Advice on sugar goals

Options
I’m consistently over the sugar goals MFP sets me (though usually under calories), does it matter that much? I just eat a lot of fruit and having a mango, couple of apples, satsumas, and a banana sends my sugar goal through the roof. Should I cut back on fruit?

Honestly I’d rather not, fruit helps me stay full, is delicious, and keeps me under calorie goal. But I’ve been worried about consistently being over goal.

I’m over on carbs too, though not by too much.

Replies

• asantoro1665
    asantoro1665 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe change to lower sugar fruits. From what I’ve been told and read, berries are the healthiest fruits lower in sugars...blueberries, raspberries, strawberries. Bananas and grapes are higher in sugars.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    A lot of people don't actually bother monitoring the sugar. If the majority of your sugar is coming from fruit, I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you have a medical condition that warrants keeping sugar in check.

Going over on carbs is fine too, as long as you're getting the minimum RDA for Protein and Fat, you can let the rest fall where it may.

You can switch the diary view to track fibre or another micro instead of sugar if you have no reason to be tracking it.
  • thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that's comforting to know, I'll not be so worried about it now. Most of it seemed to come from my daily mango, which I'd hate to give up because it's SO TASTY and it fills me up more than anything else.

I'll stick to just looking at my calories and only start tweaking if I stop losing weight (or if a doc tells me to for some reason).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'd make sure your protein is on point and your fat is reasonable and that your fiber is at or above your goal. Also, that you are getting a good amount/variety of veg, not just fruits. If so, and if your sugar is coming mostly from nutrient dense choices like fruit, seems good.

If you were eating so much fruit that you weren't fitting in other things you need, I'd consider switching some of the fruit for veg and adding in sources of protein or healthy fats, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The sugar you should be concerned about is added sugar. Don't worry about naturally occurring sugar from plant based foods. Unfortunately MFP cannot discern between the two.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Mango and banana are high sugar fruits when fully ripe. Personally I don't worry about natural sugar from fruit, although I do avoid fruit juice. I'd rather have the whole fruit, fiber and all.
  • thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I always eat the whole fruit, not juiced, and I do eat a lot of veg as well in my meals. I just didn't mention it because it looked like my sugar was mostly from the fruit not the veg. Thank you all for your advice, it's really helped.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I say as long as your fruit consumption isn't taking away from the rest of your diet...if you are eating so much that you aren't getting adequate protein, fat or a variety of foods, or unless you have a health condition where you have to watch sugar, go for it.

I am actually not a huge fan of fruit. I do have some added sugar in my diet, but also lots of vegetables, protein and grains.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned as to whether or not that much fruit and veg is crowding out other essential nutrition like dietary fat and protein.