How do you guys handle exercise after long work days?

So a couple days a week, I end up working these shifts that end up being 12 hours long. 8 of those hours are sedentary, but the next 4 are on my feet and I end up walking 11-15000 steps by the end of the day.

I am aiming to hit the gym 6 days a week, 5 with weights and 1 heavy cardio, and 1 rest day. I took my rest day yesterday on my first 12 hour shift.

I end up sleeping like crap on the long shift days because I'm just not a morning person, and these end up starting early.

I want to go to the gym. But I'll probably get there after 10, and I don't know if I'll have the energy to do the full sets of Back, Biceps and Forearms that I have planned. Certainly not to the weight that I am pushing.

So on these days where you are mentally fatigued, haven't slept well, and in my case, am in a rather substantial calorie deficit, how do you handle the gym? Do you just try to do one solid set on everything or something?... Coffee?

Let me know what you do!

Replies

• emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Usually once you get to the gym and start moving you will feel better!

But if not I recommend a good preworkout... my husband swears by his... but also I would try to do 5*5 (pretty heavy weight) full body... squats, deadlift, overhead press, and then max 2-3 max rep pull-up& pushups. That way you will still give a good workout in!
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    edited March 2019
    If you're really exhausted, maybe you aren't eating enough.

You say:
    am in a rather substantial calorie deficit

What does that mean? Are you eating more on exercise days? Have you set your weight loss goal realistically, with honest appraisal of your busy day-to-day activity/job?

If you're tired, there's a reason. Listen to your body when it's tired. It needs fuel or sleep or both.

I mean... isn't the nature of calorie counting for weight loss not eating enough by definition? My goal is aggressive, about 2-3 pounds a week, with 150 grams of protein, maintaining under 1600 calories a day. I definitely need sleep, that much I do know hahaha

You aren't supposed to deprive yourself to the point of ill-effect, how sustainable is that in the long run? How overweight are you that you're aiming for 2lb+ a week loss?
    I just looked at your Food diary.

No. Wonder.

Every day out of the last six days have been at 1200-1500 calories: 1500 is the absolute bottom calorie goal for men, and it definitely doesn't suit your lifestyle and activity. It shows no extra food eaten on gym days (I assume you went every day, but there is no record of Exercise on your diary.)

You look like you're set at Sedentary and the most aggressive rate of loss. How much weight do you need to lose to be in a healthy BMI?

From Help at the top of every page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

(Video below is from this sticky thread)
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67USKg3w_E4

There are 30 or so more pounds, then the diet would have to change substantially regardless.
  • Spadesheart
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Personally, I would use those days as rest days. You're getting plenty of steps in those days. I would also run a full body program 3x per week rather than a bro split as it is more efficient in numerous ways (including results) and tends to work better with most people's schedules. I think it's important to be able to work your fitness around other life obligations.
    If you're really exhausted, maybe you aren't eating enough.

You say:
    am in a rather substantial calorie deficit

What does that mean? Are you eating more on exercise days? Have you set your weight loss goal realistically, with honest appraisal of your busy day-to-day activity/job?

If you're tired, there's a reason. Listen to your body when it's tired. It needs fuel or sleep or both.

I mean... isn't the nature of calorie counting for weight loss not eating enough by definition? My goal is aggressive, about 2-3 pounds a week, with 150 grams of protein, maintaining under 1600 calories a day. I definitely need sleep, that much I do know hahaha

No, it's about eating enough to support a proper functioning body and to be healthy and still lose weight. You're netting 1200-1500 calories per day...frankly, you're wasting your time in the weight room with an approach that aggressive.

I'm just trying my best to maintain on the way down, so far I have been building strength, but as soon as that changes, so will the diet. This is why I've been experimenting with so much protein.

