Weight loss on steroids

Hi there I was diagnosed with Addison’s last year which is a relatively rare condition whereby my immune system is killing of my adrenal glands. This means I don’t produce enough Cortisol so have to take steroids for the rest of my life. One of the side affects of the steroids is weight gain, particularly around the middle. I work out 3 times a week however feel like I am getting fatter by the day. Has anyone on here had success with weight loss whilst on steroids please?

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    have you talked to your doctor about this? that would be the best thing to do..

but that being said, weight loss comes from a calorie deficit - not working out a specific amount of times per week. if you are not losing weight you are not eating at a deficit. are you counting your calories??
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    'feel like'? have you actually weighed yourself since starting the steroids?
  • misterbrisket
    misterbrisket Posts: 1 Member
    Hello. I have the same problem. Diagnosed with Addison’s and must take hydrocortisone pills to keep me alive. Losing weight is much harder than it used to be. Life is much harder than it used to be. I was underweight before being diagnosed at 149 because I was never hungry. Two bites of food and I was full. Now one year later I’m at 199. I did gain 26 pounds in one week due to water gain from the steroids which contributed to it. I almost died so I’m not complaining. Just frustrated.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    I would speak with your MD...you are going to need to be on replacement corticosteroids for life unfortunately. Some minor dose titrations can help (get closer to what you should need physiologically, easier said than done).
  • Harms97mfp
    Harms97mfp Posts: 2 Member
    I can empathize with you. I was put on hydrocortisone and gained almost 30 pounds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    walesgal1 wrote: »
    Hi there I was diagnosed with Addison’s last year which is a relatively rare condition whereby my immune system is killing of my adrenal glands. This means I don’t produce enough Cortisol so have to take steroids for the rest of my life. One of the side affects of the steroids is weight gain, particularly around the middle. I work out 3 times a week however feel like I am getting fatter by the day. Has anyone on here had success with weight loss whilst on steroids please?

Steroids in and of themselves don't cause weight gain...they cause an increase in appetite. I was always hungry when I was on steroids for about a month.