toppings

Options
Could anyone give me ideas for dressings for salads(low cho}, dips for veggies, substitutes for butter, etc,,,,,,tyvm

Replies

• rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    For salads I like balsamic vinegar and a little salt and pepper. You can get all kinds of yummy flavors, and you don't need to add oil to make it taste good. Right now I have a citrus one that's really good. Also, if you want something creamy, try Kefir fat free yogurt.

For raw veggies, try tzatziki instead of ranch dressing. It's way low in calories and has a fresh cucumber/yogurt taste.

For crackers or as a substitute for mayo or cheese on sandwiches, I love my Laughing Cow Lights - 35 calories a piece!
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    I'm a big fan of olive oil and lemon juice, which is not low cal but is good fat, Litehouse sesame ginger dressing, (ridiculously low cal) and replacing sour cream anything with plain greek yogurt.
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    Here's a salad dressing posted in another message board topic that sounded SO good. Haven't tried it yet!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279406-17-calorie-delicious-salad-dressing
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    sub for butter: i can't believe it's not butter light (45 cals for 1 tbsp and all natural) or avocado. for dressing, olive oil... or you could mix up a little honey, water & mustard for a very low calorie dressing. you could also try mixing different things with olive oil. ground up fruits?
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    I like just a little lime or lemon juice on my salads. And I eat some hummus with my raw veggies.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    In addition to the suggestions here - hummus is great dip for veggies. I love the Litehouse Blueberry Pommegranate dressing (sold in the produce section - refrigerated - not on a shelf). I also use plain greek yogurt as sour cream and vanilla greek yogurt (non-fat) as a dip for fruit. The Laughing cow lite cheese wedges are great as a flatbread or sandwich spread - there are thousands of things to do with this soft cheese. Good luck!
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    for a delicious protein filled no fat low calorie dip for veggies...

combine 6 oz of Fage 0% Total Fat Free Greek Yogurt with 1.5 to 2 tsp of Hidden Valley Ranch powder (the kind you mix with mayo and mild for dressing or mayo & sour cream for dip)....

mix it up and voila... so freakin tasty and good for you!
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I use Salsa on my salad! I love it. So Yummy. though balsamic is great.
    I don't use butter at all. I use greek yogurt in place of Sour cream.
    in Fact when I make my Boyfriends Mac and Cheese. I use Greek Yogurt in place of the Milk and margarine and he cant tell a difference. Though I also add dijon mustard...
  • zukekitty
    zukekitty Posts: 185
    Options
    Lime juice is good on a salad too.
  • Tess12513
    Options
    I use Salsa on my salad! I love it. So Yummy. though balsamic is great.
    I don't use butter at all. I use greek yogurt in place of Sour cream.
    in Fact when I make my Boyfriends Mac and Cheese. I use Greek Yogurt in place of the Milk and margarine and he cant tell a difference. Though I also add dijon mustard...

This sounds fabulous! Do you happen to have a recipe?
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Flavoured vinegars - there are so many different flavours, they've very low cal and make delicious dressings! Mix with some mustard, some black pepper and a little olive oil for a french style vinaigrette
  • muffinmansmom
    Options
    thanks you all for the great ideas!
  • jellycar
    jellycar Posts: 40
    Options
    You could try red wine vinegar too instead if balsamic - it doesn't have any calories and the flavor is a little less strong (I think anyway)

I also like to mix up lime juice, seasoned rice vinegar, and hot sauce to make kind of a spicy dressing.
    For the most part, vinaigrette based dressings - like an Italian will be a better choice than a creamy one like ranch.
    Kraft's fat free Italian only has 15 calories for 2 tbs.

Good luck!!

Also - I agree with many people here, greek yogurt is FABULOUS! You can mix it up with Spenda or Truvia to make it a little less tart and it's real yummy with a bit of peanut butter :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I just bought Wishbone Mediterrean Italian dressing..it's like 60 calories for 2 tbsp and it's refreshing. I also use avocado on everything!