Cravings....where'd they come from?

Options
I'm a salt kinda girl! I'll pick a bag of chips over a candy bar almost everytime, but once I start watching what I eat I crave sweets like crazy!!! I love haagen-daz raspberry sorbert which I know is a-okay.... but why does this happen?

Replies

• bzworld21
    Options
    Hello! i dont know why it happens, but the same thing happens to me...... Seriously, lately i have been craving sweets and its driving me nuts. today was definately a frusterating day and I just ate and ate for no reason.........:ohwell:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I still get both but a LOT of my cravings are salty. Hummus is great for curbing that craving... also anything savory is like heaven to me so I season everything I cook with herbs to give it a more rich taste.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Sugar begats sugar....a vicious cycle. I rarely eat sweets and never crave them. Chocolate will sit in my cupboards for months until I give it away or toss it.

For some very good information on sugar, watch, "Sugar - the Bitter Truth" on Youtube. It's a lecture and extremely fascinating. Though I hardly eat sweets, I am now really watching added dietary sugars...they are everywhere, particularly in processed food.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    DITTO! I had THREE granola bars and a cookie today!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of how much I miss salt n vinegar chips...also chocolate ice cream. Not together though lol :laugh: :laugh:
  • Dolphingirlie81
    Options
    I don't have much of a sweet tooth, I will eat something sweet once in awhile. But everytime I do eat something sweet I need something salty! It's weird! My mom told me she has never say that before. Maybe it's just me..
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth and sometimes I want sweet and salty together. What I do is to drink a glass of water. I read that we get a lot of cravings because we need hydration. Wait 20 minutes after the water, if the craving is still there, have a small amount of what you are craving. Do not sit down with a bag of chips... remove a portion from the bag, put it in a bowl and sit down to eat it. Keep tempting food out of sight and out of reach. I have to have chocolate sometimes. It is in a cabinet, up high. I don't have to get a ladder to get it down, but I do have to reach as far as my body will allow. I grab 2 sometimes 3 pieces and walk away from it. When it's done, I drink more water or brush my teeth to get the taste out of my mouth. This stops me from going back for more. Don't deprive yourself, but don't over do it either. I'm too tired to try to make sense so I'm going to bed. Goodnight and Good luck to you. (o:
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It;s your body telling you it's lacking in something. There are simple alternatives... This might help: http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    we were just talking about this very thing...

anyone heard about pickles busting sweet cravings???

anyone tried this???

lol seems backwards!!!
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Sugar begats sugar....a vicious cycle. I rarely eat sweets and never crave them. Chocolate will sit in my cupboards for months until I give it away or toss it.

For some very good information on sugar, watch, "Sugar - the Bitter Truth" on Youtube. It's a lecture and extremely fascinating. Though I hardly eat sweets, I am now really watching added dietary sugars...they are everywhere, particularly in processed food.

I just watched that yesterday, and now I definitely check sugar content just as often as calories. O.O Really educational, though.