Is corn good for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    For a change put the corn in its leaves on a hot grill. Turn them once in a while until leaves are charred. Remove leaves, enjoy! Try different spices for a taste sensation.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I like corn and eat some several times a week.

Can't see why it would not be good ( barring allergies, medical conditions etc)

And in sensible amounts within a balanced diet, same as all and any foods. Corn is not very high calorie, should be easy food to fit into any calorie allowance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Nebraska...corn is life...but I typically only eat it in season and I get it from a local farm here.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I grew up in Nebraska...corn is life...but I typically only eat it in season and I get it from a local farm here.

Same here (but in Illinois). I do have relatives in Iowa and Nebraska -- all corn states.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Same here (but in Illinois). I do have relatives in Iowa and Nebraska -- all corn states.

Yes, but isn't most of the corn grown there feed corn (for animals) or for corn syrup and other ingredients for food manufacturing, not sweet corn that people eat on the cob or as whole kernels (frozen or canned)? I live on the East Coast and we eat delicious local corn in the summer without being a "corn state."
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2019
    Options

Yes, but isn't most of the corn grown there feed corn (for animals) or for corn syrup and other ingredients for food manufacturing, not sweet corn that people eat on the cob or as whole kernels (frozen or canned)? I live on the East Coast and we eat delicious local corn in the summer without being a "corn state."

Most of the corn, perhaps, but we grow lots of sweet corn too. I have a farm share and get tons (exaggeration) of sweet corn that's locally grown, conditions are perfect for it. (I'm not a huge corn fan so don't buy it in the grocery store or eat it off season, but fresh locally grown corn is irresistible to me.)
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Corn comes out exactly as it goes in, so not sure of its nutritional value at all.

Try chewing your food perhaps?

lol
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I like corn and eat some several times a week.

Can't see why it would not be good ( barring allergies, medical conditions etc)

And in sensible amounts within a balanced diet, same as all and any foods. Corn is not very high calorie, should be easy food to fit into any calorie allowance.

I luuurrvvvvee me some corn!!!!! With butter and salt....
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I don't really like or eat canned or frozen corn.

But towards the end of the summer I love the local Colorado sweet corn. So tender and yummy!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

Most of the corn, perhaps, but we grow lots of sweet corn too. I have a farm share and get tons (exaggeration) of sweet corn that's locally grown, conditions are perfect for it. (I'm not a huge corn fan so don't buy it in the grocery store or eat it off season, but fresh locally grown corn is irresistible to me.)

Wasn't questioning the availability of local corn for human consumption -- just questioning the implied connection between a state being a "corn state" (a reputation based on growing feed corn and corn for food-manufacturing and industrial use) and being able to get good local corn for human consumption in the summer. Lots of places not known as "corn states" have good local corn for human consumption in the summer.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    Options
    Corn from "Taber", Alberta is really really good just BBQ'ed as is with nothing on it except maybe some salt and pepper!

In general, especially when using corn as a butter delivery vehicle, I would consider it a tasty, but not necessarily calorically optimal for the level of satiety delivered, addition to my diet.
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2019
    Options

Wasn't questioning the availability of local corn for human consumption -- just questioning the implied connection between a state being a "corn state" (a reputation based on growing feed corn and corn for food-manufacturing and industrial use) and being able to get good local corn for human consumption in the summer. Lots of places not known as "corn states" have good local corn for human consumption in the summer.

Um, okay. Sorry my response to cwolfman bugged you. Many states known as corn states are such because the climate/soil/conditions make growing corn really easy. I know people who grow corn in their back yards, although I don't plan to because I don't love corn that much and it's not pretty. Many people I know had involvement with corn agriculture as teens (tasseling corn). I was not suggesting that you couldn't get good corn out of the midwest, but it's hard to avoid it here in summer.

Contrary to many here, I never add salt and rarely add butter to my corn, and it still tastes great.
  • cjac524
    cjac524 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is. You don't need to eat a ton of it. It is good for energy. Just like any other starchy carb.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Love corn!!!!
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid we would eat sweet corn right out of the garden without cooking it or salt or pepper or anything. BTW you can make yourself sick on fresh corn like that... beware!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Corn is neither good nor bad for weight loss. Your overall calorie intake is what's good or bad for weight loss. I love corn. I'm lucky that I think butter ruins the flavor of freshly boiled corn, so I can eat a lot of it and not rack up too many calories. I like it boiled whole with a bit of salt rubbed onto the cob.