16:8 Fasting + Counting calories

Is it okay to practice 16:8 fasting and also counting my calories. During my window of eating (1PM - 8PM) I try to hit at least 1600 calories then fast. I exercise moderately for now because my body is sore.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Sure. Lots of people who do intermittent fasting as a way to control their eating. As long as you are getting your required daily amount, it's totally okay to do. It seems like by eating at least 1600, you are not undernourishing yourself, which is good.
  • imisscake93
    imisscake93 Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you so much, the hunger pangs made me feel like I was doing something wrong. Lol!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Thank you so much, the hunger pangs made me feel like I was doing something wrong. Lol!

Hunger is one thing I just don't see the point of tolerating.
  • imisscake93

I was hoping it would help control my appetite, for a long time I’ve been someone who will eat a large meal and an hour later be snacking. ):
  • imisscake93
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I find the idea that one needs the help of "experienced practitioners" to eat 16:8 or what not kind of odd. You just need to try it (if interested) and see if it works for you.

OP, one question is if you were less hungry eating the same calories on a different schedule or if the calorie limitation is new to you. If it's new, you might just want to get used to it, but also considering whether it's the right number might be worthwhile -- how many lbs did you tell MFP you planned to lose per week?

When I first started I felt hungry at times I'd been used to sometimes grabbing a snack, and I found it helpful to just eat raw veg in those periods for a few days until I started feeling fine just eating at my planned meals.

All of it is very new to me, I’ve never counted calories or considered fasting until two weeks ago. Unfortunately I do not have a way to weigh myself yet, whoever is shipping the scale I ordered is taking their sweet time.

My starting weight was 220 pounds and MFP calculated that with moderate exercise and 1600 calories a day I would be 210 in a month. As I said, I can’t weigh myself but I’ve noticed weight loss in my face and neck a little. Also older clothes that were a bit too tight are fitting better. So what I’ve been doing is definitely helping, but like I said I have a huge problem with being hungry.

Something I forgot to mention in the original post is that I do a “zig zag diet”, where I have cheat days (Friday & Saturday) and eat 1800-2000 calories. I read it keeps you from “plateauing”, any advice on that?
  • mpapa1856
    mpapa1856 Posts: 21 Member
    Starting at 287 I lost 25 lbs in three months and tried 1800 calories per day but could not sustain it. I think one pound a week is a much healthier approach and so now I am trying 2400 calories a day and feeling better like I can do it long term. I do think the cheat days idea is good as a lifestyle because that flexibility allows for some social eating and drinking that is fun and helps build relationships with significant others.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member

I was hoping it would help control my appetite, for a long time I’ve been someone who will eat a large meal and an hour later be snacking. ):

It seems like if you can make yourself fast, you can make yourself not be snacking an hour after your meal.
  • emmajunesmith19
    emmajunesmith19 Posts: 11 Member
    You get used to the hunger after a while! Your body adjusts and fed used to the timing & if you are eating whole nutritious food with lots of protein in the time frame you give yourself you should be good.
    I eat at 11/12 and stop dead at 7pm haha! Need to eat later so I can sleep without feeling hungry. Good luck