Feedback on my workout and question about heart rates and strength training

Options
On this round of my weight loss journey (Oct '17) I've gotten to a point where I'd lost about 35 pounds and I'd gained about 10 back and then now lost a few (4-5 pounds) so overall down 30. Still easily 20 pounds away from goal. BMI is at 30 now. Initially I was doing cardio but then fell off the wagon with exercise.

I started weight training 2 times a week back in October and have lost like 4-5 pounds over the last few months. I definitely "look" thinner, clothes are looser and I've gotten a lot of compliments since I've started lifting.

My questions are:
1. If I'm getting to the 60-80% HR target when I lift (I use a polar monitor) am I getting some of the benefits I'd get with cardio? I tried to add like 10-20 mins of cardio at the end but after 45-60 mins of lifting I'm often wiped.

2. How is my routine: dumbell bench press, shoulder press with dumbells, planks, bicep curls, assisted pull up machine, assisted dip machine. On some days I'll add or substitute in leg presses/leg curls. I do 3 sets going from 12 down to 8 reps serially with increasing weights. 60 second rest between. Planks I plank to failure x 3. Any comments?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't wear a HR monitor, but my understanding is that they are inaccurate for weight lifting. I don't believe weight lifting will give you any cardio benefits. That is a personal assumption, however. I have not looked into it.

Your routine - depending on your overall goals, a proven progressive lifting program will serve you better than something you made up yourself. There's a whole list of progressive programs in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    An HRM is accurate for measuring heart rate, it's not a device that knows about calories.

You're getting some cardiovascular benefit from what you're doing. But not on a level with cycling or running or whatever. This is one of those "depends on your goals" things.

Please don't try to turn lifting into cardio, your form will suffer.

I'd highly recommend checking StrongLifts out. It's not that far off from what you're doing but still result in a good balance.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your HR isn't rising while lifting due to oxygen demand so any cardio effect isn't the same as cardio at the same HR. Why not do your cardio on another day when you have the energy to do it properly?

Tracking HR during strength training is a pretty pointless metric, maybe useful in circuit training to a small degree for an indication of recovery (maybe....).

A routine is a bit more than a random collection of exercises if properly designed.

Ask yourself why you are only resting 1 minute between sets if strength gain is your main goal (assumption from your title). If you are just chasing calorie burns from keeping your HR elevated then I think you should be aware that a basic HRM is useless for calorie estimates for weight lifting - don't compromise your lifting to chase fantasy calories.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking with a Polar H7 HRM. The phone app has a setting for strength training. Set your cardio and strength exercises as separate workouts, if yours allows for that.
    The calorie outcome on the settings are significantly different, with the strength training showing much lower calorie results. They must have found a way to calculate on mine, I guess. I'm not eating all calories back, anyway, so I find it a useful guess-timate for evaluating my progress.
    The exercise lineup doesn't make a difference, IMO. I'm supersetting many of mine, so the intensity and heart rate are kept at a decent level. You can manipulate with rest times, but you still need to rest long enough to be able to complete the next set in good form. Heart rate alone won't do for burning calories, as any hard muscle contraction could sent you heart rate into orbit (ughh...planks...) without any actual work, but you can certainly monitor your progress for endurance.

Happy lifting!
  • BlackJack96
    BlackJack96 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I'd highly recommend checking StrongLifts out. It's not that far off from what you're doing but still result in a good balance.

I just want to say thanks! After this post I read the whole Stronglifts 5x5 site figured and switched to that instead of what I was doing. It is MUCH simpler and I'm really making some gains. I've been doing it for about 6 weeks.