Where is the motivation?

Options
SooZeeQ1
SooZeeQ1 Posts: 1 Member
Some how I cannot find the motivation to get back to the gym more than once a week 😩 it’s so frustrating.

Replies

• SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Motivation will come and go... But, you do it anyway. Make it a habit, do it. It helps to find something you love and actually look forward to. Maybe spruce up what you are doing or try something new. But, just keep pushing :smile:
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    jaimydude wrote: »
    'Not motivated' is one way to put it. In other words, you just don't want to go. It's too much work maybe? Uncomfortable? Just do it anyway. Motivation is a luxury most can't afford.

Nah, that will not work when you lack a fundamental goal. Wanting to skip a workout is one thing, not wanting to go is another. My advise, sit down somewhere quiet and write down all the things you want to accomplish. Then get it done. maybe traditional training is not for you. maybe you are a Zumba type of person, or pilates. If you truly want to get in shape, you will figure it out.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Plus, when you do not know someone, do not assume things like they are lazy, thats rude ans short sighted.
  • MahShield21
    MahShield21 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    No need to hit gym everyday...There are lot of other interesting way of doing it, find out what you like most to do in between like dance class, hill climbing, swimming...even this will develop your interest for gym on alternate days..even try if you can do it at home
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    SooZeeQ1 wrote: »
    Some how I cannot find the motivation to get back to the gym more than once a week 😩 it’s so frustrating.

Fitness is not always about going to the gym. It's finding the right exercise that you want to do. Nobody wants to workout doing something they don't enjoy. I mean...sometimes it feels unenjoyable, but that's because we're pushing ourselves to become better...so it seems like torture lol.

Anyways, find an activity you like, if going to the gym is not a good idea of a workout.

RE: Motivation - the new fitness excitement will only last so long and will wear eventually. It's more about commitment and dedication of wanting to continue to improve your fitness level that will get you out and going day in and day out. But at the end of the day, only you can decide what that is.

Good luck! :smile:

Edit: Typo
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I agree with Charlie, it sounds like the gym just isn't your thing. That's okay, there are tons of other ways to get exercise. Walking at the park or around the block, taking dance classes, taking yoga classes... If you have a YMCA nearby, they offer a wide variety of fitness classes. Swimming might be a good option. When you find something you really like, the motivation will find you. Suddenly, you'll enjoy going and it won't feel like a chore. I for one enjoy the gym but it's not everyone's thing and that's okay. You will find something you enjoy doing if you keep searching for it. Best of luck to you.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My motivation always seemed to dwindle once the novelty of the new "plan" wore off. Making a decision and sticking with it changed everything though.

Lots of good suggestions in the thread. Try them out and make the decision to stick with it for a pre-determined period of time. Myself...I always switch up and/or add something new just because I get bored easily.

And remember, fitness is similar to losing weight in that it's a long haul journey, not a one destination stop. Keep trying.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @ RunnerGrl1982 - RE: Motivation - the new fitness excitement will only last so long and will wear eventually. It's more about commitment and dedication of wanting to continue to improve your fitness level that will get you out and going day in and day out. But at the end of the day, only you can decide what that is.

Yes - you've said it perfectly!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What do you like to do? What don't you like to do? There are a lot of ways to get exercise that don't involve the gym. Sure, sometimes you can "mind over matter" it, and push yourself when you don't feel like going. But a lot of times it's better to find something, at least in the beginning, that you actually enjoy to do and use that to build a base.

I'll give you my personal example. I was struggling to get back with exercising for a while. I have a hard time self motivating and self instructing. So when I just had a membership to a regular gym, I rarely would ever go. That changed when I decided to join a martial arts gym (krav maga). There I had a set scheduled to go. I had one time to make it, and that helped me. No "well just 30 minutes more and I'll go" that never came. I had an instructor who came up with the exercises and pushed me to complete them. Classmates that I was accountable to. I started going only once a week, because that was all I could bring myself to do. Then it went up to 2, then 3, and now 6 months after I started, I am regularly training there 4 of the 5 week days. On top of that, I am working out by myself 1 or both of the days on the weekend, either at the traditional "gym" or doing something outside. Because I built the base in something that inspired me, now it is easier for me to self motivate to go to the normal old gym even when I don't feel like it. My Krav Maga gym was closed for a week recently for holidays, and for 5 days straight I was working out by myself. Either in the gym, outside, at home, etc. I would have never been able to do that before. The more you can build a foundation, the easier it all becomes.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You don't find motivation, you create it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    SooZeeQ1 wrote: »

What are you actually trying to achieve here? Weight loss? Fitness? Better physical appearance? Health?

