No bonus "points" for strength training

Options
I just started using the MFP app again and I see that it gives pretty good "points" for cardiovascular exercise but it gives NO bonus calories for strength training. I am really bothered by this! Exercise is exercise..right? Let me know your thoughts.

Replies

• DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Not quite sure what you mean by 'points' there. Strength Training is listed under Cardiovascular Exercise but is sadly a low calorie burn. The benefits you gain from doing it far outweigh that though IMHO. Can you clarify please? Thanks.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Meh, the bonus of looking good in a swimsuit is worth more than a few extra calories at the end of the day. I personally don't track strength training.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Go into the Cardio side, and log "strength training". You'll get some calories that way.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    When logging exercise go to cardio tab first, then pick strength training as one of exercises and it will give you calories. It’s weird but that’s how it’s set up.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    HJHecking wrote: »
    I just started using the MFP app again and I see that it gives pretty good "points" for cardiovascular exercise but it gives NO bonus calories for strength training. I am really bothered by this! Exercise is exercise..right? Let me know your thoughts.

Strength training doesn't burn many calories. When you add your strength exercise here as strength training, that feature is meant as a journal. So you know how many pounds and reps you did, to see you progress. If you enter it as cardiovascular exercise, but choose strength training, it will give you a small calorie guess.

All exercise is not the same.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Exercise calories aren't a "bonus" - they are just how this site accounts for what is a perfectly legitimate calorie need of your body.

If you went to a TDEE calculator an average estimate of your exercise calories would be included in your daily goal but that's not how MyFitnessPal does it.