Lack of hunger with exercise?

Options
Hi everyone! I know this is probably not something I should complain about but I've noticed that ever since I started running and traning for a half marathon my hunger has gone down quite a bit. I know I need to eat so I'm tying to make myself eat normal healthy meals and snacks but I'm just kind of suprised by the lack of hunger. I run around 8am and really cant even think about food until at least 1-2pm. Then it's really hard to cram all my calories in by the end of the day so I'm ending up with 500-600 calories left each day. Not good :( Does anyone know what might cause this?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    tagging along as I'm the same way...
  • jab10679
    Options
    I wish I could help you out .. I have the complete opposite problem!!

The more I workout the more I want to eat! It's insane how much my appetite changed since I increased my cardio and strength training.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    Running makes me super hungry!....800 calories in 60 mins man...my body like demands food....

I usually eat 2 hrs pre-run.... and I need to eat a big meal straight after my run!... with other exercises my need to eat is lower!...like after a spin class or body attack class I don't generally get hungry but I force myself to have some peanutbutter or protein shake...
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Like the skeletal muscles, the digestive system can be trained to get used to a steady intake of food. It takes a bit of food planning until your body naturally begins to actually feel hungry, but right after a workout, get used to having a recovery meal to replenish glycogen stores with carbs and some protein to repair muscles. That should jump start the effect of natural hunger. Then from that point on, if you have a good amount of calories remaining, don't be afraid to eat more calorie dense foods, if there's not enough time in the day for yourself to eat your normal staple.
  • Jdine
    Jdine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The endorphin's released suppress your appetite, Try having a protein shake directly after you exercise to calm your stomach. Or try eating a meal before your workout.. If your only doing cardio you might want to start doing some wt training as well. Building muscle will increase your metabolic rate and will stimulate your hunger to provide for the new muscle.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! Well, sometimes - other times I get super hungry after working out! I just try to eat something with lots of protein afterwards (nuts, hard-boiled eggs, meat, going to try protein bars as well). I feel like I should have the protein after exercising, and it seems like my appetite levels out shortly after eating. Start off by just eating a few almonds or some peanut butter soon after exercising and see if that makes a difference. Hope this helped!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    ya, I don't know. I count it as a good thing though. Saturday was my cheat day, but it was also my long run day. I ran 11.5 miles and I had no desire to cheat...I finally ate some icecream at 10:00 that night. You could try eating high calorie/carb meals instead of little things... for example, a protein bar packs 200 calories and you can eat that in just a few bites. It is REALLY important to recover after a run though. Chocolate milk and bananas are popular for that. For some reason I frequently want chocolate ice cream after I run over 8 or 9 miles. Not quite sure what that is about...but I haven't caved. Maybe after my half I will celebrate with it.
  • domesticgypsie
    domesticgypsie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I have lost 50lbs. I got a cold last week and really lost my appetite. I lost 1.5lbs that I can't afford to lose. I'm 122 tonight, but when I weigh in, in the morning, I'm just under 120 or so.
    I just don't think about food much anymore, not like I used to, my body doesn't require nearly as much either. I'm like you, I want to feel hungry before I eat. I do make myself stop and eat a healthy snack, or I eat a 200 calorlie piece of chocolate! LOL
    I chase after my 10 month old grandson all day too, so I don't get to sit around much.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    its really important that you eat though...not telling you that ~OMG its gonna slow your weight loss down~, but i was doing the same thing you were doing... (netting about 600/700 cals a day while running at least 5 miles a day). five months lateri found out that i was underweight, and that i had a low blood pressure and low resting heart rate. my doctor told me to stop running or else i could risk a heart attack. all that training went down the drain and i missed my half marathon because i was simply too unhealthily thin to run it.

so it is very, VERY important that you EAT and fuel your body, especially when training for a half marathon. your body needs fuel in order to perform...and trust me, you dont want to have to start using rogaine because your hair is falling out due to lack of nutrition and rigorous exercise...i found out the hard way. even if its just nuts or some guacamole on your turkey sandwich after a workout...just try to make sure you are eating enough!! <333
  • ketrell
    ketrell Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Sometimes I eat a protein bar in between meals.
  • undermajorconstruction
    Options
    IDK. I sometimes feel nauseous after a workout which makes me cringe at the thought of food.
  • hna84
    hna84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice-it's nice to know I'm not alone! I know I need to eat and I will try to have more calorie dense items throughout the day if I'm struggling to get my food in. It's just hard when you feel almost nauseous at the thought of food. But I really don't want to compromise my health or my ability to run so I guess I gotta just suck it up!