If it's weight loss, exercise is optional. (It's still a good idea for various reasons, but it's optional.) Weight loss is all about how many calories you eat, as compared with how many you burn. How many calories you burn is not just in exercise, but also in daily life, which is what makes exercise strictly optional. To lose weight, you just have to eat less than you burn in daily life, without exercise. Thing is, if you want to eat more than that amount, and still lose weight at the same rate, you have to exercise. "To eat more" would be one exercise motivation.

Things are a little less clear to explain for other goals. But no matter which of those it is, the goal you're trying to achieve is the motivation: If you want to be more fit, you'll do the fun cardiovascular exercise and some weight training because you want to get fit; if you want to look better, you'll do pretty structured weight training and some cardio in order to look toned and have a glowing complexion; if you want to be healthy, you'll combine the cardio/strength fitness goal with a nutritious diet in order to be healthy.

In each case in the previous paragraph, the italicized thing is your motivation. Then you make a plan to take you in that direction, and establish habits to carry out the plan regularly. (Do you need "motivation" every time you brush your teeth or take a shower? No . . . because it's a habit.).

If you're serious about achieving those goals, you'll do the things to accomplish the goals.

If you decide you don't want to do the things in your plan, or you don't want to make the plan, that's fine, too. It means you didn't really want to achieve those particular goals (maybe you really wanted some other goals, like spending time with friends, or schoolwork, or something). That's OK, too.

It's all about your choices.

The only thing that doesn't really make sense is if you tell yourself "I want to be fit" (or whatever) but you don't make the plan or establish the habits, but you still feel bad about it. That's kind of shooting yourself in the foot. It's still a choice, but . . . ;) .

Best wishes!
  • BMsJourney
    BMsJourney Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    jaimydude wrote: »
    I've always believed determination > motivation.

^This

Determination is doing what needs to be done, even when you feel like not doing it.

Although, as others write above, it might be worth considering if there's a different path than "traditional gym workouts" to travel...

Best of luck!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    "I'm not motivated" to me translates to "I'm not doing the right thing for me".

Motivation will only get you so far and as many notice and post here it's pretty fleeting. So, you need to find some way to achieve what you want that doesn't require motivation.

As for going to the gym. It's not something I enjoy so I rarely stick with it for more than a few months at most. In fact most workouts I get tired off after a while (I'll blame it on my ADHD =)).

My solution to staying active and getting healthier is to have a variety of different activities to chose from.
    I own a bicycle
    I have a home gym
    I have swimming goggles, cap, swimmers, etc
    I have running shoes
    I have a local park with calisthenic equipment (bars, etc)

So I use them all. At any point I definitely feel like doing at least 1 of those activities so I'm always looking forward to enjoying myself while getting healthy.

It's all about making your workouts or routine suit you rather than trying to make you fit into some workout or routine.

Find something you love to do and do that even if it's not the most super-duper maxy wizz bang greatest. Consistently doing a 6/10 activity that you love long term is worlds better than an optimised 10/10 activity that you only do half the time and give up after a few weeks.
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @SooZeeQ1 "To eat more" would be one exercise motivation.

Food as a reward is what got me here. I'm struggling to 'get to the gym' myself. I'm starting to find it enjoyable once I get there. I'll admit most days I have to 'force' myself to go. I can always find an excuse not to. But I think it's a worthwhile investment.

You're talking about the gym, so I imagine you have a membership. May as well take advantage of it. It took a year before I finally went. If you want to exercise, no matter if it's cardio, lifting, walking, bowling, biking, swimming, or shopping, it's going to take an investment of time and energy. Find something you like to do and go do it. What ever you do, it should help take off the fat, if that's your goal.

If you go to the gym, a well rounded exercise routine, performed once a week for 2 hours is satisfactory. Do it in one visit, or several visits in one day. Warm up on the treadmill, cycle, or stepper, for 1/2 hour (boring), then move into the weights. Mix it up to keep it interesting. Lifting light should result in tone and definition. Lifting heavy will develop strength and size. I read it on the InterWeb, so it must be true. If you have a premium membership, you may be able to get some tanning time in!

My 2¢
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i hate going to the gym. so - i don't go. i exercise in other ways.

having said that i may be trying it for a few months to try stationary bike...but it will be short term.
  • RachelM2130
    RachelM2130 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I’m lacking motivation big time this year. Last year I lost stone and I feel I’ve put it back on because I’ve no motivation. My motivation for last year was I had two holidays and I wanted to feel comfortable and confident in my bikini 👙