Time

Options
I have just started on here and I am doing relatively good as far as the dieting but I am having trouble finding the time and the energy for exercise. Does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    go to a group class. keeps you motivated and accountable. I do spin. After doing that 2x/wk for several months I gradually "found" time and motivation to exercise on other days, too.

I purposefully chose the 6 a.m. classes. I get up at 5, which is early for me, specifically so I wouldn't have work, family, or other activities competing for that time. I never miss regardless of how I slept that night unless something extraordinary happens (travel, the gym is closed for a holiday, etc.). Just have to commit. 2x/wk, 1 hour classes. find one you like (spin, body pump, zumba, something) and stick to it.
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Are you *really* having trouble, or are you making excuses? If you're organized and keep a daily agenda, schedule it like a meeting or an appointment. If you're having trouble because of family issues, tell a significant other (if there is one) and have them watch the kids while you exercise. But, it does need to become a priority. You'll only get so far with diet alone.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Dude, leftymac, we're both at 71 lbs lost! way to go!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You have to make the time. How bad do you want to lose the weight?
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! You can find all sorts of motivation here as well as support. But only you can make your goals become reality, only you can do the work and only you can feel good about your accomplishments.

There is always time to exercise, you just need to make the change in your schedule to adjust to your new lifestyle. There is no try, only do or not do. It's your choice.

Good luck. Add me if you would like, I am full of all sorts of motivation.
  • gabrielleshannonhatt
    Options
    that happened to me today. i just didnt want to do anything.
    buttt......
    i pushed myself to go anyways.
    it wasn't for a long time; approximately 20 minutes.
    butttt.....
    doing something is way better than doing nothing.
    even if you dont feel too energetic just go for a short walk or something.
    trust me, you feel a lot better afterwards.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I set small goals and exceeded them.

I started by saying I'm going to the gym for 10 minutes.
    Hardly seems worth it right, but I found getting prepared, and getting out of the house or office more of an effort than the actual exercising.

Even at first, once I got to the gym I usually stayed for at least 20 minutes. Then gradually upped it bit by bit as my capacity expanded. Now I'm pushing and hour and increasing difficulty (and I only get a half-hour for lunch, but the boss is cool if I skip one day and double up the next.)

I force myself to go, but never force myself to stay if I can't find a way to make it fun. Now I'm seeing it as a reward not an obligation or punishment. If I can keep if fun I can keep it going.
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm a single SAHM-during-the-day and WAHM-during-the-night mom. So time for myself is definitely a rarity! I started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred last week. It's a great workout packed into 20 minutes. I do it at 9pm, after putting my daughter to bed (since I generally work until 1-2am, morning isn't an option for me). I love getting to the gym for a longer workout but it isn't always an option with my schedule. I really can't make excuses for why I didn't take 20 minutes, at home, to burn some calories.

Find a DVD you love and promise yourself you'll do it every night!

Almost 9.... off to do my 30DS.....
  • rkennedy234
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help. I am a stay at home mom of 4 and babysit 2 more so for me it is finding the right time when i am not needed for something or someone. I am not giving up, I just have to find what is right for me.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I also go in the morning early for a class at the gym, or ride my bike with friends at 6.00 a.m. Find what works for you and make a conscious decision. Once you make that decision you only have to go for 3 weeks before it is a habit that you won't want to break.

Good luck

GG