Experimenting with increasing calories to lose

Options
lisaandryan
lisaandryan Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2019 in Introduce Yourself
I've joined MFP after 10kg loss from WW following the birth of my son. 2kgs out from goal, I've hit the dreaded plateau....going on 3 months now. After a bit of investigation I'm curious to see if I'm playing a losing game of less Cal's in, more energy out...now I could be in unsustainable starvation mode (under 1200 & working out daily) absolute terror at thought of increasing calories!!( Previous eating disorder and unhealthy fixation on scales) BUT it's madness too expect results from doing the same thing. Which brings me here. Finally took my measurements as a new way to log progress, and being brave by embracing the need to eat extra 150 Cal's a day, even if it shows initial gain, it's worth getting out of this low calorie, stressful, depressing rut. I won't lose weight at the same rate as I did, considering body doesn't need pregnancy fat anymore! But it's confusing/frustrating to be the girl severally restricting food and literally running up hills but not loosing 🤔 l'm commited to this change for the better.

Replies

• kcfit19
    kcfit19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I totally understand the fear. But I've recently started working with the coaches at my gym on nutrition, and it really is possible to lose weight with more food - it's actually better for you! It is normal to see some weight gain at the beginning, but that will turn back in the other direction as your metabolism kicks back in.

From what I've learned, everyone has a BMR (basal metabolic rate). This is the number of calories your body would burn if you were to do nothing but lay in a coma. This number changes every day. So say my BMR is around 1,380 cals (which is around what mine typically is). Why do I not starve when I eat under this? Because my body lowers my BMR that day. Do that consistently, and you are slowing down your metabolism. When you start giving your body more food and energy, you can start to work on increasing your metabolism again. I'm in the same boat right now and trying to raise mine back up!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Well, starvation mode doesn't exist, so you're safe there. How are you tracking your food?

And metabolism slows down as you get smaller. That's not a bug; it's a feature.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/metabolic-damage/
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    How long have you been tracking calories? Are you weighing all your food with a food scale? If you were actually eating 1200 calories and working out daily, you would be losing weight. Starvation mode isn't a thing, otherwise no one would die of hunger. It is most likely you are eating more calories than you think.

Check out this post for a lot of helpful information for using MFP.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It's possible you could increase calories and still lose.

If you aren't using a food scale, though, I'd do that first. I'd hate for you to start gaining weight because you weren't actually eating the amount of calories you thought you were.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • lisaandryan
    lisaandryan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, appreciate the response 😊 I'm weighing food and prepping ahead of time to avoid extra snacking! Decided not to eat back excersise calories (can be inaccurate) I'm allocated 1440 a day, so keeping it at 1300 just to ensure room for error. Keeping positive, as I've increase workout intensity since Xmas (circuts and interval training on treadmill to spike heart rate at 200) hopefully the .8kg stubborn gain is from this excersise? But without prior body measurements, I'm just going off clothes. I agree starvation mode is unlikely! But I feel so much healthier with 150 extra calories a day, and my workouts are improving so I'm hoping this will break the plateau.
  • WeightLosingBunny
    WeightLosingBunny Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Just going to chime in here and say that my body has typically been happier at 1300 to 1400 a day when dieting, it just feels overall better for me. But I do eat back half my exercise calories at the very least which is why I get up to that much, instead of sticking to a strict 1200. So eating a bit more might help you find a happy medium on your current plateau. Also clothes is how I judge my size too! If I fit my clothes perfectly, I feel my weight/size must be right!

ps. Congrats on your baby boy! :smiley: