Workout ideas?

Options
vca1993
vca1993 Posts: 15 Member
Hey everyone!

So like all of you, I work. Some days 8am to 4:00pm and other days I work from 1:30pm till 10:00pm. On my early nights home, I'll usually have time to take the dog for a long walk around the block before dinner time and on the other days, I run around the house trying to clean, put away crap and all the other fun house stuff. I'm looking for some simple things that I can do so I can loose some tummy gain upper body strengh. I do have a desk job so I'm really looking to start off small and gain from there.

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Do a search for a home callisthenics programs. That should give you some ideas about where to start.

They usually involve no equipment, body weight exercises only to start and there are simplified variations that make the movements achievable for pretty much anyone (wall push ups, bent leg raises, etc). All the movements can then be gradually progressed to harder versions as you get stronger.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    There are some bodyweight strength training programs in this thread that require no/minimal equipment:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do you like to dance? That's what I do. I do dance2fit from home. There are lots of dancing fitness videos on the YouTube :smile:
  • Quelana
    Quelana Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try Fitness Blender, they have hundreds of different exercises (HIIT, Strength training, pilates, low impact etc.) that are anywhere between 10 minutes to 1 hour, so you can start easy and slow.
  • vca1993
    Options
    Thank you guys so much ❤ I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out. So if any of you want to friend me as well that would be awesome! I'm excited to try everything you all suggested hopefully I wont kill myself in the process of trying them all 😂🤣
  • jaxjackjackie
    jaxjackjackie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Discovering hoola hooping has been the best thing for me. I love it and can easily spend 30-60 minutes playing around without even realising I’ve technically done a workout. There are so many tutorials on YouTube to teach you different moves and tricks that work out different parts of your body.
  • chastitywhite
    chastitywhite Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    vca1993 wrote: »
    Thank you guys so much ❤ I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out. So if any of you want to friend me as well that would be awesome! I'm excited to try everything you all suggested hopefully I wont kill myself in the process of trying them all 😂🤣
    Hey everyone!

So like all of you, I work. Some days 8am to 4:00pm and other days I work from 1:30pm till 10:00pm. On my early nights home, I'll usually have time to take the dog for a long walk around the block before dinner time and on the other days, I run around the house trying to clean, put away crap and all the other fun house stuff. I'm looking for some simple things that I can do so I can loose some tummy gain upper body strengh. I do have a desk job so I'm really looking to start off small and gain from there.

• chastitywhite
    chastitywhite Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Planks!!! I do all of my workouts at home using workouts from YouTube. I do a lot of Tabata, HIIT workouts, tae bo. I have 3 kids and so of course my tummy was not in good shape but planks gave me abs. Many people told me I couldn’t tighten the loose skin but I absolutely did. So for tummy and upper body strength I highly recommend planks in general and also plank exercises that will focus on the abs/obliques. You can YouTube/google those. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    @vca1993, If you're at work, and the weather permits, you can take a walk at meal time. A 1/2 mile can be achieved in 15 minutes. Carry a couple of 2 - 3 pound dumbbells and pump your arms at the same time. If there are elevators where you go, don't use them. Climb a few flights of stairs. Get some 2 or 3 pound ankle weights and wear them in you travels. Be creative.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I love, I mean love, Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym video programs. There are a Volume 1 and Volume 2, with each set having a beginner, intermediate, and advanced three-days-a-week program.

I used to do free weight training, but when I started jiu jitsu my body couldn't handle both. I also have Lauren's book Body by You and I was originally going to start there, but then I decided I wanted something more structured since I had never done bodyweight exercises. I no longer do jiu jitsu because I don't have the time, but I have kept up the bodyweight training and I am on the advanced level of Volume 2. My increased strength is fantastic, especially my core and arm strength.

One thing I will say is that I think with anything a person needs to have patience with themselves. Even though I had been doing some sort of exercise for some time before starting Volume 1, I was dying at the beginning! I was experienced enough to be comfortable modifying or outright stopping if I had to, knowing that I would work up to it. If I could only do half the sets, so be it. I also know that men naturally have more upper body strength than women, and I knew that I would not be able to do some of the moves Lauren had in Volume 1 because I did not have the upper body strength at the time. Now, if I went back, I think I might be able to do them (It's been a long time, I only vaguely remember those moves), but might also be limited in sets. Those moves were few, though, and I still enjoyed the program and completed it.

I think it's really important to accept that fitness takes time to build up. I think a lot of people give up because it seems so difficult and they can't finish. That's to be expected if your fitness level needs improving and the only way to do that is to keep going! Be okay with modifying if you have to, whether that means fewer reps, less time or altering a movement.

I also second taking at least a short walk during break or lunch if you can, just to get movement in here and there. I always try to get at minimum a 10-15 minute walk during lunch. It's helpful for me not just because of the movement, but to get some fresh air and clear my head.
  • vca1993
    Options
    corrarjo wrote: »
    @vca1993, If you're at work, and the weather permits, you can take a walk at meal time. A 1/2 mile can be achieved in 15 minutes. Carry a couple of 2 - 3 pound dumbbells and pump your arms at the same time. If there are elevators where you go, don't use them. Climb a few flights of stairs. Get some 2 or 3 pound ankle weights and wear them in you travels. Be creative.

I only get a half hour for lunch. So I rarely ever take it so I leave early and walk down to my husbands truck. But I'll take the long way around the building and down the road. I never thought about the weights though! Usually I just have my purse and my lunch box in hand so I can throw it at someone who tries to hit me lol! 🤣😂
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    corrarjo wrote: »

I only get a half hour for lunch. So I rarely ever take it so I leave early and walk down to my husbands truck. But I'll take the long way around the building and down the road. I never thought about the weights though! Usually I just have my purse and my lunch box in hand so I can throw it at someone who tries to hit me lol! 🤣😂

Little things add up. I go to the furthest restroom in the building - every time. It all counts. Years ago when I got a step counter through work, it was hard imagine ever getting to 7000 steps - which was kind of an original goal. This was before I made the connection between calories/deficits and expectations.

Now it's hard to imagine not getting 10,000 plus steps every normal day. I work on an industrial campus. I walk to meetings whenever I can. Nobody even offers rides to me anymore because they know I'll go on foot (unless there's time/distance restriction I can't meet).

If I have an open lunch time, I'll walk the perimeter of our north campus. It's close to 4 miles. Then I'll knock out lunch at my desk in 10-15 minutes.

There are lots of opportunities out there and many that don't require you to be in a gym. (Of course the gym is great too)