After losing weight criticism

Options
imxnianne
imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
Have you ever had people say they liked you bigger, or say don’t lose too much weight? I’ve had a lot of people notice it, 100% of them. I’ve had plenty say keep up the good work! I’ve also had people judge me saying, I don’t like you skinny. Or they friends that become mean. I feel deep down the insecurities of them, because they say they want to go gym. They say they want to go gym, but don’t want to. I don’t get it, I’m losing friends because of weight loss or they’re becoming more plastic. Share your opinion?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you're losing friends because of your weight loss, they were never really friends. Let them go and make better ones--that will stand by you no matter what. And you need to do the same for them.
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you're losing friends because of your weight loss, they were never really friends. Let them go and make better ones--that will stand by you no matter what. And you need to do the same for them.

I was thinking this. We were cool until I saw some silence and attitude.

• amyelizbeth
    amyelizbeth Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me. My friends were all supportive of my weight loss, at first, but quickly started to turn on me. I noticed it when I was losing, at a healthy rate, and they started to gossip amongst each other that I had an eating disorder - I didn't, but they knew I had one in high school. They also judged me on what I ate, even when I was really sick after starting new medication and didn't want to eat too much in fear of vomiting.

It wasn't until my boyfriend started to point out how miserable they were making me that I finally decided to cut them off.

Surround yourself with people that want you to succeed and are happy to support you and want to see you do well.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to those that criticise. You don't need that bs in your life. Real friends are supportive.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    They aren't your friends. They are either jealous, or annoyed that you are no longer the token fat person to make fun of. Both options make them nasty people.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    They are definitely not real friends. Real friends are happy for you when you are successful. I am sorry you experienced this.
  • powerplaymsu
    powerplaymsu Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Is this a female thing? None of my male friends hardly said a word. As others have already they aren't true friends. Great job btw!
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have gotten attitude mostly from family about my weight loss. It might pass if you're willing to wait on it. Some people have an aversion to change. Or it might not pass. Only you can decide if these people are worth keeping around.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    first of all, great job! secondly yeah, i get treated a lot differently after dropping weight. oddly enough, the same people that told me i needed to lose weight are the ones treating me poorly after doing just that.