Anyone lose on quetiapine(Seroquel)?

Options
I'm on 600mgs of quetiapine at bedtime. Has anyone lost weight on quetiapine (Seroquel)? I think it raises my appetite.

Replies

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,503 Member
    Options
    I was taking Seroquel at bedtime for many years. It definitely increased my appetite. It also caused me to have nighttime eating. I would wake up the next morning to find I had eaten lots of food and had no recollection. My doctor switched to a different medication due to the increased appetite and nighttime eating.
  • dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Wow, I don't seem to have the nighttime eating without knowing, but I have read about it. I would definitely have to switch if that was the case. I miss my latuda, I was getting it free from patient assistance and when I got insurance they dropped me. My insurance will not cover latuda until I get my deductible in which is $2500 :( so, the psychiatrist switched me to abilify which didn't work so well, and now.im on Seroquel and cymbalta from being in the hospital.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I put on 3.5 stone over the 3 months I was on it. I had nighttime eating also and I was so hungry all the dam time. My friend lost weight on i t but she didn't do it very healthy
  • mayavildo405
    mayavildo405 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Definitely increases your appetite 😏 I'm on Serequel XR and I find that I always crave sugary things? I'm going to try to combat it with diet and exercise but if that doesn't work I'm going to ask my doc for something else.
  • thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I found it increased my appetite a LOT when I had it, and so trying to stay in a deficit and lose was miserable. Maybe speak to your doctor about trying something else? I'm on amisulpride now, and that seems to be okay for weight things.
  • jenniferanderson3888
    jenniferanderson3888 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I gained 80 pounds on it
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was put on seroquel when I was in the hospital and within a month I had gained 20 lbs... I am on Latuda now and while it does increase my appetite I found I can keep things in check as long as I weigh and log my food. I can no longer eat intuitively on these medications so logging my food will be a lifetime task. It is definitely harder to lose weight on antipsychotics but not impossible! I am down 57 lbs in 14 months and have 18 more to get to my goal. If I can do it I am positive you can too :)
  • kithrobyn
    kithrobyn Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just came off of it after being on it for a year. It had gotten to the point where I was waking up screaming from nightmares at least once a week. The final straw was waking up after punching the bed several times while sleeping.

I gained 85 pounds in that year. I was not aware that it was linked to weight gain until a friend told me when I mentioned coming off of it and also being upset at how much weight I had gained. I started researching and found out it was linked to causing metabolic syndrome.