IBS - help, discussion, tips

Options
Thought a thread for ibs might be useful. I've recently been informed I likely have ibs. What are some tips or suggestions on how you've dealt with it, what works for you, certain foods that irritate (and how you discovered them) etc etc, just anything...

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I've had IBS for many years. I find in general, I don't have a ton of food triggers, except very high fiber foods (I recently tried some protein bars that had 12 grams of fiber each and they did not sit well). Stress and anxiety can also act as triggers for me. I find when I am active and exercising, during that time, my symptoms are usually reduced.

When I get bad attacks, I treat with some over the counter Imodium. It is pretty effective in reducing diarrhea/bowel movements. I will also take it preventative if I know I am going somewhere where I will not have access to a bathroom for a long period of time.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    My husband has diagnosed IBS. We started with allergy testing to rule out food allergies (which run in the family), and then he did the FODMAP protocol, which helped him narrow down most of his triggers. He's cut those things out for the most part, and that's helped. Since the beginning of the year he's also been taking RS (resistant starch), along with a probiotic and that's really helped as well. He now can go weeks without having a flare up, though if his routine gets messed up it takes a couple weeks to get back on track (he was out town for work a couple weeks ago, for a week, and that really messed him up, he's just starting to feel better sigh....).

My sister has also done FODMAP and it helped her as well (her triggers are completely different than my husbands). She also did it under a doctor's supervision, like my husband did.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I did a FODMAP protocol under a doctor's supervision to discover my triggers. Anxiety is also a trigger but usually doesn't bother me as long as I stay active.

I did have a food that was previously okay suddenly start bothering me, it took a while to zero in on it, but I figured that one out without going through the whole doctor/FODMAP thing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    How well are you managing stress? My mom's IBS kicks in when she is in high stress periods. Otherwise she manages it well with acacia powder and eating insoluble veggies after soluble.

She recommends this site: https://www.helpforibs.com
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend finding a list of your trigger foods, which usually involves doing an elimination diet of some kind (FODMAP, as a few folks mentioned, is a good starting one) and keeping a food journal. Once you have that, managing stress to help avoid stress triggers is another good way to do things.
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me last summer I had IBS but I felt it was food related. So far I have done enough elimination and food logging to figure out I'm intolerant to eggs, apples, and sugar. I eliminated all added sugar from my diet for a month and felt great. As soon as I added it back I was bloated and nauseous and just felt so run down.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Elimination diet. Gluten is my problem. TMI, but I used to vomit out both ends regularly before I eliminated gluten/wheat from my diet several years ago at a doctor's suggestion. ZERO bowel problems now. I don't miss it at all. It's not worth the pain, inflammation and nausea. Good luck. :)
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as a kid with IBS but as I've gotten older, i have been tested for food allergies. My biggest trigger is gluten. Totally goes away if i quit eating gluten.
  • Bubblemar
    Bubblemar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me last summer I had IBS but I felt it was food related. So far I have done enough elimination and food logging to figure out I'm intolerant to eggs, apples, and sugar. I eliminated all added sugar from my diet for a month and felt great. As soon as I added it back I was bloated and nauseous and just felt so run down.

Oh that's interesting. I do find that apples tend to cause discomfort too, which is a shame as I love them on top of oats and as snacks. With regards to sugar I actually tried going sugar free a few weeks back, and I did feel good, but then got ill and the only liquid I could manage to drink was sweetened tea :D . Should probably get back on that ahhaa. Did you carry on eating other fruits as I know some people say they avoid fruits when avoiding sugar.
  • Bubblemar
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How well are you managing stress? My mom's IBS kicks in when she is in high stress periods. Otherwise she manages it well with acacia powder and eating insoluble veggies after soluble.

She recommends this site: https://www.helpforibs.com

I'm a post grad student so lots of work and deadlines which probably doesn't help hahhaa. I try to exercise to relieve stress but currently have an injury stopping me from my favourite form of exercise, running. Oh I've never heard of acacia powder before, I'll have a read up on that.
  • Bubblemar
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    My husband has diagnosed IBS. We started with allergy testing to rule out food allergies (which run in the family), and then he did the FODMAP protocol, which helped him narrow down most of his triggers. He's cut those things out for the most part, and that's helped. Since the beginning of the year he's also been taking RS (resistant starch), along with a probiotic and that's really helped as well. He now can go weeks without having a flare up, though if his routine gets messed up it takes a couple weeks to get back on track (he was out town for work a couple weeks ago, for a week, and that really messed him up, he's just starting to feel better sigh....).

My sister has also done FODMAP and it helped her as well (her triggers are completely different than my husbands). She also did it under a doctor's supervision, like my husband did.

I never know what to look for in probiotics, they're a bit overwhelming to shop for, do you have any suggestions?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My husband suffers from IBS, a lowish carb and gluten free diet helps him
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Bubblemar wrote: »

I never know what to look for in probiotics, they're a bit overwhelming to shop for, do you have any suggestions?

