Weighing in many times daily......driving me batty

Options
I keep a scale in the bathroom and, since I drink a lot of liquids, find myself there many times each day. And every time I go in, I weight myself (about 10 times daily). I want to stop, but have not had much luck. Other people live with me, and if I remove the scale and place it far away, and give them an explanation why, they bring it right back, or bring in the scale from their own bathroom. They *can* weigh themselves in their own bathroom, but......

What ought I do about doing so many weigh-ins? I think it's not very helpful to my diet to do that many!

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Well, my advice would be to just stop. Pretty simple if ya ask me. You obviously have the willpower to change your lifestyle, so have the willpower to stay off the scale.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I weight in once a week. Try when you first get out of bed, before eating and after the bathroom. You are going to drive yourself crazy if you keep weighing in several times a day.
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    get rid of the scale and buy a cloth tape measure and take measurements!!!!

i hate scales and do no own one because they lie and that seems to be really irrelevent for me...i have dropped atleast 1 whole pant size in 75 days and am well on my way to 2... i went from a 10-8 and am almost ready for 6's...so...ditch the damn scale!!!!
  • melissa_leah
    Options
    It's a lot more fun doing it once a week because on your weigh in day, you are excited to see your progress!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    STOP IT.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You should only weight yourself once a day. Preferably first thing in the morning after you wake up, after "taking care of business" and naked. (To get your true wight) Pick one day to be your official weigh in day and record your weight only on that day.

One thing to keep in mind is that your weight will fluctuate though out the day and weighing yourself that many times will only make you discouraged.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It's a lot more fun doing it once a week because on your weigh in day, you are excited to see your progress!

So true.

If you must look at it more often try limited yourself to 2 times a day. When you wake up and when you go to sleep. Then slowly tamper off to less and less.

Yet, it is always exciting at the end of the week to see all the hard work pay off.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I do it 3 times -- morning after i use the bathroom, 2nd when i put some clothes on and go on the wii balance board (this is the weight i make official), then before I go to bed (sometimes). I dont drive myself crazy though. I found that if I don't check my weight for a few days, I lose my focus.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    (reposted for reason removed)
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    just weigh yourself every morning and every night. there's no sense in checking weight throughout the day. it will fluctuate too much. I weigh myself just before going to bed and first thing in the morning to see the difference. I also just pay attention to the effect my eating the day before has on my weight.

Weighing in has a purpose.
  • laumar3012
    Options
    i dont even weigh myself once a week, you are gonna drive yourself nuts! your weight fluctuates throughout the day. as someone else said, once a week, in the morning after you go to the bathroom before you eat, good luck!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    You should stick to morning weigh ins. Otherwise you will dissapoint yourself as you WILL gain a lb or two from eating... :P
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I have been obssessive about weighing in every day and its been driving me crazy, too. I've decided to weigh in only twice a week, starting tomorrow. I'm hoping if I can get through one day, then I can recreate that and do it again. Join me in taking back our power over this object!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself frequently you should be totally prepared for the fluctuations. Like another poster above, I weight myself daily because it helps me maintain focus. BUT, I know that my weight fluctuates as much as five pounds through the week, so I pick one day and make that the day I record my weight - up down or the same. If you can't deal with the fluctuations that are based on about a million variables, you shouldn't weigh in more than once a week.
  • salmanajmal
    salmanajmal Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do it 3 times -- morning after i use the bathroom, 2nd when i put some clothes on and go on the wii balance board (this is the weight i make official), then before I go to bed (sometimes). I dont drive myself crazy though. I found that if I don't check my weight for a few days, I lose my focus.

well i check it every now and then. your weight fluctuates by almost 2 kgs (7lbs) in a day but you don need to be worried about it. record your weight on weekly or bi weekly basis. checking my weight frequently keeps me motivated.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Put the scale in the refrigerator. :) Seriously, this is NORMAL. After I lost 15 lbs I seemed to stop obsessing. Once a week is ok now, and I also know my weight goes up and down in a week, and I get one week a month that is just for water retention. Don't let it make you feel crazy.
  • Cdowens1216
    Options
    OMG we are the same, i weigh myself multiple times a day, so today i got tired of being disappointed and stored my scale in my closet lol... The scale can be helpful and motivate you, but as soon as you see you gain point something or a pound then it is very discouraging.. So i made a pack to myself by not getting on the scale for two weeks. At this time i will keep dieting and exercising like i regularly do, and hopefully i will be over my plateau stage ugh. Good Luck :)
    6716225.png
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You should only weight yourself once a day. Preferably first thing in the morning after you wake up, after "taking care of business" and naked. (To get your true wight) Pick one day to be your official weigh in day and record your weight only on that day.

One thing to keep in mind is that your weight will fluctuate though out the day and weighing yourself that many times will only make you discouraged.
    '
    I second Country Devil. I usually weigh myself every other day. That works for me. But several times a day... just say NO honey. Are we aloud to post videos or links to videos on here? I just thought of the perfect video for you. Google Mad TV Just Stop It. It's a Bob Newhart skit. Good luck to you. :)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Only weigh yourself when performing a hand stand on the scale. Trust me, you'll cut back the frequency.