Struggling with my eating 😔

Options
How does everyone here stay motivated? I keep getting close to my target and then I just completely fall off the wagon. I eat so much crap. Food I don't even like that much. It's almost like self abuse like I'm sabotaging myself! I feel good when I eat healthier and exercise so any tips on how to not completely sabotage myself? 😭

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal the less your body can handle a deficit, so make sure you are eating closer to your TDEE. The biggest mistake people make is the focus on a deficit number instead of your TDEE number which is what your body actually needs. Also, this happens when you don't get enough protein. Protein should be .8 to 1.2 grams per goal body weight, depending on amount of workout (repair) needed. The body is constantly turning over amino acids (protein) and needs a constant supply, usually 20 grams per meal spread out over the course of 24 hours as much as possible.

Here's the Army study on why you need MORE calories as you have LESS body fat, as only the military could do to their subjects in a study because the soldiers body is literally owned by the military, unlike civilian studies which are not as accurate.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in men and 12% in women
    [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

Good luck!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same. Sorry, no advice to give, just commiseration.

Last night instead of dinner I had a bag of hummus chips.

Why didn't I just eat normal food for more satisfaction, less calories, and better overall health?

Who knows.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    closer to goal you want the lowest deficit which gives you more calories (so 0.5lbs/a week).

you can consider a few weeks at maintenance (diet break) if needed.

lastly, i like balance. i fit in foods i enjoy within my calorie goal and try to not think of foods as good or bad. avoiding foods you love can lead to binges. plus this is a way of eating you will need to maintain for life even once you hit your goal right? hitting goal just means you get a few extra calories per day it doesn't give you freedom to go wild and eat whatever.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As far as less-healthful foods go, I try to only eat them if I really like them. I don't waste calories on so-so junk food. For example, I don't particularly care for donuts, so when somebody brings donuts I don't eat them just because they are there.
  • cindytoronto
    cindytoronto Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. When I do it it’s because I am trying to avoid something stressful or just feeling generally anxious. Try to identify how you are feeling right before you choose to eat something that you shouldn’t. If you can , choose to do something else that will help change your mood, something that you really enjoy ( a walk in a nice park, a bubble bath, listen to music, stretching ).

Practice being good to yourself. I wish you the best.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You say you eat crap that you don't even like. Do you ever eat crap you DO like? :smile:

Sometimes people fall off track because their plan is too hard. Do you eat treats you like? Do you enjoy the food your eating? If not, finding ways to fit foods you love into your calorie goal might help.

Also make sure you are getting enough protein, fat, and fiber. They are usually filling, and your body may crave protein and fat if you're not getting enough.

There's also nothing wrong with taking a break sometimes. Take a week or two and eat your maintenance calories every once and awhile and then get back to it.