My husband takes InnovixLabs Multi-strain probiotic. We chose it based on cost/reviews and have been pleased with it. You can get it on Amazon or online at Walmart (we get it shipped free to our local store).
  • dvess1
    dvess1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS-C last week after 4 months of tests ect and misery. The doctor gave me a three page Fodmap diet, some samples of AMITIZA and said he would see me in four months. WOW! I am finding lots of good resources online, as I begin my elimination diet. I had not used my fitness pal since 2014. I am back on it now so I can keep a good track of my daily nutrition. I look forward to receiving input from other people. I may find soon that I need to work with a nutritionist to help find my way through this. One of the things that soothed me the last four months was Keebler Club Crackers. Go figure!
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

I also have IBS with Const and really frustrated lately. Seems I’m stopped up more than usual despite lots of fiber and my meds ( I usually take 290 mcg Linzess) but currently battling Allergens prescription assistance program.

My gastro DR is huge on probiotics and says just buy a cheap OTC one 1-2 billion CPU is fine I buy the Kroger one 2 billion CPU and its $11-12

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options

Refrigerated is typically better. Liquid may be better too. The thing to remember is these are live cultures, so rules for living things apply. They need to consume something to live, and in dry pills there isn’t much to do that, so pro biotics are losing quantity of bacteria daily from the time they are made and tested. Except cold puts them into dormancy so the lack of food doesn’t impact them and liquid probiotics, also usually refrigerated, add the ‘food’ and so tend to not lose bacteria count as well.

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    My housemate and I have both been diagnosed with IBS with constipation. Neither of us have done elimination diets; our (separate) doctors do not feel it is necessary. My biggest triggers are changes in my daily routine, including dietary changes. I take Miralax every other day and try to get 64oz of liquid a day. My housemate takes Miralax everyday (he's more lax on the weekends) and he drinks 100oz of liquid daily. He has a med for cramps when they get intolerable. When he was first diagnosed, he was having incapacitating stomach cramps. His doctor gave him a week's worth of laxative suppositories to get regular elimination happening. That got him "cleaned out" and going regularly with the Miralax.

When things get really bad for me, I usually have to do a saline enema. This usually only happens when I'm on vacation (about once a year). Before I knew what IBS was, I could literally go a month without a BM. I'll never be a daily BM'er; every 2-3 days is my usual. Once a month or ever other month, I get the opposite problem (diarrhea). I try to just let it happen. If it doesn't clear up in a day or so, I take Pepto and then I'm back to constipated.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    All I know is that lately I have not been regular at all despite no change in anything. Frustrated.

I have had 30g of fiber today, at least 75oz of water, a 290mcg Linzess. 2 doses of Miralax, 2 Apriso, Tumeric, and a prio biotic and not a darn thing is happening.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @Bubblemar as you can read IBS impact and causes vary greatly from person to person.

In my case I lived with life defining IBS for 40 years. In looking for pain management in a rush back in Oct 2014 at the age of 63 cold turkey I cut out all foods containing added sugars and or any form of any grain. Pain management was well underway within the first 30 days so I still eat this way.

In the early spring of 2015 one day it hit me my 40 years of serious IBS had left. Four years later it still has not returned even one time.

Just this morning I read some research as to what may have happened in my case to resolve IBS and many other health issues and lead to my unexpected weight loss and weight maintenance.

Save yourself some reading time below by just reading the Summary Box at the end of each of the 9 sections first. If you find something that may apply to your personal health concerns then read the details.

Why the Gut Microbiome Is Crucial for Your Health
    https://healthline.com/nutrition/gut-microbiome-and-health

Note this a nine part link that is seamless if one keeps scrolling down.

It Affects Gut Health

The microbiome can also affect gut health and may play a role in intestinal diseases like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) (25, 26, 27)........

The Gut Microbiome May Affect Your Weight

There are thousands of different types of bacteria in your intestines, most of which benefit your health.

However, having too many unhealthy microbes can lead to disease.

An imbalance of healthy and unhealthy microbes is sometimes called gut dysbiosis, and it may contribute to weight gain (21).......

The Gut Microbiome May Benefit Heart Health
    Interestingly, the gut microbiome may even affect heart health (32).

A recent study in 1,500 people found that the gut microbiome played an important role in promoting "good" HDL cholesterol and triglycerides (33).

Certain unhealthy species in the gut microbiome may also contribute to heart disease by producing trimethylamine N-oxide (TMAO)......

Note the red meat/TMAO health risk in this section of the article.

The Bottom Line

Your gut microbiome is made up of trillions of bacteria, fungi and other microbes.

The gut microbiome plays a very important role in your health by helping control digestion and benefiting your immune system and many other aspects of health.

An imbalance of unhealthy and healthy microbes in the intestines may contribute to weight gain, high blood sugar, high cholesterol and other disorders.

To help support the growth of healthy microbes in your gut, eat a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fermented foods......

Best of success. Keep in mind we are all different and what we need to eat or not eat to gain better control over out different health concerns may be very different from person to person.

• jessicacummin
    jessicacummin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have IBS. I am currently eating low FODMAP only foods as advised by my doctor - you can get a free app to track FODMAPs. I also drink Huel as often as possible to maintain my weight. A trigger is stress / anxiety / period for me, I also find if I haven't eaten in a while (18hrs or so) my IBS symptoms are so much worse when I do eat. I avoid anything with sulphites in as that destroys my stomach!