Low resting heart rate

Options
Hi all - I've been losing for close to 2 years now with my goal weight in sight. I've really picked up my exercise lately to help make the final push (have about 10 pounds to go). I've noticed in the past, my heart rate will go from resting BPM of around 65-70 to around 58 or so when I've been consistent with my workouts. I've been pushing hard lately, working out 2 times a day some days (really trying to decrease my running pace, though never more than like 60 minutes a day, sometimes just split up between a morning and evening workout). My resting heart rate is now around 54. I emailed my doctor just to be safe and she said she thought it was fine and just due to working out a lot. I feel fine and my heart race increases appropriately with exercise. Has anyone else noticed a big decrease when their workouts have picked up?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    That wouldn’t be an unusual RHR for many active people. I’m a runner and mine is usually around 45-55. If your doctor isn’t worried, then it’s likely fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It's normal...that's why most athletes have a lower than average RHR
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Your resting heart rate will decrease as you become more fit. It's not uncommon for athletes to have RHRs in the 30s. It's a good thing to track because if you notice it begin to spike (trend consistently higher, not just one or two days), it's a good indication that your are over training and could use a rest. Keep up the great work!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    It's an absolutely standard effect, and one sign that your cardiovascular training efforts are working. Your heart is stronger, so it works less to get the same result - same effect you see in other parts of your body.

My resting rate's been as low as mid-40s at times. When I had cataract surgery (I'm old, 63), I kept setting off the low heart rate alarm in the prep area (even before any sedation). It was set to alarm at 50. I finally resorted to waving my arms and legs in the air right there on the gurney, to keep the stupid thing from yeeping at us. My surgeon assured me I had "fitness induced bradycardia" and that that was a good thing.

Wiki has an informative article about heart adaptations (they're talking about the extreme ones, but you'll get the idea - same general stuff happens on a smaller scale to us recreational athletes):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_heart_syndrome

Congrats on your great progress!
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yes, as others have said above, totally normal. My RHR resides in the mid to upper 40s. My initial RHR was closer to the 60s when I decided to start consistently running. I saw a significant drop over the course of a year's time...a little less. :smile:
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Really normal. A lot of patients I see (RN) who are runners commonly have RHR in the low 50s, some even in the 40s
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I run a lot. My RHR is usually in the upper 40's.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    OP, as others have said, it sounds like you're in a normal healthy range.

My RHR is fairly low, but my doctor has a sense of humor about it. Last time I saw him, he said that whenever he takes my pulse, he's tempted to adopt a "very concerned" look and then yell for the nurse to get the paddles, just to see my reaction. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Mine was around 60-65bpm when I was chubby and just fairly fit.
    Dropped to 48bpm when I lost my excess weight and got much fitter.

Here's the simple and commonsense advice from the NHS.....
    Most adults have a resting heart rate between 60 and 100bpm.

The fitter you are, the lower your resting heart rate is likely to be. For example, athletes may have a resting heart rate of 40 to 60bpm, or lower.

See a GP to get checked if you think your heart rate is continuously above 120bpm or below 40bpm, although it may simply be that this is normal for you
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    When I get my physical each year they always put that little sensor on my finger to measure my pulse. I found out that when the machine detects a pulse under 50 it sets off alarms. So now my favorite thing to do when I'm in the office is set that stupid alarm off. One of these times when I do this I may grab my heart (or maybe not, don't want to actually 'cause' a heart attack :D ).

FWIW - My 'normal' resting HR is around 44. Nothing to worry about.