Options
luaP852350
luaP852350 Posts: 131 Member
I'm doing approx 8500 steps a day would that be very active or just active ? 🤔

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between Lightly Active and Active.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between Lightly Active and Active.

Yup...I'd probably just go with light active up to 10K steps and active after that.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Assuming that all those steps are non-exercise steps. Just average daily activity steps. If you choose lightly active for now, you can always tweek this at a later date to Active if you think you’re losing faster than you expect after 2moths or so. Better to underestimate activity if your goal is weight loss or maintenance.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    About 7500 or so is the upper limit for lightly active (MFP uses an activity factor of 1.4)
    I would consider somewhere north of 12,500 to be past active (MFP af = 1.6)
    And past 15,500 to be getting close to moving beyond very active (MFP af = 1.8)

assumes accurate food intake logging.

verify your calories in-calories out balance against your weight trend.

get trending weight to use in calculation by using weight trend app or web site such as Happy Scale/iphone, Libra/android, Trendweight.com/connect free fitbit.com account to use for input, weightgrapher.com

To make meaningful decisions, women with monthly hormonal variations should look into 4-6 weeks of daily weigh ins and logging. Everyone else should take into consideration at least 2-4 weeks of data.

If just starting out I would set to Lightly active and correct using observed results over time. This is because it is particularly challenging to immediately achieve "perfect" food intake logging.

I would also consider my total deficit in relation to my TDEE and limit my deficits to 25% of TDEE if currently obese and 20% of my TDEE otherwise.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Lightly active is generally considered up to 10000 steps. That's probably where I would put you.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Yeah, as already said start at lightly active and follow the targets calories you're allocated.

Then adjust, if necessary. After 4 or so weeks take a look at your rate of loss. If you're finding that you're not losing at the predicted rate then try dropping the activity level down a notch, if you're losing quicker than expected and you're struggling/hungry frequently then you can go up an activity level.
  • AvianDB
    AvianDB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Lightly Active at most