Exercise and Depression

Options
Hey everyone,

Typically it is the understanding the exercising helps reduce depression due to endorphins being released. However, as I have focused on my health again, my depression is back in full force. I am on medication for it and it seems to be doing nothing. The exercising hasn't helped at all, in fact, it might have made it worse?

Has anyone else been through this? I have both major depression and dysthymia. Not sure if that helps give clarity to my situation.

CW: 250
HW: 270
GW: 140

Replies

• ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have dysthymia, and am on medication for it. Exercise usually makes me feel better, even if I have to force myself to go to the gym and do it at times. It took a little while for it to work though, at first it just made me even more tired and miserable. I had to build up to a fitness level that allows me to work out hard enough to get the endorphins flowing.
  • Inazea
    Inazea Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have a major depressive disorder and exercise helps absolutely nothing, out of all the people my psychiatrist and my therapist were the only ones who didn't tell me to try that. Ironically running is the only thing I get done when I have absolutely horrible episodes and it doesn't even make feeding myself easier. Medication is the only thing working for me.

If you've been on that medication for a few weeks and nothing has changed I'd talk to your doctor about it to see if changes can be made.
  • jenniferanderson3888
    jenniferanderson3888 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Lexapro is a miracle drug when it comes to anxiety. I have experienced no weight gain on this
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Typically it is the understanding the exercising helps reduce depression due to endorphins being released. However, as I have focused on my health again, my depression is back in full force. I am on medication for it and it seems to be doing nothing. The exercising hasn't helped at all, in fact, it might have made it worse?

Has anyone else been through this? I have both major depression and dysthymia. Not sure if that helps give clarity to my situation.

CW: 250
    HW: 270
    GW: 140

What kind of exercise do you do?

I find that it takes. A bit to find something that makes you feel good. Something that creates a sense of mastery- that you feel or know that you are good at, and makes you feel more confident.

I switched to performance based weight lifting because of this.
    If you feel *kitten* in a gym because you are comparing self etc, find something else, say walking or swimming, or dancing, that you can do well or that you can do distracted (listening to podcasts etc.)

For depression, I find skills based therapy like CBT and DBT are helpful and there are a number of free resources on the internet and podcasts that you might enjoy
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Lexapro is a miracle drug when it comes to anxiety. I have experienced no weight gain on this

I found topamax was my miracle drug, mixed with 20 mg lexapro and 50 mg trazadone. Each person needs to find a mix or drug that works for them
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have found exercise has helped my anxiety greatly, but probably only after about 3-4 months of regularly exercising. I also agree with a previous poster, something that creates mastery helps. I lift weights, I'm able to see my progress in the amount of weight changing.

I'd speak with your mental health professional if your medication isn't working.

I also see a therapist, which has been extremely instrumental in controlling my anxiety.
  • athran13
    athran13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety. I take meds for it and see a therapist now and again. These have helped me, I think. Other than these I have started working out (since January). For me, this has lifted my mood/depression significantly. I wish it would have touched my anxiety though (and obsessive worry a bit). I haven't felt majorly depressed in a while and I feel I have more energy. My anxiety can still go through the roof. Not sure why it hasn't helped this aspect as it seems to have helped others and studies show it helps anxiety.... I'm can only guess it's a personal thing. Exercise helps people in different ways. Or maybe it doens't help at all. I've never heard of a one size fits all cure though. Maybe exercise just not right for you (not that I'm encouraging giving it up). I'd try talking to a mental health professional and seeing what other advice they may have?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I'll echo some others here and that exercise does absolutely nothing for my depression. It doesn't matter the type, intensity, or duration. My depression is also treatment resistant. Therapy helps me be very functional, but exercise? No.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Another with major depression and treatment resistant. I used to run casually in between episodes and it gives me a sense of identity and purpose even if I'm probably bumbling along at walking pace. But I started towards a grandiose plan of running a marathon in September but I've been suffering from extreme fatigue for a few years now. And the plan is crumbling to dust. Admittedly, it doesn't make the tiredness worse but doesn't help it either. When I do run, I'm up at 6.30am to minimize the numbers of people seeing me and I seem to get a small window before the meds kick in and I'm back in bed. It doesn't help the depression at all but does remind me of happier times doing races, travelling and training when I was fitter and mentally healthier.

So to cut a long story short, no it doesn't help me either. And go see your doctor re: your meds not working!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

that drug made me into an angry *kitten*

if it's been two weeks, ask to try a different drug. even if they worked in the beginning, sometimes they stop working.

exercise does not always help. i've been exercising more than ever but I'm still depressed. but i don't think i've ever felt that exercise has made it worse. it's just something i have to do.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    There was a time when I changed antidepressants regularly after some period you know that we gave them to work. And once my group of medications just stopped working. They went from me feeling good to me having a flat affect. That's just the way our bodies are. Exercise for me produced those endorphins but the feeling didn't last long. I felt good for a while then nothing. Please see your psychiatrist as soon as you can. You will have to start gradually on another medicine. Or some psychiatrists start you off with the full dose right away depending on which they choose. I was on Lexapro once. It made me stop crying, but then the permanent psychiatrist put me on Cymbalta. Eventually, I ended up being on Cymbalta and Abilify. They work well. Once I stopped taking the Abilify for 2 weeks ( don't ask me why) and I was SOOOOO soooook SICK. I couldn't stop crying. And the feelings I had were PAINFUL! SO I restarted my medicine and all was and is good. So if your medicines seem to not be working anymore please don't stop it without seeking your doctor's advice. You may indeed need another regimen. I hope that you attain what you desire.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I would get to a MH professional if you are not already seeing one. I am not a fan of medications for myself but, I do understand the need to take them for many diagnosis.
  • fcanad
    fcanad Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What above said, but really look for purposeful movement that lets you feel okay in your body. It could be anything from meditation to waterskiing. I’ve found that times when I have to be completely in my body, in the moment, help the most.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above recommendations of seeking professional help with this.

My experience is that it took a little bit but the depression did improve. I tried not to focus on my weight at all (I know its hard!) I set my calories to lose one pound a week. I found if I set my calories for 2 pounds my depression and anxiety worsened. I also played around with what I ate. On days I ate empty carbs my mood was worse.

Its take some trial and error but things will get better. Good luck! You can do this!!!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I'll echo some others here and that exercise does absolutely nothing for my depression. It doesn't matter the type, intensity, or duration. My depression is also treatment resistant. Therapy helps me be very functional, but exercise? No.

I consider you a friend, and I'm so sorry to hear this.

Edit to add: hugs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    For me, some of the time I spend exercising feels like carrying a light in the darkness.

That's awesome - I love it!

OP - while exercise does help me quite a bit - I think more than the Wellbutrin - I only get the endorphin rush when I am being active outside.

As well as different forms of exercise, do try another AD. I went through about a half dozen before I found Wellbutrin. Prozac gave me panic attacks and I lost the ability to and interest in orgasm with Zoloft...

My brother's antipsychotics will stop working from time to time, and he has to experiment with different drugs before he is stable again.