Exercise and Depression

2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For me, some of the time I spend exercising feels like carrying a light in the darkness.

That's awesome - I love it!

OP - while exercise does help me quite a bit - I think more than the Wellbutrin - I only get the endorphin rush when I am being active outside.

As well as different forms of exercise, do try another AD. I went through about a half dozen before I found Wellbutrin. Prozac gave me panic attacks and I lost the ability to and interest in orgasm with Zoloft...

My brother's antipsychotics will stop working from time to time, and he has to experiment with different drugs before he is stable again.

Yeah, being outdoors is a big part of it. And moving around. Any kind of accomplishment (I skied dead man's curve without crashing, rode fast or beat a power record, squatted a PR, whatever) is like a counterbalance against the anxiety. I think the passing of time and getting older brothers all of us, exercise feels like I'm putting some of my time to good use, and it helps slow the process too.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    I agree about the skill component. There might be people who can get something out of a treadmill or whatever, but for me it has to be a skilful activity that gives me a sense of achievement.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    I'll echo some others here and that exercise does absolutely nothing for my depression. It doesn't matter the type, intensity, or duration. My depression is also treatment resistant. Therapy helps me be very functional, but exercise? No.

I consider you a friend, and I'm so sorry to hear this.

Edit to add: hugs.

Hugs, thanks @NorthCascades - that means a lot. Therapy is definitely the reason why I'm able to do everything that I'm able to do now, including exercise. Lots and lots of therapy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For me, some of the time I spend exercising feels like carrying a light in the darkness.

That's awesome - I love it!

OP - while exercise does help me quite a bit - I think more than the Wellbutrin - I only get the endorphin rush when I am being active outside.

As well as different forms of exercise, do try another AD. I went through about a half dozen before I found Wellbutrin. Prozac gave me panic attacks and I lost the ability to and interest in orgasm with Zoloft...

My brother's antipsychotics will stop working from time to time, and he has to experiment with different drugs before he is stable again.

Yeah, being outdoors is a big part of it. And moving around. Any kind of accomplishment (I skied dead man's curve without crashing, rode fast or beat a power record, squatted a PR, whatever) is like a counterbalance against the anxiety. I think the passing of time and getting older brothers all of us, exercise feels like I'm putting some of my time to good use, and it helps slow the process too.

Yes, I like the sense of accomplishment as well, which is why I am drawn to trail maintenance - the worse the trail, the better, as far as I am concerned. I get excited when I see a tree has fallen :lol:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    sesilLi wrote: »
    Hi! I read that from depression well helps CBD oil and plan in the near future to buy a bottle on trial in a shop near my house.[snipped link JIC] By the way, I also read that there is CBD oil, which helps to lose weight. What do you think about these products?

CBD oils helps my brother with anxiety. It makes me a little sleepy, but I did not find it effective as a sleep aid. It would not help me with depression or weight loss making me sleepy would be counterproductive.

Watch out for over-hyped products as these will be over-priced - probably something at a health food store that doesn't have a lot of marketing is fine.
  • NorthCascades
    sesilLi wrote: »
    Hi! I read that from depression well helps CBD oil and plan in the near future to buy a bottle on trial in a shop near my house https://www.marijuanabreak.com/buy-cbd-oil-near-me. By the way, I also read that there is CBD oil, which helps to lose weight. What do you think about these products?

CBD is having a moment, for sure. Companies are trying to sell it to everyone for everything. It probably doesn't actually cure everything. It probably isn't regulated very well either, so you might pay a lot of money for something that isn't even what you think you're buying.

Finally, there are a lot of people who smoke marijuana here, and they seem to really enjoy eating, so I wouldn't try it for weight loss!!
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Exercise helped me, a little bit, on good days - not so much on bad days.
    Sticking to a running or weight lifting program was hard - I trained intermittently.
    But hiking was usually good. I had a feeling of going SOMEWHERE and walking over rough ground kept me from ruminating quite so badly.
    And exercise was a check box on the self care checklist I made myself (shower, talk to a friend/anyone, eat 3 veggies, take supplements, etc.)
    Wishing you some progress against the depression.
  • NorthCascades
    My doctor told me I'm her most active patient. I don't know if that says anything about the topic at hand or not.
  • aokoye
    My doctor told me I'm her most active patient. I don't know if that says anything about the topic at hand or not.

