Confusing math

Options
I logged 1330 calories in a bike ride one day. I only ate 1300 calories worth of food. I have negative calories enabled. That calculation took away 1800 calories that day. I ended up showing that I was 650 calories behind at the end of the day. This is baffling to me. How could I exercise as many calories as I consumed but still be that far behind? Should I be only eating 700 calories on days that I am doing 30 mile rides with 2000 feet of climbing? This is making it really hard for me to log on to your app.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    sounds like it may be glitcht.

you should have eaten what MFP gave to you (is this 1300?) PLUS the 1330 from the bike (assuming that is an fairly accurate calorie estimate). so total of 2630 calories in the day (or saved some for another day if you prefer)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Are you using an Apple watch? Synchronization with apple watches seems to require an intervening app in order to work reliably. I am sure apple people can suggest a few!

Are you logging an exercise on MFP while using Fitbit?l integration?

When using a Fitbit you're better off using automatic detection or logging your exercise directly on the Fitbit web site so that you can directly see the effects of your actions.

Are you using some other (but supported) integration or tool? Reach out to support. This is a user to user forum!
  • grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Today I ate 1300 calories, and burned about 1000. The app told me at that rate I would be 88 pounds in 5 weeks. Definitely some glitches in the system.
  • grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have always just ate a small amount, no matter what exercise I get. A lot of times my appetite goes out the window the more exercise I get. So that is just how I roll. So on a rest day, I will eat the same and burn less, and it all evens out. Great skiing again today, finished shoveling yesterday, and don’t need to snowshoe as far tonight.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Are you understanding that just living burns calories? Even while doing no exercise you burn a lot of calories.

I'm confused by your questions with this. You are netting way too low if you are trying to burn (by exercising) all the calories you eat.
  • wes2019
    wes2019 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you asking me?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    wes2019 wrote: »
    I logged 1330 calories in a bike ride one day. I only ate 1300 calories worth of food. I have negative calories enabled. That calculation took away 1800 calories that day. I ended up showing that I was 650 calories behind at the end of the day. This is baffling to me. How could I exercise as many calories as I consumed but still be that far behind? Should I be only eating 700 calories on days that I am doing 30 mile rides with 2000 feet of climbing? This is making it really hard for me to log on to your app.

If you have Negative calories enabled - then you are syncing with some other account/device.

What is it?

Direct Apple sync would cause this screw up as they send the wrong info to MFP to do math with - the result is eating goal going down when it should go up.
    And extra daily activity isn't even accounted for as it should be.

If another tracker - just may be a screw up.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If you are using Fitbit and did not log the cycling cals, then it might not be picking them up.