Interval Running

Options
Hi all,
I have completed the C25K (yay) and now want to improve my running speed. What intervals would you suggest to do at that kind of distance, and if I were to do one long run a week, how far should I go? I am a pretty slow runner....I figure my current 5K time is about 37 minutes.
Thanks!

Replies

• bloodstar
    bloodstar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Caveat: IANAFE (I Am Not A Fitness Expert)

To start with, congrats on completing the C25K!

Well, let's start simple, what's the furthest you've run in one sitting?

The second is what would be your first goal in a 5K?

Typically there are three major elements of any running program, Endurance, Stamina, and Speed

For this example, I'll use a goal speed of around 30 minutes for the 5K as a starting point.

I'd suggest working yourself up to being able to run about 5 miles or so at a slow steady pace. Being able to run further will help build your overall fitness and give your body the ability to handle shorter distances faster. If your comfortable, you can move past 5 miles, but I'd suggest being able to run 5 miles before starting any sort of interval training.

If you can run 5 miles, then you could try something like the following
    1/2 mile to 1 mile jog warm up, stretch.
    1 mile run in 9 minutes (technically I know a 30 minute 5k is a little over a 9 minute pace, but I did say *around* 30).
    slow jog and/or walk a mile (depending on how you feel, figure out how much jogging and walking you want to do)
    1 mile run in 9 minutes again
    1/2 mile to 1 mile cool down jog/walk.

The idea is to condition your body to the pace you want to run.

The second method of Interval training is Fartlek running, take one of your medium runs, and after the first half mile or mile, start picking land marks, and run hard (but not sprint) to the next land mark. The time you spend on the hard pace should be anywhere from 10 - 30 seconds or so. Then resume your jog for a period of time until you have recovered somewhat. Then pick another land mark and repeat. Then take it easy on the last half mile to mile of the run. The idea is similar to the Interval training I mentioned above, but there's a slight emphasis on the faster aspect of stamina workouts as well as the unpredictability of the workout.

Remember, I'm not a fitness expert, and what I'm suggesting may not be the best idea for you. take the time to google 'Interval Running' and 'Fartlek running' to get a better understanding of the logic and reasoning behind those stamina training methods.

Good luck and happy running!
  • julest25
    julest25 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rhodesar
    rhodesar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My goal is 5K in 30 minutes...that would be great. I will try those methods...thanks. By the way, what does "bump" mean?
  • bloodstar
    Options
    I'm guessing 'bump' is either to move the topic back to the top for other people to read, or for a reminder for that person so when they look at their forum topics/posts, it'll be in there for them to read.

One final note, listen to your body. If you're not used to interval training, it can put a lot of stress on the body.So the first few times, don't try to push through if you're really struggling. it's better to back off a little in the short term than to end up injured and having to take weeks off and losing most of your progress.
  • rhodesar
    Options
    Thanks. I tried to do my long run yesterday and ended up exhausted and miles from home. Argghh. Anyway, I'll keep plodding along and realise I have to listen to my body a little better. Anyone got any suggestions for a good way to track how fast and far I'm going...not too expensive! (I don't have a smart phone booo).
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You can track your runs online after you get home - go to Runkeeper.com or Mapmyrun.com and you can manually enter your course and it will tell you how many kms. If you check the time on your watch, you'll be able to work out your speed.
    There are so many different options for running training incuding intervals - have a look at runkeeper or google "interval training" and you will find heaps of programs, and they just about all include intervals, easy runs, long runs etc.
  • polly_polly
    polly_polly Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump, and thanks for the advice.
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bloodstar
    Options
    Thanks. I tried to do my long run yesterday and ended up exhausted and miles from home. Argghh. Anyway, I'll keep plodding along and realise I have to listen to my body a little better. Anyone got any suggestions for a good way to track how fast and far I'm going...not too expensive! (I don't have a smart phone booo).

The previous poster mentioned some good sites. I personally use http://www.usatf.org/routes/map/

one little trick and cheat that I use on my longer runs is to find a loop about half the distance I want to run, and run it twice
    so a 4 mile run is 2, 2 mile loops. that way you can
    a) stop and get water as needed
    b) you can cut it short if needed
    c) even if you're out at the furthest point and crack and have to stop, you aren't as far away.

hope this helps!
  • rhodesar
    Options
    Sounds good...thanks for all the advice.