Pain in shins

Options
Been working out for about a week and my shins are killing me and I have a lump under my knees I'm guessing fat ? I am 18 at going down about 4 lb a week is this due to over working out or just my weight ?
Any suggestions ?

Replies

• luaP852350
    luaP852350 Posts: 131 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Shin splints maybe ? 👍
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    luaP852350 wrote: »
    Shin splints maybe ? 👍

This. Are you running or doing other weight bearing exercise on a hard surface?
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercising are you doing? Weight training or running? Is the pain right under your knee? Could be patellar tendonitis or it can be caused by the surrounding muscles being tight. The only definite answer you'll get is from a physiologist.

Side note, and completely unrelated to the question, but 4 pounds a week is a LOT. That is entirely too rapid of weight loss for just about anyone, especially an active 18 year old.
  • dangowler
    dangowler Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercising are you doing? Weight training or running? Is the pain right under your knee? Could be patellar tendonitis or it can be caused by the surrounding muscles being tight. The only definite answer you'll get is from a physiologist.

Side note, and completely unrelated to the question, but 4 pounds a week is a LOT. That is entirely too rapid of weight loss for just about anyone, especially an active 18 year old.

I'm walking at 3.5mph on a treadmill with 1 minute intervals of running for half hour and I use a elliptical machine for 10 minutes and other excersizes but they don't include using my legs and I'm 18 stone and 24 years old so you think this is alot ?
  • dangowler
    Options
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »
    Shin splints maybe ? 👍

This. Are you running or doing other weight bearing exercise on a hard surface?

I'm on a treadmill everyday at walking pace 3.5mph and running g in intervals of 1 minute and I go on a elliptical machine for 10 minutes and I walk 2 miles there and 2 miles back to gym everyday apart from sat and Sunday I do other excersizes but not that include using my legs

The pain can run just below my knee Down my left side of my shin on left leg and right side on right leg and can get quit painful where I can't jog or walk IV tried stretching it out and going easy but neither do it any good
  • dangowler
    Options
    Shin splints maybe ? 👍[/quot

after I stop for 10 mins the pain will stop but as soon as I go to run or walk fast it starts again
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    dangowler wrote: »

I'm walking at 3.5mph on a treadmill with 1 minute intervals of running for half hour and I use a elliptical machine for 10 minutes and other excersizes but they don't include using my legs and I'm 18 stone and 24 years old so you think this is alot ?

If it's giving you shin splits then yes, it is too much for you at this time.

Also, at 252 pounds, losing 4 pounds per week is too fast.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I concur with it being too much for you at this time. The shoes thing might help too. Also, strengthening your calves/tibialis and other leg muscles in general will help.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I concur with it being too much for you at this time. The shoes thing might help too. Also, strengthening your calves/tibialis and other leg muscles in general will help.

I agree with all this.

One more thing: After you've cut back (or even stopped) the walking/running for a while, build back up SLOWLY. You don't say explicitly, but I got the impression you may have gone from little or no walking/running to what you're doing now.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bumps under your knees could be bursitis or water on the knee. is like a boob? round and squishy? it may need to be drained by a doctor.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Losing 4 pounds in the first week of a weight loss plan is probably not an issue unless it continues. In the first week, it's very common for people to lose a large amount of water weight.

However, if your weight loss does not slow down soon, that would be a problem. 4 lb/week of fat loss is too fast unless you are under strict medical supervision.

If you continue losing at that rate after the first couple weeks, then you're eating too few calories. Set MFP to a rate of 2 lb/week loss and eat that number plus at least half your exercise calories. If you are still losing too fast, eat more of your exercise calories.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Shoes, shoes, shoes.
  • dangowler
    Options

I agree with all this.

One more thing: After you've cut back (or even stopped) the walking/running for a while, build back up SLOWLY. You don't say explicitly, but I got the impression you may have gone from little or no walking/running to what you're doing now.

I was a couch potato basically before and IV tried to have a break for 2 days and done light walking on treadmill and have the same problem still even 5 mins of walking gives my shins pains this is incredibley painful if I try to just go through it without stopping and I have doctors soon so I'm just going to have him check on it I think
    Thank you
  • dangowler
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Shoes, shoes, shoes.

Iv got doctors soon so I'm going to get him to check my shins whilst I'm there then buy new shoes
  • dangowler
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Losing 4 pounds in the first week of a weight loss plan is probably not an issue unless it continues. In the first week, it's very common for people to lose a large amount of water weight.

However, if your weight loss does not slow down soon, that would be a problem. 4 lb/week of fat loss is too fast unless you are under strict medical supervision.

If you continue losing at that rate after the first couple weeks, then you're eating too few calories. Set MFP to a rate of 2 lb/week loss and eat that number plus at least half your exercise calories. If you are still losing too fast, eat more of your exercise calories.

I think this may slow down as today was my first day back before I was sweating like mad now not so much and the excersizing is easier but the shin pain still continues and I'm getting weighed tomorrow to see how the weight loss is going if I'm at 4lb weight loss still maybe I need to slow down a bit or as you said look at my calories
    Thank you this was extremely helpful
  • dangowler
    Options
    karen8787 wrote: »
    bumps under your knees could be bursitis or water on the knee. is like a boob? round and squishy? it may need to be drained by a doctor.

Yes its not big just small at the moment seems to be squishy and moves around under.my.knee
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    dangowler wrote: »

I agree with all this.

I was a couch potato basically before and IV tried to have a break for 2 days and done light walking on treadmill and have the same problem still even 5 mins of walking gives my shins pains this is incredibley painful if I try to just go through it without stopping and I have doctors soon so I'm just going to have him check on it I think
    Thank you

Stay off the treadmill for a few days until it stops. Don't try to have a break. Do it. Your body needs rest and you aren't giving it that. Otherwise I agree with the other comments.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a combination of shin splints and knee bursitis (the bump under your knee). Bursitis is usually I sign of overuse...ie you did too much too soon. The only way it will clear up is rest or having it drained. Shin splints can also be a bi-product of too much too soon and also bad footwear.

Walking sounds simple enough, but if you're basically going from couch potato to what you're doing, it all sounds like too much too soon. Rest is the only thing that is going to help. After that, ease into things. Walking 4 miles 5 days a week and then doing another walking jogging interval and elliptical and other exercises coming right off the couch is too much work...fitness is something that is built up...your body isn't used to the demand and workload.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Also when you losing a lot of weight this quickly you are shedding a lot of water and with the water your body is flushing out things like salt, magnesium and potassium which are essential. If you don't replace these then you can have leg cramps, pains in your calves etc.
    I agree with others, be smart, slow down, rest your body and replenish.