Pepperoni Pizza by the gram?

texasredreb
texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
So I had my pizza last night and was able to weigh it. My three small pieces totaled 114g. I can't find a way to account of pizza in grams--only by the slice or the entire pie. Does anyone have an entry for pizza by the gram so I can get a ball park calorie/nutrition count. I put in my log that I ate two slices that totaled 600 calories. Close enough?

Edit: I found a way to measure by the gram (a generic pepperoni pizza) on the Eat This Much website. It shows that 114g of pepperoni pizza is 243 calories. In that case, I under-ate yesterday. Is this website (ETM) reliable?

Replies

• texasredreb
    I did a lot of investigating and one slice of pizza varies from 100 to 200 grams--depending on ingredients, size of pie, crust type, etc. I'll leave my caloric intake at 600, but I think I had closer to 300. My three thin pieces totaled 114g. The pizza was thin crust and contained pepperoni, fresh basil and crushed red pepper flakes. I added a few crumbles of feta cheese--less than an ounce. The pieces were weighed after the addition of the pepper and cheese.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,141 Member
    edited March 2019
    Domino pizza's nutritional guide can be used with a spreadsheet to build various kinds of example pizzas.

Will it be exact? Of course not; even for their own pizza it won't.

But it would be closer than a random guess!

https://www.dominos.ca/assets/build/market/CA/_en/pdf/Canadian-Nutrition-Guide-Final-Secure.pdf

<I note that unless pizza is a daily staple; being off by a bit will not substantially hinder or enhance weight loss or gain: it is the cumulative application of a deficit or surplus over time that matters! Of course water weight changes after a pizza meal are always expected... almost a right of passage! Weight trend applications and web sites tend to help people to come closer to determining their underlying weight level!>
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Pizza calories make me sad 🍕
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    You need to at least narrow it down by brand. The proportion of crust, sauce, cheese and meat are not going to be consistent from one brand to the next.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited March 2019
    echmain3 wrote: »
    There’s a huge margin for error. You’d have to measure each ingredient in the pizza to figure out the calories.

Lookup a bunch of entries for pizza and estimate on the high side. Best you can do.
    That is how I estimate pizza. I do not eat that often, so I am good with it. If I had to do algebra to get the calories on pizza, I wouldn't bother.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    129 g of our local Cape Cod Cafe Pepperoni Pizza is 310 calories. It's a somewhat thinner crust than say Pizza Hut, but not cracker-thin.

Your best bet might be to find a national chain that makes a similar pizza to what you eat and use their info.
  • texasredreb
    I would rather over than under estimate, but y'all have given me great info. I loved having three very narrow pieces. I weighed them all together and then I put two back in the box and ate them one at a time. It actually felt like three whole, big slices like I used to have.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    When you order pizza in Italy at a pizzeria, it’s weighed so you pay by the gram. Easier for logging.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 661 Member
    I would do a combination of weighing and going "by the slice". If your 3 small pieces were 1/6 of the pizza, for example, how much did your research say that would be (based on several data entries).

You could also weigh the entire pizza (next time) and compare that to the whole pizza calorie count, and do the math that way.