Fage yogurt is it good

Options

Replies

• mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi, Fage 0% yoghurt has been recommended to me as a good food for snack and dessert. Is it a good low fat alternative to other snacks with frozen fruit? Thankyou

Have you tried Fage total plain, 5%/the full fat version? It is so creamy, delicious in a cream cheese kind of way and very satisfying to me. I've tried the 0% version, and I like it, but once I went full-fat, I couldn't go back. B)

Best wishes on your weight loss goals, and find what works for you and follow freely and passionately!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan of Fage. I personally prefer Chobani and eat some pretty much every afternoon.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I've tried Fage but I like Dannon Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt better. I use the Orange Cream flavored one in my green smoothies and while it has a few more calories than Fage 0% (120cal vs 90cal), and 3 less g of protein, it also has 6g of fiber vs Fage which has none. I aim for at least 30g of fiber a day so this really helps my numbers.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My favorite dessert is Fage, a teaspoon of Jello cheesecake powder mixed in and left to set in the freezer for five minutes, chopped walnuts and mixed frozen berries (just thawed.) mmmm. I have that three or four times per week.

Never thought of this but what a great idea! Gonna try it this week. I've been really missing cheesecake lately.

That's exactly it! Well, and it's a bit like soft melty ice cream too. It's an excellent sub.

I also like it mixed with Oreo pudding mix. But that's a whole other can of worms.

Yeah well I never even thought of buying mixes and adding to yogurt. I'm gonna have to spend time walking through the grocery store and finding new Fage mix-ins. 😎

I recall James Krieger talking about his body building prep involved a lot of plain Greek yogurt mixed with the water flavoring squeeze bottles.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan! I stir in 0 calorie sweetener or top with fruit or crunchy things - cereal, nuts, Graham crackers, chocolate chips, a few crushed cookies....delicious!

I use it for savory options, too. Think dips, sauces and spreads instead of sour cream.
  • obeaner2
    obeaner2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I crave this yogurt! The 2% with honey is my go-to treat. I look forward to days I have this.
  • SailorDH
    SailorDH Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% is great - In addition the snack and breakfast ideas already posted, I use it instead of mayo for tuna salad - works great -
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i like the full fat plain. then i add what i want. make taziki sauce, add honey, or fruit, make a dip.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat the 0% too with raspberries. It ha the lowest sugar and highest protein amount of a yogurt under 100 calories.
  • zeejane03
    edited March 2019
    Options
    This thread has been a bad influence on me-ended up coming home from the store today with boxes of sugar free cheesecake flavored pudding mixes, plain Greek yogurt (still went with Chobani lol), bananas and Nilla mini cookies. Mixed them together for a snack this afternoon-so good!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    This thread has been a bad influence on me-ended up coming home from the store today with boxes of sugar free cheesecake flavored pudding mixes, plain Greek yogurt (still went with Chobani lol), bananas and Nilla mini cookies. Mixed them together for a snack this afternoon-so good!

LOL awesome. I was actually having a cheesecake craving a couple weeks ago so mixed the pudding in with a container of fat free cool whip. Reeeeeally good.

I usually mix protein powder in with my cottage cheese/greek yogurt but will have to try the cheesecake pudding powder.

*sigh* If only the Jello Oreo Instant Pudding Mix came in a fat free/sugar free version.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

LOL awesome. I was actually having a cheesecake craving a couple weeks ago so mixed the pudding in with a container of fat free cool whip. Reeeeeally good.

I usually mix protein powder in with my cottage cheese/greek yogurt but will have to try the cheesecake pudding powder.

*sigh* If only the Jello Oreo Instant Pudding Mix came in a fat free/sugar free version.

