weights at home

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
I'm toying with getting some weights for home. I don't have much money to spend or a lot of space to keep them. i wondered if you could suggest what sort of thing i should look for in a starter set - what size and style of weight?

I use machines at gym, and push reasonably heavy weights, but want to learn free weights. (too embarrassed to try at gym)

Replies

• bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of 3 pound weights. Once they stop challenging me I'll buy some 5 pound ones and keep progressing that way. Money is tight. My way will cost me more in the long run, but it's easier to come up with a couple bucks every couple months than a couple dozen bucks one time. :P

ETA: Make sure when you are shopping for them that you check that they are wide enough for your hands. If the bar isn't wide enough you will get blisters. They will hurt. You will hate free weights.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have a set of dumbells for use at home. They're a tad more flexible than barbells (as you can do those reps too, sort of) and really work for me. They cost me 20 pounds from Tesco (sorry if you're in the US!)
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend a TRX, you can do a ton of exercises on it. IIt cost around 150. You say you don't have much money, how much is "not much?!?!?!" if that's too expensive, invest in powerbands, those are also great.
  • wannabeinshapeSandie
    Options
    Where is a good place to get at home weights and bands and balls? What brands for all of the items also?
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I went into TKMAXX and they had a LOAD of reebok weights on sale. Check Argos as well as they are always doing stock reductions, and of course eBay, but sort your eBay search by "distance nearest to me" as weights are heavy, and you may be better of picking them up than having them posted. AMazon as well - you'd be surprised what you can get on Amazon these days. Like Christmas Turkeys - I KID YOU NOT!!!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Just say 'No' to the pink weights!
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You can always look on places like Craiglist. Used weights will do the job! My husband and I have a good collection of weights now. We would just buy another set when we had the extra money. Walmart is pretty cheap too!
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Yeah, at least get 'em in a different colour if you're going to get the coloured ones.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

ROFL

My daughter would disown me if I started lifting pink weights....

I'm mostly wondering what sorts of sizes I need, to be honest. The hint about checking the width of the handle is really useful - thank you!

It wouldn't have occurred to me to look in TKMAxx, I'll have a look when I'm next in town.

Thanks all