? for Breastfeeding moms

Options
I am 7 months into my year long journey. I’ve lost a significant amount of weight by developing better eating habits, introducing at-home workouts and daily intermittent fasting. My current plan recommends a 1200 calorie a day diet, which I usually hit between 1000-1200 of since I only eat twice a day. My baby is 8 months old and I exclusively pump every 3-4 hours, and plan to for 4 more months. My question is, do you log/factor in breastfeeding or pumping? I have been told that I’m not eating enough to support my milk supply.

Any help or insight is appreciated!

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should account for breastfeeding. You can log it under exercise. Since you exclusively pump, you have the advantage of knowing just how many ounces you are producing. Breast milk account for ~20 calories per ounce of breast milk. So, lets say you are pumping 20 ounces a day. That is an extra 400 calories you are burning. If you truly are eating only 1000-1200 calories per day, it does sound like you are not eating enough to nourish your body. However, if you have been able to feel content eating that few calories, it is possible you are eating more than you think if you are not using a food scale and logging accurately.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating at that level and how has your milk supply been affected? That should help you determine if something needs to change. But no, I would not think that 1000-1200 would be anywhere near enough to support a lactating mother if you are accurately logging. If you are more estimating, then go by how quickly your are losing weight and if your mild supply is diminishing.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    1000-1200 calories is not enough for most non-breastfeeding women unless you are really short. I find it very hard to believe that is enough for breastfeeding and am very surprised you still have any supply. Many breastfeeding moms on here set their goal to maintenance and let breastfeeding create the deficit.
  • devinneleigh
    devinneleigh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have an almost 1 year old that I'm breastfeeding, and I've been eating about 1000-1200 calories for almost 6 months now. I'm not pumping so I don't know how many ounces she's getting, but she's gaining weight, and in the 97th percentile.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    My current plan recommends a 1200 calorie a day diet, which I usually hit between 1000-1200 of since I only eat twice a day. My baby is 8 months old and I exclusively pump every 3-4 hours, and plan to for 4 more months. My question is, do you log/factor in breastfeeding or pumping? I have been told that I’m not eating enough to support my milk supply.
    I have an almost 1 year old that I'm breastfeeding, and I've been eating about 1000-1200 calories for almost 6 months now. I'm not pumping so I don't know how many ounces she's getting, but she's gaining weight, and in the 97th percentile.

Think of it this way. Your body is a machine that has a certain level of fuel (calories) and fuel additives(nutrients) it needs to keep it functioning properly, keep all the gears and computer parts and such working.

And now your machine has added on a new part: breastfeeding.

And the breastfeeding part requires it's OWN fuel supply and its OWN fuel additives. And the way your body works, it has prioritized your new part over your body, unless it endangers your life, and THEN breastfeeding will just stop because the machine can't support that part anymore. This is good when there is a famine, or the mom isn't getting enough nutrients, because the breastmilk composition will remain fairly stable unless things get life threatening.

But it also means that essentially, natalierobite, your breastmilk is getting about 500 calories, and YOU are getting about 500-700 calories daily. Devinneleigh, with your itty bitty likely eating food some, your breastmilk is probably getting about 300 calories and you're getting around 700-900 daily.

While I don't have the details, you're going to find a similar split for nutrients for the breastfeeding vs. you, too, both macro and micro nutrients. And while eating these few calories, and the resulting lower levels of nutrients too, CAN support breastfeeding, that's only because your body's machine is prioritizing breastfeeding over YOU. Which means that your body - your organs, brain, immune system, bones, all of it - are going to be suffering a lack of nutrients and calories as a result.

So while low calories can work for your breastfeeding and the baby, it's not healthy for YOU, I'm afraid.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I ate at (normal weight) maintence calories + 300 calorie estimation for breastfeeding at 7 months.

I lost all baby weight by 9 months post partum with both kids (and successfully continued to breastfeed both kids to 13-14 months). I actually lost an extra 10lbs by weaning with my first child b/c the 300 calorie estimation was too low (he was a chunky baby).
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I ate at maintenance + 200 kcal while breastfeeding (6 months) and lost all my pregnancy weight by that..I probably walked around 12000-15000 steps a day at that time
  • hybridangel
    hybridangel Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi do you know you can add exclusive breadt feeding in the meal logging and its +ebf not - ebf and that will add the 500 calaries to your daily allowence. You will still loose weifht but it then means you are accounting for the calories you need to replace.
  • susanpiper57
    susanpiper57 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi, my guy is 7 months as well, and he's on exclusive breast milk plus a puree twice a day. I don't log the breastfeeding, but I also do not always hit my deficit. I'm still losing weight, with 10 pounds to go at 7 months postpartum. Everyone is different, but my plan has me at 1490, and I usually eat around 1800 or else I'm starving. I run a few times a week and get 12000-15000 steps on average daily. Again, everyone is different, but my supply dips if I go under 1600 calories, and I'm always ravenous and usually eat more.

Have you hit your pre-pregnancy weight yet?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I definitely factored in breastfeeding, even when my child was over two years old. For the first 6-8 months I ate at maintenance (for me that was around 2800) and I lost pretty easily.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I know this one from the other side.

When I was breast feeding I could eat like a horse - and developed a lovely daily cake habit. I still lost weight

When I stopped breast feeding - I still had the daily cake. I put on weight.

So about 500 cals a day I reckon..,,
  • Kfrase83
    Kfrase83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @shaumom - yes, you are right on the nose! After the 6 month mark, baby is likely eating more and more food, therefore taking less breastmilk. I know by the time I returned to work when mine was 1 year old, we were only feeding at 'Bed' and 'Breakfast'.
    Our bodies do amazing things. I love your explanation!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I have to eat at least 1300 calories and my 21 month old feeds just once a day
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm short. I'm only 5'0". I lost weight while breastfeeding at 2400 calories. 2400. I then reduced it I got closer to my goal at 2100, then down to 1900. At my least I ate 1650 on non-workout days and 1900 on workout days, and that is as low as I was willing to go, breastfeeding. I lost 35lbs in 6 (or was it 7?) months. That is a huge rate of loss.

I personally would never eat 1200 (or LESS THAN 1200), even at 5'0", even if I wasn't breastfeeding. 1500 is the lowest I'd go.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm still breastfeeding (a toddler) multiple times a day. I'm very slowly losing the last 5lbs at 2100 calories.