Meal plan purchase

Options
Iragen
Iragen Posts: 61 Member
Morning all,

I'm working towards buckling down this year (better late than never).
Im 249lbs 28% body fat and Im 6ft tall.
I've always yo-yoed with my eating restriction and this year I joined a gym and was sold on the personal trainer (the guy was cool and the trainer is pretty supportive) but it seems like a more organized version of my old habit of workout a minimum of 4 days consistently while eating less than calories than I burn, life stuff happens and I fall of the horse and have to restart.

So Im thinking of a way to make a long term healthy habit and I am looking for advice on if and or when I should shop for one of these online bodybuilding nutrition experts. Not necessarily meal plans via delivery but these guys that you pay to talk to you about your goals, recommend a diet or eating plan and give specific pointers. Would this be something I consider AFTER I cut a chunk of weight and body fat or is anytime good?

Thanks!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    I taught myself. Everything you need is available online and through using your FOOD page as a learning tool.

I studied my FOOD page and learned which foods had the percentage of macros I needed to hit. Pre-logging a day's meals is really helpful. I now have a large number of meals I can rotate to hit my goals. The "Add Meal" function on the FOOD page here is really useful for me.

No way I would pay someone, but there are a lot of online nutrition "experts" that would be happy to take your money. Buyer beware! :)
  • Iragen
    Options
    I taught myself. Everything you need is available online and through using your FOOD page as a learning tool.

I studied my FOOD page and learned which foods had the percentage of macros I needed to hit. Pre-logging a day's meals is really helpful. I now have a large number of meals I can rotate to hit my goals. The "Add Meal" function on the FOOD page here is really useful for me.

No way I would pay someone, but there are a lot of online nutrition "experts" that would be happy to take your money. Buyer beware! :)

Appreciate the insight. This is something I wasn't sure if I was jumping the gun on since I know there are levels to where expert guidance is needed unless you want to spend the time borderline getting a certification in nutrition lol

I'll review my eating habits, which I know are already terrible and need a lot of work and try to explore how to eat the right macros to lower body fat, maintain satiety and help me continue building strength. :)
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Anyone can become a nutritionist and claim to be an expert, when in reality they have followed a 2 day marketing course for a particular brand of meal replacement shakes. Of course not all nutritionists are bad, but it's an unregulated industry. Like @cmriverside, I taught myself. If I don't know something I read up on it via different sources, so that I can make up my mind on something.

Find something that works for you; only you know your body. So set yourself a goal, and look at ways of achieving them. Look at your own diet and if you feel you are lacking in, for example, protein, maybe search for high protein foods (Google is your friend), and find a way to incorporate them. It's not as quick as being given a meal plan, but it is so much more beneficial long term to understand what you are eating and why, and how it benefits you. Plus, it's easier to tailor it to your own tastes and preferences, and adjust it whenever the *kitten* you like, which instantly makes it more sustainable than any meal plan anyone could ever give you.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It depends on your motivation. I pay for a nutrition coaching service. It makes me a lot more accountable to myself when I have to check in every week and send photos and measurements. Not everyone will find that motivating.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Iragen wrote: »

Appreciate the insight. This is something I wasn't sure if I was jumping the gun on since I know there are levels to where expert guidance is needed unless you want to spend the time borderline getting a certification in nutrition lol

I'll review my eating habits, which I know are already terrible and need a lot of work and try to explore how to eat the right macros to lower body fat, maintain satiety and help me continue building strength. :)

I would suggest that
    #1. Eat the food you like. Log it, look at it, see how the numbers work out. I try to split my calories fairly equally between two larger meals and a snack, but I'm an older woman and don't need as many calories as you will. Stay in your calories and study that food diary! No foods are really bad or off-limits, you just start making choices once you see the calories and that a chicken breast and three cookies are equal calorie-wise, but that chicken will help you feel full for hours and those cookies probably won't. Choices.

#2. Try to hit those protein goals in your diary. Protein is really important. Don't try to cut fat too much - fat doesn't make us fat and it's a necessary nutrient. Again, look at fat as a minimum goal to hit.

#3. Add a vegetable or fruit to every meal or snack. Find new vegetables you will eat. That's one way to stay fuller (fiber) and to get needed nutrients.

It's pretty easy, just takes some practice. Meat and a vegetable, just like you've heard all your life.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Also, based on your stats: Don't change too much right away. Do some cutting. Eat the things you normally eat but start logging them. Reduce portion sizes. Make some swaps here and there (want fries: try the sweet potato kind). Small steps make it easier to cope when life gets tough - a fall is more likely to be minor because there won't be much to fall from.

The last three months of 2018 I had too much on to cope with the whole weight loss thing. I had gotten down to about 161 end of September, but life hit and I went back up to around 168 in three months. Mind you, I had already come down from my all time high of 183, so my control has certainly improved. Because I got to 168 and wondered what the hell I was doing to myself. I'm now back down to 160.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    Here's my issue with most "meal plans" that are sold online - they don't TEACH you how to do anything for yourself.

If you are simply TOLD, "eat X amount of this, Y amount of this, and Z amount of that," are you actually learning anything? Do you know WHY you are eating those things in those amounts? What happens if you want to go out to eat with friends or family and they don't have those exact foods on the menu? What if you don't like the foods on the meal plan? What happens if/when you reach your goals - are you going to continue to eat those EXACT same foods in those EXACT same quantities forever - or will you revert to your old eating habits (which is what brought you to this point in the first place)?

I mean literally anyone can write up a "meal plan" for weight loss, but is it GOOD? Is it comprised of foods you ENJOY? Are your nutritional needs being met? Is it flexible enough to allow you to go out to a restaurant sometimes? Is it sustainable for the long-term (or will there be tweaks/modifications once you reach goal weight to put you into maintenance as opposed to just stopping and you fall off a cliff)? Is the meal plan going to be specifically for weight loss (helloooooooooooo crash diet) or will it also support any athletic/exercise endeavors?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It doesn't sound like lack of a plan is the issue. The actual issue is: "life stuff happens and I fall of the horse and have to restart". Hiring an online bodybuilding nutrition expert won't stop life from happening.

Figure out why you keep falling off the wagon and develop strategies to maintain your desired calorie intake while living your life, not instead of living your life.
  • Iragen
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like lack of a plan is the issue. The actual issue is: "life stuff happens and I fall of the horse and have to restart". Hiring an online bodybuilding nutrition expert won't stop life from happening.

Figure out why you keep falling off the wagon and develop strategies to maintain your desired calorie intake while living your life, not instead of living your life.

This is solid. Much appreciated and now that I think about it, you have a point. Between work or social drama I get distracted and end up comparing things and next thing ya know I lack motivation, I can't maintain consistency and excuses start piling up. Time to reevaluate.
  • Iragen
    Options
    And this was really helpful. Thanks again to everyone for their comments. Kind of reminds me of what my trainers director mentioned which was

"dont think of restricting yourself too much with food, try to focus on lifting and working out more frequently and consistently while slowly making small changes in habits... also cook more" lol

Thanks again all.