Did you then freeze your cheese cake cool whip? Because frozen cool whip has a mousse-ey marshmallow-ey consistency. In college, after eating our $0.25 instant ramen with a slice of pizza I bummed off the RA, we would have frozen fat free cool whip. :lol:
  • glassyo
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Did you then freeze your cheese cake cool whip? Because frozen cool whip has a mousse-ey marshmallow-ey consistency. In college, after eating our $0.25 instant ramen with a slice of pizza I bummed off the RA, we would have frozen fat free cool whip. :lol:

Well, see, here's the thing.

I had to taste test it because maybe I wouldn't like it?! So right after mixing the spoon was in my mouth. Then a little more because how can you really tell with just one taste? I *was* going to freeze it but nahhhhhh.

(And, no, I didn't polish the whole thing off in one shot. :) I actually tossed some of it because it was becoming one of those I was supposed to log this but never did things.)

I've had straight up frozen cool whip tho. Plain and the oreo mix in one. Now *that* stuff was dangerous.)

<----who remembers the days of being a full assed adult who doesn't wanna cook so lived off a couple bricks of ramen for dinner many a night
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    mdreddie wrote: »
    Have you tried Fage total plain, 5%/the full fat version? It is so creamy, delicious in a cream cheese kind of way and very satisfying to me. I've tried the 0% version, and I like it, but once I went full-fat, I couldn't go back.

Thankyou for that recommendation! I have been buying the 10% Greek yoghurt I can only find in Waitrose (expensive U.K. Supermarket) because I don't like "tangy" yoghurt and thought I needed as much fat as possible to counteract the "tang" tried the 5% Fage today and it's so creamy and mild tasting, available in most supermarkets, you've saved me money as well as some calories!

Edited as I apparently can't spell yoghurt

You're welcome! :) Best wishes on your health and fitness goals!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I might have a brick of ramen, a can of tuna, and a steamer bag of veggies for dinner on occasion in the present tense :blush: Eaten in my pajamas.

I rarely see it anymore, but they used to have fat free chocolate cool whip. I watched many an episode of Cheers with a frozen bucket of chocolate cool whip back in the day.

To stay on topic, I love Fage 2%. I've never had the full fat. The 0% isn't nearly as good IMHO, I'd rather get the Oikos Triple or Dannon Fit if I'm looking that low cal.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love the Fage 0% plain yogurt. I like the 2% and full fat even better, but for lower calories I stick with 0%. Anyway, quick tip--the yogurt is very bold and does tend to overwhelm some fruits. For my taste, it's the best with *ripe* bananas. I have tried it with apples and grapes, and those fruits get overpowered by the yogurt. Just experiment to see what you like and just know that all fruits may not be great with it. Never tried the instant pudding mix (good idea!), but I've stirred in some protein powder for a new flavor, and it was delicious. PB Fit was good too, but I like it plain the best.
  • zeejane03
    Options

I checked but yeah no go :(
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Went to the store, bought sugar free instant cheesecake pudding, mixed with greek yogurt. It is currently in my freezer. I cannot wait to try this new treat!
  • glassyo
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Went to the store, bought sugar free instant cheesecake pudding, mixed with greek yogurt. It is currently in my freezer. I cannot wait to try this new treat!

I can't eat greek yogurt without a bunch of splenda in it. I wonder if the cheesecake flavor would counteract the souriness of the yogurt (altho sugar free so.....). I know my protein powder doesn't.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Well, see, here's the thing.

I've had straight up frozen cool whip tho. Plain and the oreo mix in one. Now *that* stuff was dangerous.)
    t

oh man. i eat frozen cool whip daily now :P (I only eat cool whip frozen). Mixed with a low cal jello chocolate pudding. the days i have other desserts i actually MISS this one! If I have some extra calories i'll add graham crumbs.

but yes the cool whip is one of those very very few items i do not weight so two tablespoons is probably like 5. but i'm still seeing progress i am happy with so, it's fine by me! haha. but the minute i hit a road block i know where to start looking.

Anyway all this rambling to say i need to try jello powder (which i also have/use) with coo whip! i've also considered trying pb poweder either in the coolship or in the jello. worth a taste test...