64, Fit, Fabulous, and Fat!!!

shapcomp
shapcomp Posts: 32 Member
edited October 2014 in Introduce Yourself
Hi...need friends who are women my age who have about 25 pounds to lose, love keeping fit, but have difficult time losing at this age. Would like to keep discussions to weight and exercise. Travel a great deal, eat out a lot which hurts my weight loss. Need some new and old friends who are similar. Also doing Weight Watchers, but MFP tracks nutrition better, so tracking both points and calories.

Replies

• larkireland
    larkireland Posts: 5 Member
    Hi there.... I'm also 64 (in a few days) and need to lose 25 pounds. However, I own and business and have challenges in finding time to workout. I also have challenges with staying under my caloric daily allowance. I would love to be a friend and perhaps, have someone for accountability.
  • shapcomp
    I am back...four years later. I have been tracking since December, and have a 43 day streak going. Sticking to 1300 calories a day and usually exercise 1.5 hours a day (swimming, walking, aerobics.) No weight loss in 43 days. I bounce up a couple of pounds after Chinese food or after a cruise. Lose that. Then see no progress. Any suggestions from women who are like me who are 64+4, fit, fabulous, and fat????
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Cruise is at least fun and Chinese is so good! Travel makes it hard for sure. Have you talked to your doctor?
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    I'm 68 and started my weight loss journey in 2013 and lost about 60 lbs over 2 years. It was hard but I found the things that worked best for me were pre-logging my meals and then sticking to it, only letting myself eat out once a week, swimming and strength training in those days but now I also hike a great deal. I focus on lean protein, semi-low carbs and let fat fall where it falls, but good fats like nuts, eggs and avocados (mostly, haha).

Really consistency and accurate logging are the keys I think. Having friends here has helped a great deal as well!
  • shapcomp
    So if I am tracking and measuring and exercising and not still not losing weight, what can I do?
  • shapcomp
    Yes, doctor is next. I was 15 pounds thinner in September, and he was pretty happy with my weight then.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,195 Member
    I'm 68 and started my weight loss journey in 2013 and lost about 60 lbs over 2 years. It was hard but I found the things that worked best for me were pre-logging my meals and then sticking to it, only letting myself eat out once a week, swimming and strength training in those days but now I also hike a great deal. I focus on lean protein, semi-low carbs and let fat fall where it falls, but good fats like nuts, eggs and avocados (mostly, haha).

Really consistency and accurate logging are the keys I think. Having friends here has helped a great deal as well!

74 here and down50+ pounds in about 7 months. What I have done is pretty much a carbon copy of what you have posted. Pre-logging has been crucial as it is the best way I have found to assure that I never let myself get overly hungry and that I am getting a good balance of nutrients. I focus primarily on protein and 'good' carbs, with fats coming primarily from eggs and nuts.

I do rowing machine, strength training 3x per week, pool exercises (vs. swimming) 3x per week, rider my horses 6 days a week, and do planks and stretches each morning at home. I should say that I did not start out doing all of this ... started with the riding and added the other things bit by bit over time.

I could not agree more re consistency and logging ... re-emphasizing that prelogging is so very helpful. Even though I am at goal, I still prelog daily.
  • shapcomp
    Thank you to all for your insight. Still tracking...even though not home and not in controll as I am “on vacation.” All your advice isvhelpful! Need more MFP friends, so feel free to connect. Shapcomp
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Have a nice vacay! I’m 66 and just had my triglycerides spike so back to cutting down on fat and carbs
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,307 Member
    Excellent advice!
  • imarrcuss
    imarrcuss Posts: 2 Member
    I have used MFP on and off for about 5 years. I am 64 next month and weigh over 300 lbs. The BMI feature on this site indicated normalcy at 194...ugh. So, I go to a nutritionist and endocrinologist next month to discuss the best way to lower my risk of diabetes. I routinely tell my boss that I am the fittest fat guy he knows...he is military and must maintain fitness as a job requirement...I am a Fed. so I don't. I swim 30 minutes in the AM five days a week and either elliptical 30, walk 50 or push weights 40 in the PM. All done with moderate intensity. No joint problems...swimming is great because it stretches everything out. I am fickle, except the swimming, maintaining a consistent workout schedule. I retire at the end of this year, so beyond retirement, I should be able to adopt a routine. I know I am a carbohydrate addict and have difficulty breaking that behavior...but miracles do happen.
  • shapcomp
    imarrcuss...Thanks for posting on my conversation. Sounds like you are doing everything right but the carbs!