Getting back on track after a loss of loved one

Options
I was doing well, sticking to the plan and excercising, I was so happy with the results I was seeing...then bam. The love of my life,father of my child passed away.
Not here for the so story really, but I'm an emotional eater, so I've gained back 12 pounds in the two months he's been gone.
How does one stop emotionally eating?! argh.

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    im sorry for your loss.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Wish I had some good advice as I'm struggling with that myself. When successful, I pick 1 thing at a time to figure out. I'm also sorry for your loss
  • KIC127
    KIC127 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I understand. I was doing so great, maintaining a loss that had put me close to my goal for a couple years, and when I lost my loved one, I lost my motivation and gained more than half back. It took me some time to realize this isn’t the life they would want for me, so I am taking control again and getting back to where I need to be. And taking back this part of my life is helping me accept and handle the loss as well.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your lost!

I lost my grandchild just over a year ago. I went completely off track for about 9 months and then started to ease back into diet and exercise. And honestly I really didn't care because other things were a bigger focus for me.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to self care intensely in more than one area at a time. Unless control of your weight will HELP your grief... I'd say seek out emotional care for now. Whether that's peer groups, journaling, therapy. Maybe you could just try to maintain weight and not try to lose while you adjust. :(
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. The death of my father in Jan 2018 was my undoing. I re-gained over 20 lbs in less than a year. He had been a huge part of my motivation to get healthy and stay healthy while he was battling for each day.
    I knew I had to pull myself together, but the dark days and nights of grief were holding me back. It took me about 11 months to realize that I was headed down the wrong road. All of my “comfort” eating was doing nothing to comfort me and everything to do with making me gain weight. I have already kicked cancer once and I know what I have to do to not go back there. My dad passed from pancreatic cancer and I see the hand-writing on the wall for me. I only have control over so many things and what I eat and my excercise habits are fully in my control. I think about my dad every time I am out walking and know how much he would love to be taking that walk with me. That alone is enough to keep me putting one foot in front of the other. Give yourself time. There is no timeline for grief. Everyone is different. My heart goes out to you. 💞
  • QueenOfTheSea_83
    QueenOfTheSea_83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was doing well, sticking to the plan and excercising, I was so happy with the results I was seeing...then bam. The love of my life,father of my child passed away.
    Not here for the so story really, but I'm an emotional eater, so I've gained back 12 pounds in the two months he's been gone.
    How does one stop emotionally eating?! argh.

I’m so sorry. It’s understandable that you’re out of your routine right now, you’re grieving. And did you say it’s only been 2 months? That’s no time at all. Grieving is such a long and painful process, you need all the support you can get but don’t put too much pressure on yourself to be a certain way or eat the ‘right’ things all the time. Be patient and kind with yourself and give yourself time to heal naturally. Don’t force anything. Feel free to add me if you need a friend 😊

• rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Just over a year and a half ago I had the opposite problem with my weight. I lost my dad, and aunt, and a friend all within 7 months of each other - and I lost 25 pounds that I didn’t want to lose. I just couldn’t eat. And tjen I started eating too much and gained it all back plus more. I am finally around where I’d like to be, but it took time.

Do what you can. Cut yourself some slack. A few months is very little when it comes to handling the loss of a loved one.

I could suggest journalling, or therapy, or taking yourself on walks to get out of the house, but all these things are easier said than done.

It takes time. Take care of yourself, in whatever way is meaningful and helpful to you. I’m so sorry for your loss.
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am so, so sorry to hear about your loss. I want you to know that it gets better. In time, you will be able to look back and cherish the memories you made with him. Take one day at a time. Use your support structure. Focus on small steps and those healthy habits that actually make you feel good. It will get better.