MFP app using a lot of data?

Options
My friend is wondering if those who use the app find that MFP uses a lot of data? I couldn’t answer because I use the website rather than the app. She has an Android phone, if that makes any difference. Hope this is the right place to maybe get an answer.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I've heard some people say that before. It doesn't for me. I use it a ton and the data usage is pretty modest for me.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, she doesn’t even do the forums. That alone would kill my data, lol.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    Options
    Thanks,@MikePTY
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    Nope. Humongous and unwarranted amount of data. Coinciding with increased ads about 2.5 years back going from memory.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Nope. Humongous and unwarranted amount of data. Coinciding with increased ads about 2.5 years back going from memory.

Hmm I have premium which is maybe why my data usage isn't as bad since no ads.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Hmm I have premium which is maybe why my data usage isn't as bad since no ads.

I use MFP on the computer a lot... so that part is not tracked at all.

On the android app:

Video auto-play is blocked.
    Sound is off for the MFP app.
    Phone Wi-Fi Feb 20 to Mar 20: MFP: 4.97GB out of a total usage of 14.17GB
    Phone Mobile Feb 28 to Mar 20: MFP 535MB out of a total usage of 0.97GB

I would consider that to be fairly high ;-)
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I don't use premium and am on here a ton and my total MB usgae last month for this app was 289mb. On Pace for about the same this month. That is cellular data only.
  • eeanneli
    eeanneli Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Mines about 245mb since start of month. My diet is fairly repetitive so don't have to look up a huge amount of foods when im out though
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    We have unlimited data so don't really pay attention.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    Options
    Thanks everyone! She told me she uses 2.5 (I am assuming she means 2.5GB since she thinks it is high)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Thanks everyone! She told me she uses 2.5 (I am assuming she means 2.5GB since she thinks it is high)

Unless she is fairly active with MFP friends and forum reading/posts that would seem a bit excessive, or an indication that she is 100% on cell data as opposed to also using wi-fi?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Android user, MFP users more data than any other app I have. But I'm on an unlimited plan.
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'd turn off background data when on 4G in the settings if you use Android. I turned wifi off on my phone and it chewed up about 6 gigs.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    rsj7799 wrote: »
    Yes. I'd turn off background data when on 4G in the settings if you use Android. I turned wifi off on my phone and it chewed up about 6 gigs.

On the subject, background mobile data is about 15% of total app usage. And the app self resets to using it on every update (or, somehow, magically, I find myself having to turn off background data again and again whenever I look at the setting)
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    Options
    Thanks again for all your suggestions and help!