I've been trying to switch to full body, but its exhaustive in a different way, and I can't push as much weight. Probably needs a bit more conditioning. I hit the whole body in 3 days, and try to hit it almost over again in the second 2. I hit everything twice in 8.
  • 796fra
    796fra Posts: 45 Member
    Classes. For me the extra accountability of my classmates gets me to workout in the evenings. Also I don't have to think about what I'm going to do, or listen to. I just show up and the instructor takes us through a great workout.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I do a light workout on work days, usually just cardio. Lifting weights requires more energy so I do that on off days. My work days are 10 hours
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    It’s hard. I’m working long hours now and am challenged getting my training in. What I remind myself is that “something is better than nothing.” Been doing some short yet higher-intensity workouts.

Last week, I did 100 two-hand kettlebell swings with my 24kg KB as quickly as possible. 3:09 later, my workout was over and it was a good one.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    rosiorama wrote: »
    You need to eat more, and change to a more modest goal per week. What you’re doing is not sustainable and you can’t perform well in the gym because your deficit is too big.

Plus, I’d cut the day of agressive cardio, if you’re looking to gain muscle, cardio won’t help.

Cardio done with proper load regulation within a well written program can be beneficial to lifting which can help with hypertrophy or strength gains.

It might not be necessary for a lifter but at some point it can certainly be beneficial opposed to not for many individuals.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Mmmm

Sounds to me like a good rest would do your body and your mind far more good than pumping iron.

Stress is not good for you - you seem to me at least a bit stressed and possibly too self-imposed goal orientated rather than listening to what your body actually needs.

That tortoise won the race...and enjoyed the view on the way no doubt!

Good luck with those long work days
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    You need to eat more, and change to a more modest goal per week. What you’re doing is not sustainable and you can’t perform well in the gym because your deficit is too big.

Plus, I’d cut the day of agressive cardio, if you’re looking to gain muscle, cardio won’t help.

Cardio done with proper load regulation within a well written program can be beneficial to lifting which can help with hypertrophy or strength gains.

It might not be necessary for a lifter but at some point it can certainly be beneficial opposed to not for many individuals.

Nice thoughts, some additional support for this:
    http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/long-duration-low-intensity-cardio/
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    My shifts are a minimum of 12 hours. I train before work because I know after a long day I'll be too tired/grumpy and just not have the motivation to hit the gym (also when I'm on day shift, I'd rather spend my evenings with my family than to take time away from them to be training).
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member

I DO agree with your correction, and your comment. OP’s schedule and deficit sounds alarming, and the HEAVY cardio he/she mentioned on top of everything else was just too much.

I’ve been on an agressive fitness/work schedule - only one rest day and working lots of hours - and it was wrecking me... and I was on maintainance calories. Not in a deficit. Cardio was sacrificed for my sanity.
  • Spadesheart
    edited March 2019

I DO agree with your correction, and your comment. OP’s schedule and deficit sounds alarming, and the HEAVY cardio he/she mentioned on top of everything else was just too much.

I’ve been on an agressive fitness/work schedule - only one rest day and working lots of hours - and it was wrecking me... and I was on maintainance calories. Not in a deficit. Cardio was sacrificed for my sanity.

I do the cardio the day after leg day as it helps with recovery, the extra blood pumping down there makes it so I'm less sore. Otherwise I'm hobbling for a few days.

Also the cardio is with max resistance, so I imagine that it works the muscle a bit. It's like auxiliary leg day haha
  • Spadesheart
    Mmmm

Sounds to me like a good rest would do your body and your mind far more good than pumping iron.

Stress is not good for you - you seem to me at least a bit stressed and possibly too self-imposed goal orientated rather than listening to what your body actually needs.

That tortoise won the race...and enjoyed the view on the way no doubt!

Good luck with those long work days

Oh I'm definitely goal oriented, I just want to get this over with so I can move on with the next thing, and maintain on the way down as best as I can. My life is not super stressful right now, and I have a lot of time other than on these few super long work days, so I thought I'd put in a really good effort.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I got up at 3 a.m. this morning to make sure I got my workout in. If I leave workouts til after work, I find too many excuses not to do it.