Yeah my therapist is very happy that I exercise as much as I do (she's also very intrigued). She recognizes that it's not going to make my depression anymore bearable than if I didn't, but she thinks it's good nonetheless. It's a "oh hey I like this thing, let's try to keep doing things I like" and slowly turning into a "we can use this as a medium to exercise how not to push yourself too hard in various situations" - that is both convenient and totally unintended.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    How often do you exercise? I am in a research class in psychology and have chosen depression and exercise therapy for my research topic. From the research papers I have went over exercise does seem to help but it needs to be at least five days a week. Aerobic exercise seems to be the best for depression but a small amount of people were even able to get benefit from yoga.
  • aokoye
    How often do you exercise? I am in a research class in psychology and have chosen depression and exercise therapy for my research topic. From the research papers I have went over exercise does seem to help but it needs to be at least five days a week. Aerobic exercise seems to be the best for depression but a small amount of people were even able to get benefit from yoga.

From what I understand too (from research I've read, not from my own anecdotes), it's only been found to be effective if the person with depression has mild to moderate depression. Again, I haven't done anything even close to a lit review on this, but it's pretty easy to find peer reviewed studies stating this if you have access to institutional journal subscriptions (which I'm assuming you do).
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    edited March 2019

From what I understand too (from research I've read, not from my own anecdotes), it's only been found to be effective if the person with depression has mild to moderate depression. Again, I haven't done anything even close to a lit review on this, but it's pretty easy to find peer reviewed studies stating this if you have access to institutional journal subscriptions (which I'm assuming you do).

Yes, that's true although exercise has also helped major depression along with anti-depressants. The participants who added exercise to their anti-depressant regime were usually more successful than those who just took anti-depressants alone.

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    See your doctor. If you've just lost 20 pounds (270 to 250) your medication dosages might need to be adjusted. I'm no doctor, so my opinion isn't necessarily the answer for you. With regards to how exercise helps my depression, it's not necessarily getting endorphins from running or taking a Zumba class, it's the feeling that I accomplished at least one thing today. Getting off the couch, putting on workout shoes, and getting out the door might be the most I do that ends up giving me a little dose of pride.
  • talkinghead86
    talkinghead86 Posts: 66 Member

Yes, that's true although exercise has also helped major depression along with anti-depressants. The participants who added exercise to their anti-depressant regime were usually more successful than those who just took anti-depressants alone.

I would think many people with severe depression would very likely need medication as they'd probably struggle to get out of bed, achieve everyday tasks, etc.....so yes -- it makes sense that mild to moderate depression/anxiety can or would benefit from exercise most days out of the week ....but what and how much of what you're consuming before (or even after) that workout session plays a role too.....

either way, depression really sucks /:
  • aokoye

I would think many people with severe depression would very likely need medication as they'd probably struggle to get out of bed, achieve everyday tasks, etc.....so yes -- it makes sense that mild to moderate depression/anxiety can or would benefit from exercise most days out of the week ....but what and how much of what you're consuming before (or even after) that workout session plays a role too.....

either way, depression really sucks /:

There are also a fair amount of people with depression (severe and not) who aren't helped by medication and people with treatment resistant depression.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Exercise does nothing for my depression. Even when I was going to the gym on a regular basis, I felt no different. My biggest depression symptom is constant fatigue. Going to the gym makes me even more tired. I do plan on starting to going to the gym again this week, but its always an uphill battle.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    For me it helps. It is merely something right and good that I could not have completed, yet I did. At the end of the day I can look back and sleep soundly knowing I did one thing right and good.

I suspect despite the symptoms found within biochemical responses, hormones, etc. at the core of depression is loss of a sense of purpose. The path to wellness may be as simple as finding something good where one can influence others in a positive manner.

• OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    hello OP. I had depression in my 20's and tried to manage it through diet and exercise which didnt make any difference. In fact, this helped my Dr diagnose and prescribe AD's with confidence. The AD's helped, largely by getting my sleep quality and duration back on track. That being said, once off the AD's I do think the exercise and diet helped me feel even better. The depression essentially supressed everything. I want to encourage you to take one day at a time and be kind to yourself - I hope the dark cloud lifts soon for you. x
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Okay. My cat ran away last week. Still don't know where he is. I was out of town; came home as soon as I could to look. And for the first few days, I felt like I was going out of my head (anxiety flare-up) coupled with lethargy and misery (going to call this one self-diagnosed situational depression). I did find that until I could get home and start searching, etc., taking long walks helped me calm down. BUT

1) I have mild anxiety issues and
    2) I do not suffer from clinical depression.

So in my case, yes exercise helped me keep it together temporarily (until I could actually do something constructive), but that's with relatively minor issues.