up - so doing a lot of strength training to build more muscle

I think (I’m not a scientist) that when at rest, fat burns 5 calories an hour and muscle burns 20
    So I’m toning up 🏋🏽‍♀️

You’re on your way, keep moving forward, remember the tortious won the race
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Did you gain it faster than 2 pounds a week?
    Why would it come off faster than that? You'd have to cut more than 1000 calories a day, EVERY day, out of your diet to lose it any faster than that - and that kind of eating isn't sustainable.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Why would it come off faster than that? You'd have to cut more than 1000 calories a day, EVERY day, out of your diet to lose it any faster than that - and that kind of eating isn't sustainable.

I wouldn't recommend this as an argument for convincing people they shouldn't shoot for more than 2 lbs a week, because many of them will easily recall a week, a weekend, a day, or even a meal where they gained 5 lbs or more. Yes, mostly in water or food-in-the-gut, but they're not likely to be convinced by the argument that they didn't gain more than two pounds a week, because in their minds, they did.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,595 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »

I wouldn't recommend this as an argument for convincing people they shouldn't shoot for more than 2 lbs a week, because many of them will easily recall a week, a weekend, a day, or even a meal where they gained 5 lbs or more. Yes, mostly in water or food-in-the-gut, but they're not likely to be convinced by the argument that they didn't gain more than two pounds a week, because in their minds, they did.

And, even more importantly, just because it is "healthy" to lose between 0.5 and 2lbs a week (and the government and everyone TELLS us this is so), it does NOT follow that it is healthy and *optimal* for EVERYONE to lose at the cherry picked VERY TOP OF THE **KITTEN** RANGE. <-- it is a RANGE. Sort of like BMI is a RANGE. And being "within the healthy-ish range" does NOT equal "optimal" for everyone.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,046 Member
    Options
    You've been watching too many reality TV weight loss shows.

In the actual real world, you're doing just fine.

Buckle in for a long - but sustainable and healthy - ride.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    5 lbs in a week is NOT realistic.

I dont know where these ideas about weight loss come from.

The unrealistic expectations of huge weight loss come from shows like The Biggest Loser" and commercials for weight loss programs. They brainwash people into thinking everyone should lose weight really fast.

I agree and it is horrible. Debunk these horrible myths now.